As we anticipated in the preview article, the weather was the biggest story of the meet. The cold and rain caused problems with the timing system (though the hard work of meet management fought through those issues), forced the cancellation of all four jumping events, and definitely impacted the sprint performances. It got particularly bad right after the lunch break, during the sprint medleys and the 4x100's, when the rain and the wind both picked up. That cleared away before long, fortunately, and conditions were better for the final three events of the day. Depite these difficulties, there were several noteworthy performances during the course of the meet.
Distance Rules The Day
As you might expect when the temperatures are in the 50's, the distance runners had a big day. The morning was loaded with top performances, from the first gun in the girls' 4x1600 to the conclusion of the Distance Medley right before the lunch break. In the middle, there were the Invitational 1600's, which have become the featured event of the meet in recent years. The two races did not disappoint this time around, starting with Ryen Frazier's PR of 4:53.71 NC #2 NC #8 All-Time. Behind her, Blair Ramsay (Grimsley) also upped her all-time best with her 4:57.12 NC #3 NC #17 All-Time. The boys' race went down much the same way, with Ryan Speer (North Raleigh Christian) breaking from the field with 200 to go to claim the win in 4:15.06 NC #1. Nick Linder (Providence Day) clocked 4:16.59 NC #3, while Mihret Coulter (Apex) broke 4:20 for the first time to earn NC #5.
The Cardinal Gibbons girls controlled the morning's distance relays, running 21:25.57 NC #1 in the 4x1600 and 12:45.46 NC #5 in the DMR to take home two wins. Broughton's boys pulled away to win the 4x1600 commandingly, posting a time of 18:10.69 NC #1. The Green Hope boys claimed the DMR in 10:38.15 NC #3, holding off Jordan's 10:42.87 NC #4, then followed that performance with another gold in the 4x800.
Deep, Experienced Sprint Crews Overcome
The girls' sprint events began in the mid-morning with the Invitational 100 Hurdles, won by Jacklyn Howell (Southeast Raleigh). Not long after that, Sydnei Murphy (Apex) ran 12.18 to take the Invitational 100; when you put that time in context and compare it to other performances throughout the day, it is actually very impressive. After lunch came the 800 Sprint Medley, which Parkland led until Layla White (Cary) took the baton for the 400-meter anchor leg. White brought her team home in first with a 1:49.22 NC #1 US #25, but that was the last time Parkland would lose on the day. The Mustangs swept the 4x100, 4x200, and 4x400, with the most impressive being their 4:01.13 at the end of a long day.
On the boys' side, the Invitational races were both extremely close. First Emmanuel Jackson (Sanderson) dueled Xavier Carter (West Johnston) all the way to the line in the 110 Hurdles, taking a 0.03-second win with his 14.44, and then the 100 Dash happened. Maybe it was the cold equalizing everyone, or maybe the wet surface affected the favorites, but the top 5 boys crossed in what appeared to be a dead tie. Check out the super-tight finish, first from the timing camera and then from head-on:
After close examination, it was Jonathan Avery (Cary Academy) upsetting several better-known sprinters with the 11.00 win, a time that makes him a potential title contender in the NCISAA 3A ranks. Unfortunately, that wasn't a omen of things to come, as there wasn't another close sprint race the rest of the day. After the Apex boys claimed the 1600 Sprint Medley (on a strong 800 anchor by Carl Geiger) in 3:37.53, Knightdale took over in what would prove to be a mirror image of Parkland's performance. It started with a very respectable 43.46 in the 4x100, during some of the worst weather of the day, and then the Knights proceeded to post a very strong 1:28.90 in the 4x200. They closed out the afternoon with a 3:21.90 in the 4x400, showing that their limited early race schedule in the spring hasn't robbed them of any depth.
MileSplit is on-site with photo and video coverage at the Kansas Relays at KU in Lawrence this weekend along with live stream at Mt. SAC Relays (via Flotrack) and the New York Relays (on MileSplit).
The Invitational 1600's always attract the top talent in the state, and with cool and drizzly weather could be extremely fast.
Photos: Apex Relays by CoachGeorgeRJR
- 100 Meter Hurdles - Jacklyn Howell (Southeast Raleigh) 14.65; Ebony Williams (Parkland ) 14.88; Breanne Bygrave (Wakefield) 15.30; Kayli Nichols (Sanderson) 15.72; Jessica Watson (Reagan, Ronald W) 15.83; Ashley Cawthon (Holly Springs) 16.26; Hannah Dunston (Knightdale) 16.31; Nia Brown (Ravenscroft School) 17.03;
- 100 Meter Dash - Sydnei Murphy (Apex) 12.18 SB; Katlin Sherman (Parkland ) 12.29; Ama-Selina Tchume (Wakefield) 12.39; Atlanta Woodall (Riverside (4A)) 12.55 SB; Isis Brooks (East Forsyth) 12.75; Teri Strickland (West Johnston) 12.89;Kaila Lewis (Millbrook) 12.92; Jocelyn Culbreath (Reagan, Ronald W) 13.11;
- 1,600 Meter Run - Ryen Frazier (Ravenscroft School) 4:53.71 SB; Blair Ramsey (Grimsley) 4:57.12 SB; Malia Ellington (Community School of Davidson) 4:57.63 SB; Eliza Dekker (Durham Academy) 5:01.80 SB; Maysa Araba (Carrboro) 5:04.23 SB; Rebekah Greengrass (Panther Creek) 5:11.81; Clare McNamara (East Chapel Hill) 5:12.75 SB; Cayla Rodney (Cary) 5:17.76 SB; Sarah Bigelow (Leesville Road) 5:18.65 SB; Hannah Moerk (East Forsyth) 5:18.97 SB; Savannah Lips (Green Hope) 5:23.86 SB; Cierra DellaRova (Enloe) 5:29.08 SB; Amanda Wiggenhorn (Cardinal Gibbons) 5:29.98 SB;
- 4x100 Meter Relay - Parkland 49.08; Wakefield 50.05; Reagan, Ronald W 50.79; Green Hope 52.08; Holly Springs 52.45; Broughton 52.53; Cary 52.86; Millbrook 53.21; Pine Forest 53.34;
- 4x200 Meter Relay - Parkland 1:42.22; Reagan, Ronald W 1:48.67; Holly Springs 1:49.03; Green Hope 1:49.17; Wakefield 1:50.03; Millbrook 1:50.91;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Parkland 4:01.13; Sanderson 4:03.67; Wakefield 4:06.10; Pine Forest 4:16.65; Leesville Road 4:18.23; Ravenscroft School 4:18.58; Broughton 4:18.62; Carrboro 4:21.02; Millbrook 4:22.92; Chapel Hill 4:29.38; Apex 4:33.81;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Leesville Road 9:43.11; Green Hope 9:46.75; Broughton 10:11.51; Carrboro 10:17.33; Chapel Hill 10:20.31; Wakefield 10:35.17; Jordan 10:53.32; Millbrook 10:53.63; Enloe 11:00.02;
- Discus - Koffia Lipscomb (Northern Durham) 111-4; Vaniah Russell (Middle Creek) 99-1; Amber Daniel (Grimsley) 98-9;
- Distance Medley Relay - Cardinal Gibbons 12:45.46; Carrboro 12:55.20; Leesville Road 12:57.91; Green Hope 12:58.04;
- Shot Put - Mookie Chavis (Northern Durham) 35-5; Amber Daniel (Grimsley) 34-4; Tay'lore Moore (Green Hope) 34-0; Dejah Jones (Wakefield) 31-3.5; Jessica Villanueva (Pine Forest) 31-2;
- 800 Meter Sprint Medley Relay - Cary 1:49.22; Parkland 1:50.22; Wakefield 1:52.40; Broughton 1:56.03; Wake Forest 1:57.05; Green Hope 1:58.78; Apex 1:59.22; Pine Forest 2:00.18; Athens Drive 2:02.18; East Wake 2:03.42; Leesville Road2:03.58; Chapel Hill 2:04.18; Fuquay-Varina 2:04.47; Sanderson 2:04.69; Middle Creek 2:06.71; Panther Creek 2:08.00; Carrboro 2:09.36; Millbrook 2:10.57; Cedar Ridge 2:13.48; Enloe 2:19.72;
- 100 Meter Dash - Jonathan Avery (Cary Academy) 11.00 SB; Tyler Cook (Apex) 11.01 SB; Therius Styles (Broughton) 11.02; Khairee Lewis (Sanderson) 11.07; Jakara King-Penn (Reagan, Ronald W) 11.09; Isiah Southerland (Jordan) 11.29;
- 110 Meter Hurdles - Emmanuel Jackson (Sanderson) 14.44; Xavier Carter (West Johnston) 14.47 SB; Dexter Lamar Brewer Jr (Southeast Raleigh) 15.00 SB; Billy Murganti (Green Hope) 15.51; Dominick Patterson (Enloe) 15.82;
- 1,600 Meter Run - Ryan Speer (North Raleigh Christian Academy) 4:15.06 SB; Nick Linder (Providence Day School) 4:16.59 SB; Mihret Coulter (Apex) 4:19.36 SB; John Dalton Rohr (Broughton) 4:20.42 SB; Jon Knight (Northern Guilford) 4:24.01 SB; Ryan Brady (East Chapel Hill) 4:24.74 SB; Michael Miller (Cary Academy) 4:24.87; Chris O'Brien (Raleigh Charter) 4:25.13 SB; Parker Lee (Fuquay-Varina) 4:25.25 SB; Alex Boseman (Millbrook) 4:26.22 SB; Carson Ellerby (Leesville Road) 4:26.48; Justin Burkey (Garner) 4:26.50 SB; Colton Lawson (Northern Durham) 4:28.03; Daniel Beamer (Jordan) 4:30.04; Sam Maxfield (Pine Forest) 4:31.45;
- 4x100 Meter Relay - Knightdale 43.46; Reagan, Ronald W 44.28; Millbrook 44.45; Glenn 44.83; Pine Forest 45.02;
- 4x200 Meter Relay - Knightdale 1:28.90; Northeast Guilford 1:31.44; Reagan, Ronald W 1:31.85; Millbrook 1:33.27; Sanderson 1:33.73; Holly Springs 1:33.98;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Knightdale 3:21.90; Northeast Guilford 3:24.52; Millbrook 3:31.61; Northern Guilford 3:33.40; East Chapel Hill 3:34.19; Enloe 3:34.70; Glenn 3:36.50; Broughton 3:38.82;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Green Hope 8:03.20; Northern Guilford 8:08.96; Leesville Road 8:10.89; Broughton 8:13.00; Providence Day School 8:13.41; Cedar Ridge 8:20.50; Apex 8:20.54; Knightdale 8:31.00; East Chapel Hill 8:32.96; Carrboro8:34.60; Millbrook 8:35.91; Jordan 8:36.74; Panther Creek 8:39.35; Grimsley 8:45.11; Ravenscroft School 8:53.14; Parkland 8:56.18;
- Discus - Damontay Rhem (East Wake) 147-0; Jason Lockamy (Apex) 143-9; Iyin Battle (East Chapel Hill) 140-1; Ryan Davis (Pine Forest) 136-2; Alex Ives (Cedar Ridge) 133-9; Shane Jones (East Chapel Hill) 132-2; Magnus Herweyer (Carrboro) 130-4;
- Distance Medley Relay - Green Hope 10:38.15; Jordan 10:42.87; Leesville Road 10:55.89; West Johnston 10:57.33; Broughton 11:13.31; Millbrook 11:14.43; Knightdale 11:14.69; Sanderson 11:14.84; Parkland 11:28.63;
- Shot Put - Elijah Mallory (Wakefield) 50-10; Alex Porter (West Johnston) 47-7.5; Ryan Davis (Pine Forest) 45-5; Terrell Adams (Middle Creek) 45-2; Magnus Herweyer (Carrboro) 44-11.5;
- Sprint Medley Relay - Apex 3:37.53;