Article Comment: Hadley Continues to Impress Over Long Distances
04/18/2012 8:06:46 AM
User
Nicely written article, we appreciate your time and the first rate (and often thankless) job you are doing with the website. While we are obviously proud of her accomplishments in running, her mom and I are more proud of the person she is becoming. Special thanks for noticing that as well.
Nicely written article, we appreciate your time and the first rate (and often thankless) job you are doing with the website.
While we are obviously proud of her accomplishments in running, her mom and I are more proud of the person she is becoming. Special thanks for noticing that as well.
04/18/2012 2:30:09 PM
User
The only reason milesplit wrote that article is because you nagged them for publicity earlier this week . Everyone knows alana is talented she gets enough attention. Unfortunately however you and her have chosen her destiny isn't with the nchsaa but on higher end races like halfs and 10k which are not included in high school competition therefore NCRunners shouldn't have to acknowlede her well being since she is not a part of our Oraganization.
The only reason milesplit wrote that article is because you nagged them for publicity earlier this week . Everyone knows alana is talented she gets enough attention. Unfortunately however you and her have chosen her destiny isn't with the nchsaa but on higher end races like halfs and 10k which are not included in high school competition therefore NCRunners shouldn't have to acknowlede her well being since she is not a part of our Oraganization.
04/18/2012 2:53:33 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@UncSports I don't know you and I don't know the Hadleys. Now that I have that out of the way -- you are a very mean-spirited and jealous individual. I would be williing to guess that you have some kind of connection to the school team for which Alana is not running. For some reason you would like to continue the very tired conversation about her that began back during cross country season. I did not weigh my feable opinion then (I think), but I will now: Bravo to Alana Hadley, one of the best high school distance runners in the state! She has chosen to compete in distances that are not contested on the high school level and excelling on a national level. For a sight that highlights even marginal high school athletes performances, I think it is a worthy cause to highlight this young lady also. Maybe there are other parents who have runners who would rather compete at those distances and did not know it was possible -- well, now they know a way exists and can look to Alana and her parents for guidance. Thank you, Hadleys!! Now UncSports, go enjoy your teams accomplishments without feeling the need to be so ugly towards another child and her parents.
@UncSports I don't know you and I don't know the Hadleys. Now that I have that out of the way -- you are a very mean-spirited and jealous individual. I would be williing to guess that you have some kind of connection to the school team for which Alana is not running. For some reason you would like to continue the very tired conversation about her that began back during cross country season. I did not weigh my feable opinion then (I think), but I will now:

Bravo to Alana Hadley, one of the best high school distance runners in the state! She has chosen to compete in distances that are not contested on the high school level and excelling on a national level. For a sight that highlights even marginal high school athletes performances, I think it is a worthy cause to highlight this young lady also. Maybe there are other parents who have runners who would rather compete at those distances and did not know it was possible -- well, now they know a way exists and can look to Alana and her parents for guidance. Thank you, Hadleys!!

Now UncSports, go enjoy your teams accomplishments without feeling the need to be so ugly towards another child and her parents.
04/18/2012 3:14:38 PM
User
UncSports Since when is NCRunners only "supposed" to be about athletes that run for their HS teams?????? Go away, stay away. S-)
UncSports

Since when is NCRunners only "supposed" to be about athletes that run for their HS teams??????

Go away, stay away.
04/18/2012 3:47:19 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@UncSports I almost didn't publish the article, for the very reason you cited. However, I should tell you that I actually began the article Sunday, before Mr. Hadley posted. So, it's not true, although it might appear that way. As for "gets enough attention," well, I haven't written a thing about her since December, and even then she was just a small part of the Footlocker coverage. I deliberately avoid writing about everything she does, because I don't want there to be "Alana overload." However, when she runs track or cross country races, she is relevant. By your argument, should I ignore those who run for private schools, because they choose not to run for their local public school?
@UncSports I almost didn't publish the article, for the very reason you cited. However, I should tell you that I actually began the article Sunday, before Mr. Hadley posted. So, it's not true, although it might appear that way.

As for "gets enough attention," well, I haven't written a thing about her since December, and even then she was just a small part of the Footlocker coverage. I deliberately avoid writing about everything she does, because I don't want there to be "Alana overload." However, when she runs track or cross country races, she is relevant.

By your argument, should I ignore those who run for private schools, because they choose not to run for their local public school?
04/18/2012 4:49:31 PM
Coach
Wow! This is an impressive young lady who deserves the coverage. I had never heard of her until this article, and now I am both intrigued and impressed by her accomplishments. The site is called ncrunners, and she most certainly is an NC runner of the highest caliber! Best of luck Alana!
Wow! This is an impressive young lady who deserves the coverage. I had never heard of her until this article, and now I am both intrigued and impressed by her accomplishments. The site is called ncrunners, and she most certainly is an NC runner of the highest caliber! Best of luck Alana!
04/18/2012 5:52:19 PM
Coach
While I have no issues with her being recognized on the site, I think that it should be limited to "out of season" times. MileSplit is the premier HIGH SCHOOL t&f/xc network not high school aged runners network. There are athletes that are putting up huge times and efforts against high school competition that deserve to get full articles during the season.
While I have no issues with her being recognized on the site, I think that it should be limited to "out of season" times. MileSplit is the premier HIGH SCHOOL t&f/xc network not high school aged runners network. There are athletes that are putting up huge times and efforts against high school competition that deserve to get full articles during the season.
04/18/2012 7:05:12 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@lhayes I can understand your argument (and I appreciate the polite way that you expressed it). In fact, I also had that concern. However, I have two reasons why I think it is justified, which is why I started the article on Sunday. 1. Those "in-season" athletes get recognized on NCRunners in many ways, on a weekly basis: meet recap articles, photos in the photo albums, the week in review, senior spotlights, and even in the rankings themselves. None of those happen for Alana, except when she runs Foot Locker-related races twice a year. Heck, you can even factor in the [url=https://twitter.com/#!/NCRunners]NCRunners Twitter feed[/url]! 2. While there are some around the state who are putting up huge times, indeed, there aren't any other athletes who are setting single-age national records. The closest would be Bryce Love, who has set age-group national records in summer track. As much as I would love to write weekly articles featuring individuals (in addition to the senior spotlight), unfortunately I only have about 20-30 hours per week to spend on the website (due to the 40 I spend teaching). If I can go full-time at some point in the future, I will, and then I think you will see more deserving athletes get articles. In the meantime, I will have to reserve them for special cases, and I just think that Alana qualifies. I would expect to hear about her 2-3 times per year, and I think that's reasonable.
@lhayes I can understand your argument (and I appreciate the polite way that you expressed it). In fact, I also had that concern. However, I have two reasons why I think it is justified, which is why I started the article on Sunday.

1. Those "in-season" athletes get recognized on NCRunners in many ways, on a weekly basis: meet recap articles, photos in the photo albums, the week in review, senior spotlights, and even in the rankings themselves. None of those happen for Alana, except when she runs Foot Locker-related races twice a year. Heck, you can even factor in the NCRunners Twitter feed!

2. While there are some around the state who are putting up huge times, indeed, there aren't any other athletes who are setting single-age national records. The closest would be Bryce Love, who has set age-group national records in summer track.

As much as I would love to write weekly articles featuring individuals (in addition to the senior spotlight), unfortunately I only have about 20-30 hours per week to spend on the website (due to the 40 I spend teaching). If I can go full-time at some point in the future, I will, and then I think you will see more deserving athletes get articles. In the meantime, I will have to reserve them for special cases, and I just think that Alana qualifies. I would expect to hear about her 2-3 times per year, and I think that's reasonable.
04/18/2012 10:44:14 PM
Coach
[quote=CoachGeorgeRJR]@lhayes I can understand your argument (and I appreciate the polite way that you expressed it). In fact, I also had that concern. However, I have two reasons why I think it is justified, which is why I started the article on Sunday. 1. Those "in-season" athletes get recognized on NCRunners in many ways, on a weekly basis: meet recap articles, photos in the photo albums, the week in review, senior spotlights, and even in the rankings themselves. None of those happen for Alana, except when she runs Foot Locker-related races twice a year. Heck, you can even factor in the NCRunners Twitter feed! 2. While there are some around the state who are putting up huge times, indeed, there aren't any other athletes who are setting single-age national records. The closest would be Bryce Love, who has set age-group national records in summer track. As much as I would love to write weekly articles featuring individuals (in addition to the senior spotlight), unfortunately I only have about 20-30 hours per week to spend on the website (due to the 40 I spend teaching). If I can go full-time at some point in the future, I will, and then I think you will see more deserving athletes get articles. In the meantime, I will have to reserve them for special cases, and I just think that Alana qualifies. I would expect to hear about her 2-3 times per year, and I think that's reasonable.[/quote] @CoachGeorgeRJR Points taken. I guess that I just don't get caught up in age group records that much. Especially at distances that most elite hs kids never run. I think that the kid is a great runner and from what I read a better young lady so she definitely deserves any press that she gets. That being said, it seems like every article on the site about her will only open her and her dad up to negative comments that they don't deserve. That's the only reason that I suggested writing about her during the post season when she is unattached and competing against hs runners.
CoachGeorgeRJR wrote:
@lhayes I can understand your argument (and I appreciate the polite way that you expressed it). In fact, I also had that concern. However, I have two reasons why I think it is justified, which is why I started the article on Sunday.

1. Those "in-season" athletes get recognized on NCRunners in many ways, on a weekly basis: meet recap articles, photos in the photo albums, the week in review, senior spotlights, and even in the rankings themselves. None of those happen for Alana, except when she runs Foot Locker-related races twice a year. Heck, you can even factor in the NCRunners Twitter feed!

2. While there are some around the state who are putting up huge times, indeed, there aren't any other athletes who are setting single-age national records. The closest would be Bryce Love, who has set age-group national records in summer track.

As much as I would love to write weekly articles featuring individuals (in addition to the senior spotlight), unfortunately I only have about 20-30 hours per week to spend on the website (due to the 40 I spend teaching). If I can go full-time at some point in the future, I will, and then I think you will see more deserving athletes get articles. In the meantime, I will have to reserve them for special cases, and I just think that Alana qualifies. I would expect to hear about her 2-3 times per year, and I think that's reasonable.

@CoachGeorgeRJR Points taken. I guess that I just don't get caught up in age group records that much. Especially at distances that most elite hs kids never run. I think that the kid is a great runner and from what I read a better young lady so she definitely deserves any press that she gets. That being said, it seems like every article on the site about her will only open her and her dad up to negative comments that they don't deserve. That's the only reason that I suggested writing about her during the post season when she is unattached and competing against hs runners.
04/19/2012 12:06:47 PM
User
I do not know who UncSports is, but whoever you are you need to take some chill pills. Alana Hadley can run! I am not sure of her character, but NC Milesplit is not about that, it is about runners. Whether she runs for herself or a team, SHE CAN RUN. To achieve those times she is driven and committed. If most runners could truly say that, Coach George would have to go full time because he would be writing around the clock about them. Let her have her 15 minutes of fame. She obviously has earned it.
I do not know who UncSports is, but whoever you are you need to take some chill pills. Alana Hadley can run! I am not sure of her character, but NC Milesplit is not about that, it is about runners. Whether she runs for herself or a team, SHE CAN RUN. To achieve those times she is driven and committed. If most runners could truly say that, Coach George would have to go full time because he would be writing around the clock about them. Let her have her 15 minutes of fame. She obviously has earned it.
04/19/2012 9:29:09 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Coach George, I appreciate how you go the extra mile to give the parents and fans of NC xc/track and field a wonderful resource to follow the athletes. Keep up the outstanding work. In a perfect world you wouldn't have to defend who you choose to write about, everyone would just be appreciative.
Coach George,

I appreciate how you go the extra mile to give the parents and fans of NC xc/track and field a wonderful resource to follow the athletes. Keep up the outstanding work. In a perfect world you wouldn't have to defend who you choose to write about, everyone would just be appreciative.
04/27/2012 6:16:41 PM
Coach
I was lucky to get a chance to see Alana run the 10,000 at Sea Ray Relays and it was impressive. Also had the pleasure of listening to Mark at the Distance Summit back in January. People that want to criticize either one of them likely have their own problems they need to address.
I was lucky to get a chance to see Alana run the 10,000 at Sea Ray Relays and it was impressive.

Also had the pleasure of listening to Mark at the Distance Summit back in January.

People that want to criticize either one of them likely have their own problems they need to address.
04/28/2012 10:33:13 AM
User
Interesting comments. From a rookie "running culture" parent who doesn't understand what or what should not be posted here I have my anectode. My daughter who is a freshman this year met Alana at a 5K a couple years ago that she was running just for fun. Alana ended up doing extremely well and was very gracious and kind when she spoke with C. It happened again at another 5k and because of that C decided that she would try Cross Country and Track and has done fairly well for never really running before. I guess what I am saying is that regardless or not as parents and coaches all we really should care about is that are kids grow and learn and use running to become better people and learn lessons that will help them in their life and future. In that case we should celebrate athletes who are role models. Alana is a role model to C and they have only spoken a few times. Her father put it best when he said "he and her mom are more proud of the person she has become." If one or 2 or even more young ladies are inspired by the article and take up running, we are all better for it. That's really what this is all about. That's my 2 cents..
Interesting comments. From a rookie "running culture" parent who doesn't understand what or what should not be posted here I have my anectode. My daughter who is a freshman this year met Alana at a 5K a couple years ago that she was running just for fun. Alana ended up doing extremely well and was very gracious and kind when she spoke with C. It happened again at another 5k and because of that C decided that she would try Cross Country and Track and has done fairly well for never really running before. I guess what I am saying is that regardless or not as parents and coaches all we really should care about is that are kids grow and learn and use running to become better people and learn lessons that will help them in their life and future. In that case we should celebrate athletes who are role models. Alana is a role model to C and they have only spoken a few times. Her father put it best when he said "he and her mom are more proud of the person she has become." If one or 2 or even more young ladies are inspired by the article and take up running, we are all better for it. That's really what this is all about. That's my 2 cents..
04/28/2012 9:34:32 PM
User
Great article! And for a stat junkie like me this site is a truly awesome experience every time I visit.
Great article! And for a stat junkie like me this site is a truly awesome experience every time I visit.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.