New 20m exchange zones during indoor Polar Bear meets???
12/05/2019 2:06:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Based on the indoor rules there’s not an acceleration zone. So since the exchange zone is now 30 meters does that mean the first leg is always running less than 200m and the anchor more than likely runs 200m plus during the 4x200? Or are you able to line up within any section of the exchange zone? I’m A little confused on what we can and cannot do during indoor at Polar Bear Meets on this subject.
Based on the indoor rules there's not an acceleration zone. So since the exchange zone is now 30 meters does that mean the first leg is always running less than 200m and the anchor more than likely runs 200m plus during the 4x200? Or are you able to line up within any section of the exchange zone? I'm A little confused on what we can and cannot do during indoor at Polar Bear Meets on this subject.
12/05/2019 7:07:04 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I look forward to other people's answers to this. Our track was resurfaced a couple of months ago with the new exchange zones painted on it. It's going to be REALLY difficult to judge exchange zones, but that's a different topic. We had our first Polar Bear yesterday & did what we normally do- for the last exchange, everyone lines up at the start of the lane one gold zone like 4x400/4x800. I believe that's correct but I'm not 100% sure. Again, looking for confirmation or correction from someone more knowledgeable than myself.
I look forward to other people's answers to this. Our track was resurfaced a couple of months ago with the new exchange zones painted on it. It's going to be REALLY difficult to judge exchange zones, but that's a different topic. We had our first Polar Bear yesterday & did what we normally do- for the last exchange, everyone lines up at the start of the lane one gold zone like 4x400/4x800. I believe that's correct but I'm not 100% sure. Again, looking for confirmation or correction from someone more knowledgeable than myself.
12/06/2019 7:36:52 AM
User
@CoachSpencer My understanding is that the 30meter exchange zone will work just like the 20 meter exchange zone in the 4x400 and 4x800. Athletes must begin in the exchange zone and complete the exchange before the end. It is easier to judge because you can make sure that athletes are set up in the exchange zone and the likelihood of going past the end of the exchange zone should be much less. It works just like the old 20 meter exchange zone used previously in track in that athletes must begin within the acceleration zone, but the difference is that that acceleration zone now becomes part of the legal exchange zone. Obviously, it is possible to have one runner run much farther than another, but the expected result is that athletes will use the 1st 10 meters to accelerate and then make the exchange in the last 20 meters.
@CoachSpencer
My understanding is that the 30meter exchange zone will work just like the 20 meter exchange zone in the 4x400 and 4x800. Athletes must begin in the exchange zone and complete the exchange before the end. It is easier to judge because you can make sure that athletes are set up in the exchange zone and the likelihood of going past the end of the exchange zone should be much less. It works just like the old 20 meter exchange zone used previously in track in that athletes must begin within the acceleration zone, but the difference is that that acceleration zone now becomes part of the legal exchange zone. Obviously, it is possible to have one runner run much farther than another, but the expected result is that athletes will use the 1st 10 meters to accelerate and then make the exchange in the last 20 meters.
12/06/2019 1:34:15 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@omegaafterdark It depends on where the exchange is made in the zone. If the runners exchange exactly at the midpoint of the zone, it will be 200 per leg. If the exchange is right at the beginning, then yes, it will be how you describe it. Obviously, if the outgoing runner can pull the incoming runner deeper, the outgoing runner will be going faster at the exchange - BUT, the risk is greater that there will be too much separation between them. Also, taking off earlier to get up to speed could open the door for getting cut off by another team getting between them. Will be interesting to see how coaches play it.
@omegaafterdark It depends on where the exchange is made in the zone. If the runners exchange exactly at the midpoint of the zone, it will be 200 per leg. If the exchange is right at the beginning, then yes, it will be how you describe it.

Obviously, if the outgoing runner can pull the incoming runner deeper, the outgoing runner will be going faster at the exchange - BUT, the risk is greater that there will be too much separation between them. Also, taking off earlier to get up to speed could open the door for getting cut off by another team getting between them. Will be interesting to see how coaches play it.
12/07/2019 8:47:56 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachSpencer Coach we are scheduled to get our track resurface this summer and I'm thinking we should leave some kind of marker indicating the old 20M exchange so that the transition to the new rule is smooth. I don't think they thought this through when it comes to indoor polar bear meets.
@CoachSpencer
Coach we are scheduled to get our track resurface this summer and I'm thinking we should leave some kind of marker indicating the old 20M exchange so that the transition to the new rule is smooth. I don't think they thought this through when it comes to indoor polar bear meets.
12/07/2019 9:24:36 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachGeorgeRJR Coach I was thinking along the lines of when the tracks get resurface should there be a marker of some sort to help out with the polar bear meets because of the indoor rules. We ran on a resurface track this week with the new markers and we wondered if we ran the 4x200 correctly. It seems its incorporating an acceleration zone unintentionally.
@CoachGeorgeRJR
Coach I was thinking along the lines of when the tracks get resurface should there be a marker of some sort to help out with the polar bear meets because of the indoor rules. We ran on a resurface track this week with the new markers and we wondered if we ran the 4x200 correctly. It seems its incorporating an acceleration zone unintentionally.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.