Durham Striders Invitational 2014
01/01/2014 11:02:47 AM
User
Hi, Can a NC high school runner participate as unattached if I am not a high school indoor team? Just would like to run this high school event since I am a NC high school student. In November, I was focusing on the Footlocker XC race and Reagan Two-Miler, and foolishly did not pay attention to the date for reporting to indoor track practice. Thus, I missed the deadline for being on indoor track roster for my school so now I have to run unaffiliated. I want to avoid any NCHSAA violations. Please advise.
Hi, Can a NC high school runner participate as unattached if I am not a high school indoor team? Just would like to run this high school event since I am a NC high school student. In November, I was focusing on the Footlocker XC race and Reagan Two-Miler, and foolishly did not pay attention to the date for reporting to indoor track practice. Thus, I missed the deadline for being on indoor track roster for my school so now I have to run unaffiliated. I want to avoid any NCHSAA violations. Please advise.
01/01/2014 3:14:02 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Eligibility: High School athletes from North Carolina. High School athletes from other states may enter as unattached athletes. North Carolina athletes must be entered by and represent their high schools
Eligibility: High School athletes from North Carolina. High School athletes from other states may enter as unattached athletes. North Carolina athletes must be entered by and represent their high schools
01/01/2014 8:11:29 PM
User
@kuntakenta Here is the link with the information and performance list so far. http://coachoregistration.com/dbi-bin/meetinfopage.pl?Web_Site_Id=nc_durhamstriders&Meet_Id=durstrhigi1302&Team_Id=&
@kuntakenta
Here is the link with the information and performance list so far.
http://coachoregistration.com/dbi-bin/meetinfopage.pl?Web_Site_Id=nc_durhamstriders&Meet_Id=durstrhigi1302&Team_Id=&
01/02/2014 7:57:05 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@dldjad I think some of the confusion comes from the fact that there ARE unattached North Carolina athletes on the [url=http://coachoregistration.com/dbi-bin/meetinfopage.pl]current performance list[/url] for the meet. To some of our athletes and parents, it can be difficult to understand the difference between [i]entered[/i] and [i]accepted[/i]. With online entry systems like DirectAthletics and CoachO, anyone (even those that are not eligible to compete) can enter the meet, and then those problems have to be cleaned up later on. Our system can be set up to prevent that, as it can selectively exclude unattached individuals or club teams if desired. Just another way that MileSplit registration is better! :-]
@dldjad I think some of the confusion comes from the fact that there ARE unattached North Carolina athletes on the current performance list for the meet. To some of our athletes and parents, it can be difficult to understand the difference between entered and accepted. With online entry systems like DirectAthletics and CoachO, anyone (even those that are not eligible to compete) can enter the meet, and then those problems have to be cleaned up later on. Our system can be set up to prevent that, as it can selectively exclude unattached individuals or club teams if desired. Just another way that MileSplit registration is better!
01/03/2014 4:01:48 PM
Coach
@CoachGeorgeRJR So why aren't unattached NC athletes allowed at this meet? It has great competition and it's a shame some runners that could do very well at this meet are not allowed to participate unattached!
@CoachGeorgeRJR
So why aren't unattached NC athletes allowed at this meet? It has great competition and it's a shame some runners that could do very well at this meet are not allowed to participate unattached!
01/03/2014 5:26:07 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@rlee3 That was a decision by meet management. For all meets sanctioned by the NCHSAA, the meet director is allowed to choose whether or not to accept unattached athletes (or club teams, for that matter). Other sanctioning bodies, such as the National Federation of High Schools, might have stricter standards. We're very lucky that our sanctioning body allows unattached athletes at all - in Virginia, schools are not allowed to compete against them.
@rlee3 That was a decision by meet management. For all meets sanctioned by the NCHSAA, the meet director is allowed to choose whether or not to accept unattached athletes (or club teams, for that matter). Other sanctioning bodies, such as the National Federation of High Schools, might have stricter standards. We're very lucky that our sanctioning body allows unattached athletes at all - in Virginia, schools are not allowed to compete against them.
01/04/2014 3:10:54 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@kuntakenta Yes you can run and register as a unattached athlete for most indoor events. The only difference is that as a unattached athlele not affiliated with a high school your times will not qualify you for the indoor ncshaa states..
@kuntakenta Yes you can run and register as a unattached athlete for most indoor events. The only difference is that as a unattached athlele not affiliated with a high school your times will not qualify you for the indoor ncshaa states..
01/04/2014 6:29:27 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@omegaafterdark For [i]most[/i] events, yes, but [i]this[/i] event specifically does not accept unattached athletes from North Carolina, as explained above.
@omegaafterdark For most events, yes, but this event specifically does not accept unattached athletes from North Carolina, as explained above.
01/04/2014 6:55:09 PM
User
The transition from cross country to indoor track can be challenging for some middle distance runners. The reason is that there are several major post high school season distance events for which many XC runners participate. The Footlocker South 5K event is an example of a highly competitive event for which many middle distance runners gear their training during the month of November. The training program for a competitive 5K cross country runner participating in a late season event is likely to be different from the training regime one might recommend for the shorter and faster 1000m, 1600m and 3200m indoor events. Thus, XC athletes who elect to run in the post season events often cannot focus on the shorter events until early December. Furthermore, some XC runners begin training in mid-June for XC season, with some logging 40-50 miles per week. These runners often mentally and physically benefit from 1-2 weeks off from running in December before transitioning to indoor track. Most indoor track coaches recognize the training requirements of XC and the benefits of short respite for those XC athletes competing in the post season, and work with the athlete to allow them to achieve their XC and indoor goals. Unfortunately, the transitional challenges for XC runners who continue to compete to the end of November is not always recognized or appreciated and this can create a precarious situation for such athletes. Over the past few years, the growth in the interest in indoor track has been phenomenal and exciting to watch. As indoor becomes are more popular sport, I think it would be advantageous if the NCHSAA and indoor coaches carefully consider the situation for XC runners. Requiring a XC runner who has been running non-stop for six months to report or begin indoor track practice one-week after the State XC championships may no longer be pragmatic or fair. I also worry that many XC runner will be at greater risk for injury if they move directly to indoor track without taking a week off for fear of being deleted from the indoor roster. Given the growing interest in indoor track, I believe the XC to indoor track transition is worthy of consideration.
The transition from cross country to indoor track can be challenging for some middle distance runners. The reason is that there are several major post high school season distance events for which many XC runners participate. The Footlocker South 5K event is an example of a highly competitive event for which many middle distance runners gear their training during the month of November. The training program for a competitive 5K cross country runner participating in a late season event is likely to be different from the training regime one might recommend for the shorter and faster 1000m, 1600m and 3200m indoor events. Thus, XC athletes who elect to run in the post season events often cannot focus on the shorter events until early December. Furthermore, some XC runners begin training in mid-June for XC season, with some logging 40-50 miles per week. These runners often mentally and physically benefit from 1-2 weeks off from running in December before transitioning to indoor track. Most indoor track coaches recognize the training requirements of XC and the benefits of short respite for those XC athletes competing in the post season, and work with the athlete to allow them to achieve their XC and indoor goals. Unfortunately, the transitional challenges for XC runners who continue to compete to the end of November is not always recognized or appreciated and this can create a precarious situation for such athletes. Over the past few years, the growth in the interest in indoor track has been phenomenal and exciting to watch. As indoor becomes are more popular sport, I think it would be advantageous if the NCHSAA and indoor coaches carefully consider the situation for XC runners. Requiring a XC runner who has been running non-stop for six months to report or begin indoor track practice one-week after the State XC championships may no longer be pragmatic or fair. I also worry that many XC runner will be at greater risk for injury if they move directly to indoor track without taking a week off for fear of being deleted from the indoor roster. Given the growing interest in indoor track, I believe the XC to indoor track transition is worthy of consideration.
01/05/2014 12:08:22 PM
Coach
Where do you go to school Kuntakenta and is jumpingbeans7 related to you?
Where do you go to school Kuntakenta and is jumpingbeans7 related to you?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.