LT Walker/Lee Calhoun Invitational 2013
03/23/2013 10:38:55 PM
User
Hello Coach George, Why doesnt the meet record for girls High School show Southeast Raleigh? Today we ran and finished first with a time of 48.26. This should count in the State as well.
Hello Coach George,

Why doesnt the meet record for girls High School show Southeast Raleigh? Today we ran and finished first with a time of 48.26. This should count in the State as well.
03/24/2013 8:49:51 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@SgtChavis Because you ran as Bulldog Elite, not as Southeast Raleigh. I had no way of knowing that it was all Southeast Raleigh athletes in the race. Names matter, and when school run under club-team names I need verification that they weren't running an "All-Star" relay. Did Ama-Selina run on the relay? I noticed that she was entered under a different club name than your relay.
@SgtChavis Because you ran as Bulldog Elite, not as Southeast Raleigh. I had no way of knowing that it was all Southeast Raleigh athletes in the race. Names matter, and when school run under club-team names I need verification that they weren't running an "All-Star" relay.

Did Ama-Selina run on the relay? I noticed that she was entered under a different club name than your relay.
03/24/2013 10:04:16 AM
User
Allot to learn! The relay team consisted of Brittney Anderson, Jacklyn Howell, Kayla Chavis, and Shakinah Brooks all attending Southeast Raleigh High School. You can say it was an all star team because each of these ladies are definitely talented. Ama-Selina Tchume did not run on this relay team.
Allot to learn! The relay team consisted of Brittney Anderson, Jacklyn Howell, Kayla Chavis, and Shakinah Brooks all attending Southeast Raleigh High School. You can say it was an all star team because each of these ladies are definitely talented. Ama-Selina Tchume did not run on this relay team.
03/24/2013 10:33:45 AM
User
@SgtChavis Do you know WHY the SER coach or whoever registered the relay team for the 4x100 did it under a club name? Were other SER team members competing as SER at another meet on the same day (i.e. "split team" rule)? Sometimes there are valid reasons why athletes aren't allowed to compete under their high school name and stats can't count towards their school records or state qualifications.
@SgtChavis Do you know WHY the SER coach or whoever registered the relay team for the 4x100 did it under a club name? Were other SER team members competing as SER at another meet on the same day (i.e. "split team" rule)? Sometimes there are valid reasons why athletes aren't allowed to compete under their high school name and stats can't count towards their school records or state qualifications.
03/24/2013 10:54:32 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Ready2Throw That is probably why Southeast Raleigh used the club team, but in this case it wasn't necessary. They had athletes at the Triangle Challenge meet, which would be considered a JV meet because it is only 9th and 10th graders. The split squad rule DOES allow a team to have separate JV and varsity squads, and so both teams could have competed under the school's name. The same is true of Knightdale, having two squads yesterday was legal because one was JV. The same could NOT be said of a few other teams who split their squad yesterday.
@Ready2Throw That is probably why Southeast Raleigh used the club team, but in this case it wasn't necessary. They had athletes at the Triangle Challenge meet, which would be considered a JV meet because it is only 9th and 10th graders. The split squad rule DOES allow a team to have separate JV and varsity squads, and so both teams could have competed under the school's name. The same is true of Knightdale, having two squads yesterday was legal because one was JV. The same could NOT be said of a few other teams who split their squad yesterday.
03/24/2013 10:56:38 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@SgtChavis I accept your explanation, and I will run the 4x100 under Southeast Raleigh. In the future, try to make things simple. If it is legal for your team to compete in the meet as Southeast Raleigh, they need to be listed as Southeast Raleigh. If they are not allowed to compete under their school name, then the time doesn't go into the rankings. Also, if you make sure that the names of the athletes are in the results, it helps. I appreciate your faith in me, that I would have known who was on the relay and what school they attend, but I'm not always that good (just sometimes).
@SgtChavis I accept your explanation, and I will run the 4x100 under Southeast Raleigh. In the future, try to make things simple. If it is legal for your team to compete in the meet as Southeast Raleigh, they need to be listed as Southeast Raleigh. If they are not allowed to compete under their school name, then the time doesn't go into the rankings. Also, if you make sure that the names of the athletes are in the results, it helps. I appreciate your faith in me, that I would have known who was on the relay and what school they attend, but I'm not always that good (just sometimes).
03/24/2013 12:22:56 PM
Power User
@CoachGeorgeRJR Jeff, Before you change anything, doesn't there have to be a SER coach at the meet for the athletes to run for their "school"? Plus if you run under a club name I believe that NCHS rules state that you cannot change the name afte the meet. I am the timer for yeserdays meet and if the HS rules state that there has to be a coach present, then doesn't that question need to be asked? I am not sure if there was a SER coach present yesterday. If a coach has to be present and since the athletes ran under the club names then I assume the results cannot be changed. Someone needs to really research this before making changes because this could set a precedent that would not be good. Charlie Rhodes Rhodes Race Timing
@CoachGeorgeRJR
Jeff, Before you change anything, doesn't there have to be a SER coach at the meet for the athletes to run for their "school"? Plus if you run under a club name I believe that NCHS rules state that you cannot change the name afte the meet.
I am the timer for yeserdays meet and if the HS rules state that there has to be a coach present, then doesn't that question need to be asked? I am not sure if there was a SER coach present yesterday.

If a coach has to be present and since the athletes ran under the club names then I assume the results cannot be changed.
Someone needs to really research this before making changes because this could set a precedent that would not be good.

Charlie Rhodes
Rhodes Race Timing
03/24/2013 12:39:21 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@runnercoach64 I will definitely need to research this more thoroughly. You are right about both points, though. When someone runs under a club name, then they normally are not allowed to use those times for regional qualifying (although they CAN be put into our rankings). However, in this case, it is possible there was a misunderstanding that led to using the club team's name. The point about having a coach present, though, is very valid.
@runnercoach64 I will definitely need to research this more thoroughly. You are right about both points, though. When someone runs under a club name, then they normally are not allowed to use those times for regional qualifying (although they CAN be put into our rankings). However, in this case, it is possible there was a misunderstanding that led to using the club team's name. The point about having a coach present, though, is very valid.
03/24/2013 2:53:54 PM
User
I am a parent as I dont think those rules are fair but we follow them anyway. All I am asking is do we get credit or dont we get credit. If we dont get cedit then nobody that has run unattached should get credit.
I am a parent as I dont think those rules are fair but we follow them anyway. All I am asking is do we get credit or dont we get credit. If we dont get cedit then nobody that has run unattached should get credit.
03/24/2013 3:08:26 PM
User
@runnercoach64 By the way I didnt ask anybody to change anything. I am asking questions. I like things to be fair regardless of who it is and it seems as if the rules are not being applied the same across the board or somebody has made some mistakes.
@runnercoach64 By the way I didnt ask anybody to change anything. I am asking questions. I like things to be fair regardless of who it is and it seems as if the rules are not being applied the same across the board or somebody has made some mistakes.
03/24/2013 3:25:12 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@SgtChavis It depends on what you mean by "getting credit." Teams that run under club names do get into the rankings, but they do not get attached to the school during the season. This prevents those times from being used for regional entry. On the other hand, once the season is over I can make the connection to the school. The same is true of unattached athletes, and I have been very consistent about that since last spring. I'm still not sure how this is going to play out right now, but eventually you will definitely get credit for the performances. The question is whether that happens before or after the regional meet.
@SgtChavis It depends on what you mean by "getting credit." Teams that run under club names do get into the rankings, but they do not get attached to the school during the season. This prevents those times from being used for regional entry. On the other hand, once the season is over I can make the connection to the school. The same is true of unattached athletes, and I have been very consistent about that since last spring. I'm still not sure how this is going to play out right now, but eventually you will definitely get credit for the performances. The question is whether that happens before or after the regional meet.
03/24/2013 3:30:43 PM
User
@CoachGeorgeRJR Thanks Coach George. I appreciate all the hard work you do! What are the rules for meet records? Are they the same as regional and state records?
@CoachGeorgeRJR

Thanks Coach George. I appreciate all the hard work you do! What are the rules for meet records? Are they the same as regional and state records?
03/24/2013 3:31:46 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@SgtChavis Meet records are kept by meet management, and it is up to them to decide how to present them.
@SgtChavis Meet records are kept by meet management, and it is up to them to decide how to present them.
03/24/2013 3:40:10 PM
User
@CoachGeorgeRJR Ok Coach thank you. So that is who I need to talk with because some athletes got credit for meet records who are unattached and some athletes didnt. Thanks for your help Coach! Last Question coach can you point me to the rule book online that has all the rules or where I can purchase it. I will be doing quite a bit of reading this week so I know who to contact when I see discrepancies.
@CoachGeorgeRJR

Ok Coach thank you. So that is who I need to talk with because some athletes got credit for meet records who are unattached and some athletes didnt. Thanks for your help Coach! Last Question coach can you point me to the rule book online that has all the rules or where I can purchase it. I will be doing quite a bit of reading this week so I know who to contact when I see discrepancies.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.