Patriot Derby Classic 2012
09/11/2012 11:07:21 AM
User
Where can I find a map of the course?
Where can I find a map of the course?
09/14/2012 10:05:30 AM
Coach
@adesousanc Here is a link to the elevation profile and general outline of the course. Its a pretty flat course with about a mile of it being on the Horse track out there. It does have some small short hills but the majority of the course will be nice. Its a very pretty course. Very runner friendly. Spectators can see a lot of the race depending on where they are standing. It will start and finish on the Horse Track. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/219507851 There should be map in your team packets at the race also.
@adesousanc

Here is a link to the elevation profile and general outline of the course. Its a pretty flat course with about a mile of it being on the Horse track out there. It does have some small short hills but the majority of the course will be nice. Its a very pretty course. Very runner friendly. Spectators can see a lot of the race depending on where they are standing. It will start and finish on the Horse Track.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/219507851

There should be map in your team packets at the race also.
09/14/2012 4:33:54 PM
Coach
Wondering why the championship races aren't first when the weather is cooler?
Wondering why the championship races aren't first when the weather is cooler?
09/14/2012 4:40:02 PM
Coach
Also thanks for the map, how is the footing on the course and the hills?
Also thanks for the map, how is the footing on the course and the hills?
09/14/2012 8:19:48 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@rhauck Most invitationals run a JV race first nowadays, to allow meet management to "work out the kinks" in their procedures before the top race is run. This is especially true when it's the first time a meet has been run at a particular site or by a particular team. For example, what if problems with parking or traffic hold up a team and the championship race is first? What if the timing system malfunctions on the first race, and it's the championship? It's smart to get one out of the way first and make sure everything works before the race upon which team awards are determined.
@rhauck Most invitationals run a JV race first nowadays, to allow meet management to "work out the kinks" in their procedures before the top race is run. This is especially true when it's the first time a meet has been run at a particular site or by a particular team. For example, what if problems with parking or traffic hold up a team and the championship race is first? What if the timing system malfunctions on the first race, and it's the championship? It's smart to get one out of the way first and make sure everything works before the race upon which team awards are determined.
09/14/2012 9:00:19 PM
Coach
@rhauck The footing is fine. 1/3 of the race is on the horse track itself which is flat and fast for the horse races. The rest is through the woods and open fields. The surface is nice because most of the trails are through flat open fields or on dirt/grass roads running through the horse park. A couple of down hills are steep but nothing to bad. The two up hills of note are short gradual up hills nothing like the up hill after the 1st mile at Beeson. As long as its not wet the down hills should be no issue. The elevation profile has it as a mostly flat course with just a few rollers. Normal spikes should be just fine. If you're worried about the footing then think about this. This is a course that they race million dollar horses on. There are not going to be pot holes or any kind of terrain that will hurt those horses. They spend a lot of money to make sure this course is manicured to a high level. Its not as fast as the jungle run course but it is faster than Hagan Stone or Beeson if you want want something to compare it to. Its a very beautiful course for the runners. You run around or between all of the horse steeple jumps which adds a very unique atmosphere to the course. You literally run up along side two giant wooden turtles and between to large horse steeple jumps. It makes you feel almost like you are in some kind of amusement park as you weave in out between the different steeple jumps. This is all just my opinion but it has the potential to be a PR course because of the start and finish on the Horse track. The weather is supposed to be really nice. Its supposed to be in the low to mid 70's at the start of the Championship races. Coach George is right. This is the first time we have hosted a race here and we want to make sure all of the problems are out before the championship races are run. This is not the first time the course has been used for Cross Country races. So it is a very used course and a number of schools use it during the year so we are not starting from scratch but we want to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible. This course is the East regional course for this year. I hope everyone enjoys the race tomorrow. Swofford from Pinecrest
@rhauck

The footing is fine. 1/3 of the race is on the horse track itself which is flat and fast for the horse races. The rest is through the woods and open fields. The surface is nice because most of the trails are through flat open fields or on dirt/grass roads running through the horse park. A couple of down hills are steep but nothing to bad. The two up hills of note are short gradual up hills nothing like the up hill after the 1st mile at Beeson. As long as its not wet the down hills should be no issue. The elevation profile has it as a mostly flat course with just a few rollers. Normal spikes should be just fine. If you're worried about the footing then think about this. This is a course that they race million dollar horses on. There are not going to be pot holes or any kind of terrain that will hurt those horses. They spend a lot of money to make sure this course is manicured to a high level.

Its not as fast as the jungle run course but it is faster than Hagan Stone or Beeson if you want want something to compare it to. Its a very beautiful course for the runners. You run around or between all of the horse steeple jumps which adds a very unique atmosphere to the course. You literally run up along side two giant wooden turtles and between to large horse steeple jumps. It makes you feel almost like you are in some kind of amusement park as you weave in out between the different steeple jumps.

This is all just my opinion but it has the potential to be a PR course because of the start and finish on the Horse track.

The weather is supposed to be really nice. Its supposed to be in the low to mid 70's at the start of the Championship races.

Coach George is right. This is the first time we have hosted a race here and we want to make sure all of the problems are out before the championship races are run. This is not the first time the course has been used for Cross Country races. So it is a very used course and a number of schools use it during the year so we are not starting from scratch but we want to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible.

This course is the East regional course for this year.

I hope everyone enjoys the race tomorrow.

Swofford from Pinecrest
09/15/2012 7:37:13 PM
Coach
Well I guess we see why we don't run the champ race so late, and the course was far from a pr course. However I loved it and hope mile split reflects how challenging it was in the rankings. Pinecrest hosted a solid meet and we look forward to regionals. I loved the rolling hills! Although my kids were mad when the finished because I keep telling them that was the last hill.
Well I guess we see why we don't run the champ race so late, and the course was far from a pr course. However I loved it and hope mile split reflects how challenging it was in the rankings. Pinecrest hosted a solid meet and we look forward to regionals. I loved the rolling hills! Although my kids were mad when the finished because I keep telling them that was the last hill.
09/15/2012 8:03:55 PM
Coach
Did anyone hear what the official distance was?
Did anyone hear what the official distance was?
09/15/2012 8:58:24 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@rhauck Can't control the weather. The official distance was right on 5000m, they did a great job.
@rhauck Can't control the weather. The official distance was right on 5000m, they did a great job.
09/15/2012 9:15:22 PM
Coach
That was a fun race more than anything else. Nice job! I look forward to Regionals!
That was a fun race more than anything else. Nice job! I look forward to Regionals!
09/16/2012 7:58:20 AM
Coach
@rhauck When I ran the course myself it didn't seem so bad along with the mile on the track it seemed like it could be a fast course. However, after riding it five times yesterday you see the hills more and more. No hill was to steep it was just an up and down course. Much tougher than it seems from first glance.
@rhauck

When I ran the course myself it didn't seem so bad along with the mile on the track it seemed like it could be a fast course.

However, after riding it five times yesterday you see the hills more and more. No hill was to steep it was just an up and down course. Much tougher than it seems from first glance.
09/16/2012 12:11:11 PM
Coach
I would rate it as one of the harder courses I have seen, but beautiful and challenging. Cooler conditions will help speed up the times but would be hard to make that course as fast as Cary. Can you guys estimate the time difference if the kids put that effort in at the Adidas challenge, best guest. I was thinking 1:00-1:30 for boys and 2 to 3 for the girls. I am so not at all saying I would have rather gone to that invitational as I feel like for us to do good at regionals we needed to see the course. Just trying to see where the kids at the patriot would have stacked up!
I would rate it as one of the harder courses I have seen, but beautiful and challenging. Cooler conditions will help speed up the times but would be hard to make that course as fast as Cary. Can you guys estimate the time difference if the kids put that effort in at the Adidas challenge, best guest. I was thinking 1:00-1:30 for boys and 2 to 3 for the girls. I am so not at all saying I would have rather gone to that invitational as I feel like for us to do good at regionals we needed to see the course. Just trying to see where the kids at the patriot would have stacked up!
09/17/2012 12:34:21 PM
Coach
@rhauck I wouldn't say that much. I would go with maybe 30-45 seconds for guys, then maybe a minute for girls.
@rhauck I wouldn't say that much. I would go with maybe 30-45 seconds for guys, then maybe a minute for girls.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.