Changes to State XC meet qualifying
12/01/2016 6:05:38 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The front page article notes that the NCHSAA board approved a proposal to change the qualifying for teams for the state cross country meet. But I can't find anything that specifies exactly what the proposal is. It has been discussed throughout the year, but there were a lot of ambiguities in the plans that have been presented, and I've never seen those cleared up. The article says the proposal is "to increase the qualifiers from 4 to 5 or 6 depending on the size of the region." One way to read that (and obviously this is a brief description in the article, not the actual proposal) is that every region is being increased to 5 teams, and some could get 6. The discussion I recall did not seem to be based on the idea that regions would go up to five qualifiers if they did not have a specified number of teams; and, since the proposal was based on advancing 25% of the teams, there was some possibility of a region getting seven qualifiers depending on size and how the 25% rule was interpreted. What is the actual range of possible qualifiers out of a region? Will some still only get four? Is it possible to get more than six? I never saw an answer to my question about how the number of teams in a region would be calculated. Is it the number of schools fielding teams during the season? The number that enter the regional meet? The number that actually have competitors in the regional meet? The number that have five finishers at the regional meet so they receive a team score? These counts are not all the same, and how you do it could determine whether a region gets an additional team. Is the sixth-place team's advancement going to depend on whether or not the coaches from a couple of really lousy teams choose to compete at the regional? Could it come down to whether a team with only five runners has someone get hurt and drop out at the regional? I also never saw an answer to how 25% of the teams in a region, which usually produces a non-integer value, will be rounded off. Round up, down, or to the nearest whole number? The article referred to an example of highly ranked teams (based purely on season best times) in the 4A Mideast not qualifying this season. Because the size of 4A regions will be significantly smaller next year, there is virtually no chance a region will have enough teams to qualify six teams and it may not be possible to qualify five. If the realignment does not redistribute the strongest teams into different regions, there may not be any relief at all from that specific "problem." I will be interested in seeing how this impacts the running of the state meet, especially at the 3A level. Depending on how the questions above are answered, there could be a 75% increase in the number of teams qualifying for the 3A meet. That is not an insignificant change. I'm not sure most people appreciate how different the race could be with 224 runners instead of 140, or how different 224 state meet caliber runners are than 224 runners in a regular season invitational. This formula should result in the 2A and 3A meets being significantly larger than the 1A and 4A meets. Based on parking and crowd control, I hope that means that they will never be having a 2A and 3A meets share a time slot at the state championship.
The front page article notes that the NCHSAA board approved a proposal to change the qualifying for teams for the state cross country meet. But I can't find anything that specifies exactly what the proposal is. It has been discussed throughout the year, but there were a lot of ambiguities in the plans that have been presented, and I've never seen those cleared up.

The article says the proposal is "to increase the qualifiers from 4 to 5 or 6 depending on the size of the region." One way to read that (and obviously this is a brief description in the article, not the actual proposal) is that every region is being increased to 5 teams, and some could get 6. The discussion I recall did not seem to be based on the idea that regions would go up to five qualifiers if they did not have a specified number of teams; and, since the proposal was based on advancing 25% of the teams, there was some possibility of a region getting seven qualifiers depending on size and how the 25% rule was interpreted. What is the actual range of possible qualifiers out of a region? Will some still only get four? Is it possible to get more than six?

I never saw an answer to my question about how the number of teams in a region would be calculated. Is it the number of schools fielding teams during the season? The number that enter the regional meet? The number that actually have competitors in the regional meet? The number that have five finishers at the regional meet so they receive a team score? These counts are not all the same, and how you do it could determine whether a region gets an additional team. Is the sixth-place team's advancement going to depend on whether or not the coaches from a couple of really lousy teams choose to compete at the regional? Could it come down to whether a team with only five runners has someone get hurt and drop out at the regional?

I also never saw an answer to how 25% of the teams in a region, which usually produces a non-integer value, will be rounded off. Round up, down, or to the nearest whole number?

The article referred to an example of highly ranked teams (based purely on season best times) in the 4A Mideast not qualifying this season. Because the size of 4A regions will be significantly smaller next year, there is virtually no chance a region will have enough teams to qualify six teams and it may not be possible to qualify five. If the realignment does not redistribute the strongest teams into different regions, there may not be any relief at all from that specific "problem."

I will be interested in seeing how this impacts the running of the state meet, especially at the 3A level. Depending on how the questions above are answered, there could be a 75% increase in the number of teams qualifying for the 3A meet. That is not an insignificant change. I'm not sure most people appreciate how different the race could be with 224 runners instead of 140, or how different 224 state meet caliber runners are than 224 runners in a regular season invitational.

This formula should result in the 2A and 3A meets being significantly larger than the 1A and 4A meets. Based on parking and crowd control, I hope that means that they will never be having a 2A and 3A meets share a time slot at the state championship.
12/01/2016 7:33:46 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@RunningRocket The proposal I saw was for regions to have 4, 5 or 6 teams advance from the regional meet. I've corrected that in the article. The only news we really have is that there will be a change based off the proposal. They could have accepted the whole proposal, or just parts of it. I'll certainly update the article once the NCHSAA released more information. Especially with a major realignment coming next fall, and not knowing what the regions will consist of it is hard to predict what direction the NCHSAA will take this.
@RunningRocket

The proposal I saw was for regions to have 4, 5 or 6 teams advance from the regional meet. I've corrected that in the article. The only news we really have is that there will be a change based off the proposal. They could have accepted the whole proposal, or just parts of it. I'll certainly update the article once the NCHSAA released more information. Especially with a major realignment coming next fall, and not knowing what the regions will consist of it is hard to predict what direction the NCHSAA will take this.
12/01/2016 10:22:53 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@JasonCreasy Another piece of news coming out of the meeting was that they are going to move away from assigning teams to regionals based on conference. One thing implied was that they would now equalize the numbers of schools per region, and would not necessarily have the same regions in every sport if the schools participating in the sports were different. I also saw a reference to basing them on geography. I hope that does not mean strictly using longitude to break the state into East, Mideast, Midwest, and West the way they do it for football and other bracketed playoffs. That can produce some wildly counter-intuitive results, such as Fayetteville and Lumberton being west of Raleigh, even though it is much easier to get to the western part of the state from the Triangle area. One example how that comes up next year: In 3A, there should be 28-29 teams per region. There are 26 schools from Iredell county west. You can get to 29 by throwing in the 3 Rowan county schools that share a conference with the Iredell county schools that are presumably already in the west. And those are the schools that can most easily get on I-40 to go to a west regional. But Charlotte Catholic and the westernmost Union county schools are farther west in longitude. It will be interesting to see if they split those conferences to make a regional. It is almost a certainty that they will be splitting conferences around the Guilford/Alamance area if they are using geography to determine the regions.
@JasonCreasy
Another piece of news coming out of the meeting was that they are going to move away from assigning teams to regionals based on conference. One thing implied was that they would now equalize the numbers of schools per region, and would not necessarily have the same regions in every sport if the schools participating in the sports were different.
I also saw a reference to basing them on geography. I hope that does not mean strictly using longitude to break the state into East, Mideast, Midwest, and West the way they do it for football and other bracketed playoffs. That can produce some wildly counter-intuitive results, such as Fayetteville and Lumberton being west of Raleigh, even though it is much easier to get to the western part of the state from the Triangle area. One example how that comes up next year: In 3A, there should be 28-29 teams per region. There are 26 schools from Iredell county west. You can get to 29 by throwing in the 3 Rowan county schools that share a conference with the Iredell county schools that are presumably already in the west. And those are the schools that can most easily get on I-40 to go to a west regional. But Charlotte Catholic and the westernmost Union county schools are farther west in longitude. It will be interesting to see if they split those conferences to make a regional. It is almost a certainty that they will be splitting conferences around the Guilford/Alamance area if they are using geography to determine the regions.
12/02/2016 8:36:33 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I believe this was the proposal submitted to the NCHSAA in April 2016 and would assume is what their Board voted on this week unless they made changes in house since the NCTCCCA did not submit a different XC proposal. "Change the method that teams qualify for the NCHSAA State Cross Country Championship Meet. Change the method and number of teams qualifying for the State Cross Country Championship Meet from a set number of four (4) per region to a percentage of twenty-five percent (25%) of teams per participating schools qualifying for the State Championship Meet. A participating school is a school that sends an individual or a team to a region meet."
I believe this was the proposal submitted to the NCHSAA in April 2016 and would assume is what their Board voted on this week unless they made changes in house since the NCTCCCA did not submit a different XC proposal.

"Change the method that teams qualify for the NCHSAA State Cross Country Championship Meet. Change the method and number of teams qualifying for the State Cross Country Championship Meet from a set number of four (4) per region to a percentage of twenty-five percent (25%) of teams per participating schools qualifying for the State Championship Meet. A participating school is a school that sends an individual or a team to a region meet."
12/04/2016 9:54:39 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=PBolton]I believe this was the proposal submitted to the NCHSAA in April 2016 and would assume is what their Board voted on this week unless they made changes in house since the NCTCCCA did not submit a different XC proposal. "Change the method that teams qualify for the NCHSAA State Cross Country Championship Meet. Change the method and number of teams qualifying for the State Cross Country Championship Meet from a set number of four (4) per region to a percentage of twenty-five percent (25%) of teams per participating schools qualifying for the State Championship Meet. A participating school is a school that sends an individual or a team to a region meet."[/quote] Thanks. That's the proposal I was remembering. I did not recall the last line, which clears up most of the ambiguity. You could still question whether "sends" means enters or starts the race. Most of the time it won't matter, but I hope it is interpreted as entries, so everyone will know exactly what it takes to qualify during the week before the meet. They will have to address what 25% means when it doesn't produce a whole number. This proposal does not have a cap on qualifiers, and in 2A and 3A that could definitely result in 7 teams advancing from a region (and possibly 8, depending on exactly how the regionals are divided and how the rounding to 25% works.)
PBolton wrote:
I believe this was the proposal submitted to the NCHSAA in April 2016 and would assume is what their Board voted on this week unless they made changes in house since the NCTCCCA did not submit a different XC proposal.

"Change the method that teams qualify for the NCHSAA State Cross Country Championship Meet. Change the method and number of teams qualifying for the State Cross Country Championship Meet from a set number of four (4) per region to a percentage of twenty-five percent (25%) of teams per participating schools qualifying for the State Championship Meet. A participating school is a school that sends an individual or a team to a region meet."

Thanks. That's the proposal I was remembering.
I did not recall the last line, which clears up most of the ambiguity. You could still question whether "sends" means enters or starts the race. Most of the time it won't matter, but I hope it is interpreted as entries, so everyone will know exactly what it takes to qualify during the week before the meet.
They will have to address what 25% means when it doesn't produce a whole number.
This proposal does not have a cap on qualifiers, and in 2A and 3A that could definitely result in 7 teams advancing from a region (and possibly 8, depending on exactly how the regionals are divided and how the rounding to 25% works.)
12/04/2016 10:57:58 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The only actual information I have seen is based on the NCHSAA tweet: #NCHSAABOD votes to approve proposal to amend team qualification method used for the State Cross Country Meet 16-0 Does anyone know for sure that the proposal wasn't just converted to something simple like "Take the top five teams in each region"? I wouldn't think so, since I don't think they would've used the language "amend the team qualification method" if the amendment was something so simple, like adding another team, that it would fit in the tweet. But the story we have from the NCHSAA so far leaves a whole lot up in the air.
The only actual information I have seen is based on the NCHSAA tweet:

#NCHSAABOD votes to approve proposal to amend team qualification method used for the State Cross Country Meet 16-0

Does anyone know for sure that the proposal wasn't just converted to something simple like "Take the top five teams in each region"?
I wouldn't think so, since I don't think they would've used the language "amend the team qualification method" if the amendment was something so simple, like adding another team, that it would fit in the tweet. But the story we have from the NCHSAA so far leaves a whole lot up in the air.
12/07/2016 1:30:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The minutes from the board meeting have now been posted, and they say that qualifying will change from top 4 to top 25%. It does not list a minimum or maximum number of qualifiers, and does not elaborate on how exactly 25% will be translated into a number of qualifiers. As a discrete math teacher, I'm well aware that 25% of a whole number is frequently not a whole number, and that we cannot advance fractional teams (although that would be interesting - "top five teams advance, plus the first three runners on the sixth place team.") But if it wasn't addressed in the proposal, I'd be surprised if there was any discussion at the NCHSAA level. Since this is going to need to be implemented on the course next October, I think it would be good if we propose how we'd like to see it done. My suggestions: - All schools who enter athletes in the regional count towards determining the number of participating teams. If it turns out schools are entering the regional but not showing up at all, we could revisit this in the future, but I think it is much better to know the number of qualifying teams prior to the meet. FYI - it 2015, nine schools total in 3A and 4A did not compete at the regional meets. This includes schools that did not compete all year. I don't know if any of those schools entered the regional but did not show up. - We should specify that no region will ever get less than four qualifying teams, and should at least discuss whether there should be a maximum of six, or at most seven. - There are four possible results when multiplying by 25% - whole number, one-fourth, one-half, or three-fourths. I'd suggest putting the dividing line on the three-fourths, so that gets rounded up, but numbers of a half or less round down. Reason behind this - basically, don't let the state meet get too big, which is a real concern in 2A and 3A. I would actually have preferred that a region only get the whole number part of its 25% (e.g., 5.75 becomes 5, etc) but I just counted and there are 76 teams in 4A next year. If they evenly divided them, that would be 19 per region, and then no one would get an extra team if we don't round up. I'll post about some potential regional breakdowns next.
The minutes from the board meeting have now been posted, and they say that qualifying will change from top 4 to top 25%. It does not list a minimum or maximum number of qualifiers, and does not elaborate on how exactly 25% will be translated into a number of qualifiers. As a discrete math teacher, I'm well aware that 25% of a whole number is frequently not a whole number, and that we cannot advance fractional teams (although that would be interesting - "top five teams advance, plus the first three runners on the sixth place team.") But if it wasn't addressed in the proposal, I'd be surprised if there was any discussion at the NCHSAA level.
Since this is going to need to be implemented on the course next October, I think it would be good if we propose how we'd like to see it done.
My suggestions:
* All schools who enter athletes in the regional count towards determining the number of participating teams. If it turns out schools are entering the regional but not showing up at all, we could revisit this in the future, but I think it is much better to know the number of qualifying teams prior to the meet. FYI - it 2015, nine schools total in 3A and 4A did not compete at the regional meets. This includes schools that did not compete all year. I don't know if any of those schools entered the regional but did not show up.

* We should specify that no region will ever get less than four qualifying teams, and should at least discuss whether there should be a maximum of six, or at most seven.

* There are four possible results when multiplying by 25% - whole number, one-fourth, one-half, or three-fourths. I'd suggest putting the dividing line on the three-fourths, so that gets rounded up, but numbers of a half or less round down. Reason behind this - basically, don't let the state meet get too big, which is a real concern in 2A and 3A.

I would actually have preferred that a region only get the whole number part of its 25% (e.g., 5.75 becomes 5, etc) but I just counted and there are 76 teams in 4A next year. If they evenly divided them, that would be 19 per region, and then no one would get an extra team if we don't round up.
I'll post about some potential regional breakdowns next.
12/07/2016 2:57:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
NCHSAA board voted to change "pre-determined regional assignment based upon conference to a more equal split based upon the number of participating schools in that sport." This could mean anything from "every region will have an equal number of teams, within one" to "start with conference assignment like we always have, but adjust in some sports if there are schools that don't compete and that throws things off." Just to have something to work with, I'm going to guess: - they are going to come as close as possible to equal number of teams per region; - they are NOT going to strictly follow longitude the way they do in creating regions for bracketed playoffs, but instead will go roughly by conferences but split up a conference at the boundaries as necessary; - in 3A and 4A, every school is actually competing (this may break down a little in Charlotte in cross country, but it's close.) In 4A, there are 76 schools for next year. There is almost no way to divide this if you don't significantly split Wake county, unless you have what are essentially Northeast and Southeast regions instead of East and Mideast. Raleigh is east of Fayetteville. I split two conferences in the Charlotte area, in order to send the schools farthest up 85 towards the Midwest. EAST - Ashley, Hoggard, Laney; New Bern, South Central; Corinth Holders, Heritage, Knightdale, Rolesville, Wake Forest, Wakefield; Broughton, Cardinal Gibbons, Enloe, Leesville Rd, Millbrook, Sanderson, SE Raleigh; Garner MIDEAST - Overhills, Pine Forest, South View; Apex, Apex Friendship, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs, Middle Creek; Athens Dr, Cary, Green Hope, Jordan, Panther Creek, Riverside; Hoke, Jack Britt, Lumberton, Purnell Swett, 71st MIDWEST - Pinecrest, Richmond, Scotland; Grimsley, High Point Central, NW Guilford, Ragsdale; Davie, E. Forsyth, Glenn, R.J. Reynolds, Reagan, W. Forsyth; Hickory Ridge; Hough, Mallard Creek, N. Meck, Vance WEST - Hopewell, Lake Norman, Mooresville, W. Charlotte; Butler, E.Meck, Garinger, Independence, Myers Park, Porter Ridge, Rocky River; Ardrey Kell, Harding, Olympic, Providence, S. Meck, W. Meck; McDowell, S. Caldwell
NCHSAA board voted to change "pre-determined regional assignment based upon conference to a more equal split based upon the number of participating schools in that sport." This could mean anything from "every region will have an equal number of teams, within one" to "start with conference assignment like we always have, but adjust in some sports if there are schools that don't compete and that throws things off."
Just to have something to work with, I'm going to guess:
* they are going to come as close as possible to equal number of teams per region;

* they are NOT going to strictly follow longitude the way they do in creating regions for bracketed playoffs, but instead will go roughly by conferences but split up a conference at the boundaries as necessary;

* in 3A and 4A, every school is actually competing (this may break down a little in Charlotte in cross country, but it's close.)

In 4A, there are 76 schools for next year. There is almost no way to divide this if you don't significantly split Wake county, unless you have what are essentially Northeast and Southeast regions instead of East and Mideast. Raleigh is east of Fayetteville. I split two conferences in the Charlotte area, in order to send the schools farthest up 85 towards the Midwest.
EAST - Ashley, Hoggard, Laney; New Bern, South Central; Corinth Holders, Heritage, Knightdale, Rolesville, Wake Forest, Wakefield; Broughton, Cardinal Gibbons, Enloe, Leesville Rd, Millbrook, Sanderson, SE Raleigh; Garner
MIDEAST - Overhills, Pine Forest, South View; Apex, Apex Friendship, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs, Middle Creek; Athens Dr, Cary, Green Hope, Jordan, Panther Creek, Riverside; Hoke, Jack Britt, Lumberton, Purnell Swett, 71st
MIDWEST - Pinecrest, Richmond, Scotland; Grimsley, High Point Central, NW Guilford, Ragsdale; Davie, E. Forsyth, Glenn, R.J. Reynolds, Reagan, W. Forsyth; Hickory Ridge; Hough, Mallard Creek, N. Meck, Vance
WEST - Hopewell, Lake Norman, Mooresville, W. Charlotte; Butler, E.Meck, Garinger, Independence, Myers Park, Porter Ridge, Rocky River; Ardrey Kell, Harding, Olympic, Providence, S. Meck, W. Meck; McDowell, S. Caldwell
12/07/2016 3:08:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
In 3A, there are 113 teams. NOTE - THIS IS A GUESS. I have no role in the NCHSAA decision process, and no insight into what they are going to do. I'm just guessing they will mostly follow conference assignments but adjust to keep things equal in size and geographically contained. EAST - Havelock, Jacksonville, Northside, Swansboro, W.Carteret, White Oak; Aycock, Conley, W.Wayne, Rose, S.Wayne; New Hanover, N.Brunswick, S.Brunswick, Topsail, W.Brunswick; Fike, Franklinton, Hunt, N.Nash, Rocky Mount, S.Nash; Clayton, Cleveland, E.Wake, Smithfield-Selma, S.Johnston, W.Johnston MIDEAST - Cape Fear, Douglas Byrd, E.E.Smith, Gray's Creek, Terry Sanford, Westover; Harnett Central, Lee County, S.Lee, Triton, Union Pines, W.Harnett; Cedar Ridge, Chapel Hill, E.Chapel Hill, Hillside, N.Durham, Northwood, Orange, S.Durham; E. Alamance, NE Guilford, Person, W. Alamance; E. Guilford, SE Guilford, S.Alamance, Williams MIDWEST - McMichael, Morehead, N.Guilford, Rockingham Co.; Asheboro, S.Guilford, SW Randolph; Ben L. Smith, Dudley, Mt.Tabor, N.Forsyth, Parkland, SW Guilford, W.Guilford; A.L.Brown, Cent.Cabarrus, Concord, Cox Mill, J.M. Robinson, NW Cabarrus; Jesse Carson, E. Rowan; Cuthbertson, Marvin Ridge, Monroe, Parkwood, Piedmont, Sun Valley, Weddington WEST - Charlotte Catholic; N. Iredell, S. Iredell, Statesville, W.Rowan; Ashbrook, Burns, Crest, Forestview, Hunter Huss, Kings Mountain, N.Gaston, Stuart Cramer; Alexander Central, Freedom, Hickory, St. Stephens, Watauga; A.C. Reynolds, Asheville, Enka, Erwin, N.Buncombe, N.Henderson, T.C.Roberson, Tuscola, W.Henderson Between the Mideast/Midwest, I split two conferences to send all the Alamance and the east side of Guilford schools east. The Midwest/West dividing line is very tough. Some teams that have historically been Midwest and that are closer to the Midwest host sites (whether it is McAlpine or Ivey Redmon) are going to have to go west. There are four conferences and 23 teams clearly in the west. Three Iredell county schools in Conference C are easy enough to place in the West. To get the last 2-3 schools is tough. The remainder of Conference C is in Rowan county and can be grouped with their conference mates to finish the region. All of conference D - a tight cluster of Cabarrus schools, is slightly west of those Rowan schools, but also farther from I-40 and the easy route to the West region. All of the Cabarrus/Rowan schools are right on 85 with an easy path into either Charlotte or Kernersville for a Midwest regional. And on the southeast side of Charlotte, Catholic and the western Union county schools (Marvin Ridge, Cuthbertson) are west of all of the others, but also farther from the usual West region host sites. Based on distance, I sent Charlotte Catholic and W. Rowan to the West. I doubt that it will actually end up this way.
In 3A, there are 113 teams. NOTE - THIS IS A GUESS. I have no role in the NCHSAA decision process, and no insight into what they are going to do. I'm just guessing they will mostly follow conference assignments but adjust to keep things equal in size and geographically contained.

EAST - Havelock, Jacksonville, Northside, Swansboro, W.Carteret, White Oak; Aycock, Conley, W.Wayne, Rose, S.Wayne; New Hanover, N.Brunswick, S.Brunswick, Topsail, W.Brunswick; Fike, Franklinton, Hunt, N.Nash, Rocky Mount, S.Nash; Clayton, Cleveland, E.Wake, Smithfield-Selma, S.Johnston, W.Johnston
MIDEAST - Cape Fear, Douglas Byrd, E.E.Smith, Gray's Creek, Terry Sanford, Westover; Harnett Central, Lee County, S.Lee, Triton, Union Pines, W.Harnett; Cedar Ridge, Chapel Hill, E.Chapel Hill, Hillside, N.Durham, Northwood, Orange, S.Durham; E. Alamance, NE Guilford, Person, W. Alamance; E. Guilford, SE Guilford, S.Alamance, Williams
MIDWEST - McMichael, Morehead, N.Guilford, Rockingham Co.; Asheboro, S.Guilford, SW Randolph; Ben L. Smith, Dudley, Mt.Tabor, N.Forsyth, Parkland, SW Guilford, W.Guilford; A.L.Brown, Cent.Cabarrus, Concord, Cox Mill, J.M. Robinson, NW Cabarrus; Jesse Carson, E. Rowan; Cuthbertson, Marvin Ridge, Monroe, Parkwood, Piedmont, Sun Valley, Weddington
WEST - Charlotte Catholic; N. Iredell, S. Iredell, Statesville, W.Rowan; Ashbrook, Burns, Crest, Forestview, Hunter Huss, Kings Mountain, N.Gaston, Stuart Cramer; Alexander Central, Freedom, Hickory, St. Stephens, Watauga; A.C. Reynolds, Asheville, Enka, Erwin, N.Buncombe, N.Henderson, T.C.Roberson, Tuscola, W.Henderson
Between the Mideast/Midwest, I split two conferences to send all the Alamance and the east side of Guilford schools east.
The Midwest/West dividing line is very tough. Some teams that have historically been Midwest and that are closer to the Midwest host sites (whether it is McAlpine or Ivey Redmon) are going to have to go west. There are four conferences and 23 teams clearly in the west. Three Iredell county schools in Conference C are easy enough to place in the West. To get the last 2-3 schools is tough. The remainder of Conference C is in Rowan county and can be grouped with their conference mates to finish the region. All of conference D - a tight cluster of Cabarrus schools, is slightly west of those Rowan schools, but also farther from I-40 and the easy route to the West region. All of the Cabarrus/Rowan schools are right on 85 with an easy path into either Charlotte or Kernersville for a Midwest regional. And on the southeast side of Charlotte, Catholic and the western Union county schools (Marvin Ridge, Cuthbertson) are west of all of the others, but also farther from the usual West region host sites. Based on distance, I sent Charlotte Catholic and W. Rowan to the West. I doubt that it will actually end up this way.
12/08/2016 10:49:53 PM
Coach
In 4A you failed to include Page. I would assume you would have them in the 4A MIDWEST.
In 4A you failed to include Page.
I would assume you would have them in the 4A MIDWEST.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.