Team Champion: South Central
Team Runner-Up: Cardinal Gibbons
MVP: Tori Elliott, Cox Mill (1st LJ, 2nd 100, 2nd 200)
Other top performances:
Danielle Butts (South Central) won the high jump with a clearance of 5' 4", and won the triple jump with a mark of 40' 11" (US #9, NC #7 all time)
Kayla Padgett (West Brunswick) had a huge PR of 42' 7" in the shot (3A meet record). She also won the discus with a PR of 133' 11".
Sophomore Nishedra Brown (West Craven) upset upperclass runners to double in the 100 and 200.
Sage Proffitt (North Buncombe) won the pole vault with 11' 6", finished 3rd in the 400 (with a 56.84 PR) and ran on the winning 4x400 team.
Cardinal Gibbons 9:29.25 for 4x8 (NC #10 all-time), anchored by Sarah Rapp, who also won the 1600 and 3200.
South Central doubles up in the sprint relays AGAIN, with 47.35 for 4x100 and 1:43.65 for 4x200.
Jill Moore (Northwest Cabarrus) is the only athlete in the meet to compete in 4 individual events, the 100, 200, 400, and 800 wheelchair races.
Surprise Winner of the Day: Rikki Jay of Franklin won the 300 hurdles in 44.47 (NC #5). Rikki entered the meet ranked #24 in the state with a PR of 46.83.
Team Champion: Douglas Byrd
Team Runner-Up: Walter Williams
MVP: Eric Winfrey, Douglas Byrd
Other Top Performances:
Harvey McSwain II (Crest) was a double winner, in the 100 ( and 200.
Ryan Minor (South Brunswick) 1st in the shot put (56' 2.5"), 2nd in the discus (151' 0"). Ahmad Norman won the discus with 162' 10".
Eastern Alamance defends 4x800 title with NC #1 7:52.64 (US #24)
Kings Mountain (1st in 4x200, 2nd in 4x100) and Mount Pleasant (1st in 4x100) run great relays without any sprint finalists.
Burlington Williams had two very impressive freshmen:
Jameion Harvey finishes 4th in both the 100 & the 200.
Isaiah Moore wins the 110 hurdles in 14.24 (US #1 for freshmen)
Story of the Meet: the Battle for the Team Title! As contender after contender fell by the wayside, first Kings Mountain staked an unexpected claim to the title, then Walter Williams took the lead. Douglas Byrd made their charge starting with the 400, and entered the 4x400 down 8 points to Williams. They won the 4x4 and leapfrogged into first, winning by a single point! It's always great when the meet comes down to the wire, and it's great to see unexpected title contenders like Kings Mountain and Williams rise above expectations on the big day!
- 100 Meter Hurdles - Xaviera Bass (Nash Central) 14.89;
- 1600 Meter Run - Sarah Rapp (Cardinal Gibbons High School) 5:07.05 SB; Jentzen Jones (Fike) 5:12.25 SB; Carmen Hilliard (South Brunswick High School) 5:14.12 SB;
- 200 Meter Dash - Nyshedra Brown (West Craven) 24.91 SB; Tori Elliott (Cox Mill High School) 24.97 SB;
- 300 Meter Hurdles - Rikki Jay (Franklin (NC)) 44.47 SB; Juanita Leto (Concord) 45.65 SB; Rikki Jay (Franklin (NC)) 45.05;
- 3200 Meter Run - Sarah Rapp (Cardinal Gibbons High School) 11:03.44;
- 400 Meter Dash - Naomi Alston (Douglas Byrd) 56.48 SB; Cruz Sullivan (Douglas Byrd) 56.71; Sage Proffitt (North Buncombe) 56.84 SB; Zikeena Parker (Rocky Mount) 57.33; Naomi Alston (Douglas Byrd) 57.02; Zikeena Parker (Rocky Mount) 57.33 SB; Sage Proffitt (North Buncombe) 57.47;
- 4x100 Meter Relay - South Central 47.35;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Cardinal Gibbons High School 9:29.25; Weddington High School 9:37.14;
- 800 Meter Run - Megan Kunkel (Cardinal Gibbons High School) 2:17.74 SB; Blake Dodge (West Carteret) 2:17.96 SB; Taryn Stern (Hickory Ridge High School) 2:18.29 SB; Madison Emory (North Buncombe) 2:18.33 SB; Alix Theodossiou (Asheville High) 2:18.39 SB; Jentzen Jones (Fike) 2:19.55 SB;
- Discus - Kayla Padgett (West Brunswick) 133-11 SB; Sherri Owens (Orange High School) 120-4 SB;
- High Jump - Danielle Butts (South Central) 5-4;
- Long Jump - Tori Elliott (Cox Mill High School) 17-10 SB;
- Pole Vault - Sage Proffitt (North Buncombe) 11-6; Ashleigh Culpepper (Franklin (NC)) 11-0; Elizabeth Ambler (Northern Guilford) 11-0 SB;
- Shot Put - Kayla Padgett (West Brunswick) 42-7 SB; Whitney Williams (South Johnston) 37-9;
- Triple Jump - Danielle Butts (South Central) 40-11w SB; Amber Clark (South Central) 37-3 SB; Ameenah Bay-shaw (Cox Mill High School) 37-3w SB; Tatyana Brewton (Forestview) 36-3.5 SB; Aerostata Brown (Rocky Mount) 36-2 SB;
- 110 Meter Hurdles - Isaiah Moore (Walter M. Williams) 14.24 SB; Daishon Barger (West Rowan) 14.53 SB; Exzavier Cooper (Rocky Mount) 14.55; Wesley Tucker (Jacksonville) 14.68;
- 1600 Meter Run - Braedon Koerwitz (Jay M. Robinson) 4:18.80 SB;
- 200 Meter Dash - Harvey Mcswain II (Crest) 21.50; Eric Winfrey (Douglas Byrd) 21.52 SB; Eric Winfrey (Douglas Byrd) 21.53; Harvey Mcswain II (Crest) 21.72;
- 300 Meter Hurdles - Demonte Wilson (Crest) 38.36 SB; Will England (Northwest Cabarrus) 38.86 SB; Wesley Tucker (Jacksonville) 39.10 SB; Demonte Wilson (Crest) 38.51;
- 3200 Meter Run - Mitch McLeod (Chapel Hill) 9:30.59; Chris Colo (Marvin Ridge) 9:31.44;
- 400 Meter Dash - Eric Winfrey (Douglas Byrd) 48.73 SB; Eric Winfrey (Douglas Byrd) 48.91;
- 4x200 Meter Relay - Kings Mountain 1:29.29; Walter M. Williams 1:29.40; Douglas Byrd 1:29.41; Forestview 1:29.90;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Eastern Alamance 7:52.64; Chapel Hill 7:55.41; Marvin Ridge 7:58.16; Weddington High School 8:03.73; Walter M. Williams 8:08.13;
- 800 Meter Run - Michael Tamayo (Eastern Alamance) 1:54.05 SB; Graham Crawford (Walter M. Williams) 1:54.09 SB; Tevin Richardson (Nash Central) 1:54.58 SB; Jacob Englert (Forestview) 1:55.86 SB; Paul Lilley (Rocky Mount) 1:56.20 SB; Kyle Villemain (Chapel Hill) 1:56.37 SB; Cole Honeycutt (East Rowan) 1:56.53 SB; Michael Colven (Marvin Ridge) 1:56.77 SB; Jordan Larson (Jay M. Robinson) 1:56.96 SB; Chase Helton (Douglas Byrd) 1:57.39 SB;
- Discus - Ahmad Norman (Jacksonville) 162-10 SB; Ryan Minor (South Brunswick High School) 151-0;
- High Jump - Maurice Morgan (North Lenoir) 6-6;
- Long Jump - Justus Watkins (South Point) 22-6.25 SB;
- Shot Put - Ryan Minor (South Brunswick High School) 56-2.5; Neshawn Dingle (Jay M. Robinson) 55-2.5 SB; Thomas Evans (Franklin (NC)) 52-6.75 SB; Sam Sherman (East Rowan) 52-0.25;
- Triple Jump - Daisaun White (Asheville High) 47-1 SB; Jordan Warren (Hickory Ridge High School) 45-8 SB;