The Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School Board announced that all student-athletes must wear face-covering during all practices and competitions. This is the first school board to announce face coverings must be worn during competitions. What this means for XC and Track and Field is a big question mark now.
The three schools in Chapel Hill, Carrboro and East Chapel Hill have been strong programs out of the Mideast year over year with Carrboro girls winning seven of the last eleven, including the last two, NCHSAA 2A State Championships, Chapel Hill girls winning three of the last five NCHSAA 3A State Championship and Chapel Hill boys winning two of the last five NCHSAA 3A State Championships as well as the 2019 title.
Before arriving to Skill Development:
- Complete your Online Athletic Participation Registration at your school. (documents include, Physical, Concussion form, Covid-19 form, CHCCS Consent, NCHSAA Consent).
- Make sure you have a valid Physical Examination on file. If your last physical was on or after March 1st of 2019, then your physical will be valid through this coming school year.
These forms will be available on your school's athletic website.
- Complete the NCHSAA Initial Screening Questions for Students to Participate in Athletic Activity During COVID-19 Form. Must be signed by both athlete and parent.
- Secure a Mask/Face Covering. Mask MUST be worn at ALL times even in competition.
- Secure a water bottle with your name on it to bring to the workouts. (ADs will have extras as well as schools providing bottled water for away games)
- Appropriate clothing (dress for weather)
- Please use your home bathroom facilities before coming to school
The original plan that was presented that did not require masks for athletes when actually practicing or competing outdoors, but school board members were nervous and asked the guidelines to be changed to require masks at all times - even during competition.
They have said it will apply regardless of where the competition is held, so, Chapel Hill-Carrboro high school runners would have to wear masks at the state championship while all other runners from other schools would not be required to do so as of now. We will see if more districts follow in Chapel Hill-Carrboro's footsteps.