I haven't told many this was a possibility as we head into the 2020-2021 school year, but my girlfriend and I are moving out of North Carolina this July and heading to Boston, Massachusetts. As a former average runner who was obsessed with Cross Country/Track and Field this has been a dream job for me for the last four years. I'm very appreciative of all the support I've received and friendships I've made over my time with NCRunners and have enjoyed being able to be on the front row for so many amazing races and moments.
Though I'll be in the Northeast, I'll still be involved with NCRunners and likely will still be at events from time to time when I'm back in the state. I'll continue working for MileSplit and will be involved in the day to day of NCRunners, so always feel free to reach out to me with anything you need in the future.
That being said, we're looking for a new NCRunners Editor! If you think you or someone you know is qualified or interested in the roll we have the job listing posted below. You can apply by emailing MileSplit's Content Director Joe Battaglia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks again for all the support you've shown us and I know MileSplit NC's best days are still ahead of us. If you have any additional questions about the position feel free to shoot me an email at email@example.com.
MileSplit North Carolina Editor
Do you LOVE track & field and cross country? Do you eat, sleep, and breath running? Then we want you!
MileSplit, the leading scholastic track network in the country, is looking for a contract state editor to lead our coverage team in North Carolina, a Top state in our network.
The state editor is an organized ideas generator, an all-around track expert who produces content that is best in class and relevant to athletes, coaches and fans, and is dedicated to making MileSplit North Carolina the go-to source for all important information in high school track & field and cross country in the state.
The ideal candidate is North Carolina-based, a passionate, and curious subject matter expert who is excited to get out to cover meets weekly and craft all types of content in a state, and sport, rich with stories, celebrities, events, and history. This is a job for someone who wants to grow the sport.
· Develop and execute great daily web content, both written and video, from the idea phase to publishing. You will spotlight the top athletes and coaches in your sport with interesting stories.
· Create compelling premium content that engages your audience and grows the subscribers in your state.
· Recruit and manage a team of local contributors to help extend your video, photo and written coverage.
· Manage a budget and content plan for your contributors
· Work with the National team to cross promote the most powerful content throughout the network.
· Build relationships within North Carolina's community of coaches, officials, timers, associations, parents, teams, clubs and athletes.
· Represent MileSplit in North Carolina with the highest integrity when dealing with local event directors, coaches, athletes, parents and the T&F/XC community at large.
· Provide the most accurate and in-depth offerings in North Carolina, including results, team and event rankings, meet calendars, team associations and athlete profiles.
· Travel throughout North Carolina to create kick-ass on-site coverage of top events. Interview the athletes, film races, write compelling recaps and feature the biggest stories of each event.
· Look for opportunities to provide live streaming coverage at the best events!
· Be a news hound, staying on top of every story and news item unfolding in your state to ensure you provide comprehensive coverage to your readers.
· Be a social media influencer, actively participating in your community while marketing the content you create to those who seek it.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
· You are an expert on the sport in your state and obsessive about staying on top of the latest developments and news.
· You have the bandwidth to work weekends and travel throughout North Carolina to cover the top high school, middle school and club track and cross-country meets.
· You are organized. You know how to prioritize your time. You manage multiple projects with ease.
· You are creative and analytical. You enjoy coming up with unique takes on stories and refuse to do something that has been done before. You thrive on taking an idea and making it a reality.
· You understand the importance of communicating properly to a young audience and can tailor your content appropriately.
· You're a social media savant. You know how to write creative and engaging tweets that burn like fire in your community.
· You are creative, competitive and driven to be the best.
· Highly organized, self-motivated and adaptable to change.
· Knowledge of HTML, photo editing tools (e.g. Photoshop, Pixelmator) and MS Office.
· Knowledge of video editing tools (Final Cut, Premier) a plus.
· Quality and volume of content produced
· Quarterly subscription and traffic growth goals
· Retention of subscribers
· Social media growth goals