Kayla Moore led the Cummings dynasty to yet another title, as North Brunswick continued its own championship run on the boys' side.
The last race of the North Carolina championship season finished late Saturday afternoon in Greensboro, bringing three weeks of exciting competition and tremendous performances to an end. The NCHSAA 2A State Meet was a fitting conclusion, as it ended up being one of the most competitive of the 6 state championships, especially in the field events. The top 4 girls long-jumpers were separated by only 0.75 inches; there were 6 female triple jumpers over 37 feet; the boys' triple jump had to go to a tie-breaker to determine the winner; the top 4 boys' vaulters were all at 13' or 14' 6". Every relay had a different team winning, and even the girls' team scores were close, with only 6 points separating champion from runner-up. Check out the highlights below!
More NCHSAA 2A State Meet Coverage
- Complete Results
Girls Team Champions: Cummings
Boys Team Champions: North Brunswick
Girls Team Runners-Up: Carrboro
Boys Team Runners-Up: Bunn
Girls MVP: Maysa Araba, Carrboro
Won the 1600 and 800, Both Meet Records
Boys MVP: Jayhlen Washington, North Brunswick
Won the Long Jump & Triple Jump, 2nd in 100 Hurdles
Girls Sportsmanship Award Winners
Boys Sportsmanship Award Winners
- Elijah Inuwa (CATA) won the 800 in 1:51.70 NC #1 US #14 NC #10 All-Time, and also anchored his team to the win in the 4x400, as CATA clocked 3:23.95.
- Dylan Pinder (North Johnston) won all four wheelchair events in which he competed: the 100 and 200 Dashes, and the discus and shot put. Antoine Perry (Franklinton) had a huge PR in winning the Wheelchair 400.
- Elliott Graves (Reidsville) won the 110 Hurdles in 14.22 NC #5, but he got edged out in a fantastic 300 Hurdles battle by Dylan Andrade (Forbush), who ran 37.48 NC #2 (and a 2A meet record). Graves clocked 37.52 NC #3.
- Magnus Herweyer (Carrboro) won the boys discus (178' 7" NC #2) and shot put (53' 10" NC #8).
- Bunn and Beddingfield dueled to times of 42.07 NC #4 and 42.20 NC #5 in the boys 4x100, while Bunker Hill clocked 1:28.05 NC #3 in winning the 4x200.
- Payton Russell (North Rowan) won the girls 400 in 55.70 NC #3.
- Joya Blackwell (Hertford) cleared 5' 6" NC #5 in the girls high jump.
- Aurelio Ottey (Southwest Onslow) won the boys 400 in 48.64 NC #7.
- Araba ran the 800 in 2:15.18, just off her NC #5 time, and the 1600 in 4:55.78, just off her NC #3 mark.
- Kayla Moore (Cummings) won the 100 Hurdles in 14.38, and came out of the slow section of the 300 Hurdles to win in 46.07.
- Samantha Layko (Croatan) won the discus throw with a 128' 11", and also took the shot put by throwing 39' 6.5".