The Providence Day senior ripped through the high hurdles with the wind at her back, then battled through it on the backstretch of the 300.
There were two dominant forces on display Saturday at Marvin Ridge. First and foremost was the wind, which gusted to well over 20 miles per hour at times, once even knocking over some of the boys' hurdles and causing the race to be held up. Even when it wasn't gusting, there was a steady wind that benefited the short sprints (100, 200, 100H/110H) and wore down everyone in longer races, affecting the performances in the distance races particularly.
The other force of nature this weekend was Anna Cockrell (Providence Day), who rolled through the hurdles with the wind at her back, dominating the competition while posting big times in both races. Her 13.42 in the 100 Hurdles puts her at US #2 (all conditions) and slightly improves her NC #2 All-Time mark. She also took the 300 Hurdles with a time of 44.62, defeating Amaka Awuruone (Olympic) by a full second.
- Kadarius Lotharp (Sun Valley) claimed both the 100 Dash and the 200, clocking 10.75 and 22.00. Those performances would rank NC #5 and NC #4, respectively, were it not for the windy conditions.
- Khayla Dawson (Olympic) threw a huge PR in the discus, moving all the way up to NC #2 and US #20 with her 142' effort. She also threw 45' 6.5" in the shot put, which is just shy of her current US #11 ranking in that event.
- Cambria Shuford (Statesville) took home two gold medals, jumping 17' 9.5" in the long jump and then running 59.85 in the 400. She also claimed a bronze medal in the 200, adding to the jingling sound when she walked out of the facility.
- Corey Thompson (East Gaston), competing unattached on Saturday, moved up to NC #2 in the 300 Hurdles with his time of 38.94. In the 110's, he lost narrowly to J'Len Wilson (Bunker Hill), 14.65 - 14.69.
- Ty Jaye Robbins-Lockhart (Piedmont) won the 400 in 48.78 NC #3, making him the only boy currently ranked in the top 5 in the state in both that race and the 200.
Marvin Ridge HS Track Waxhaw, NC
Apr 4, 2015
746 Total Performances
Photo Albums (2)
- Boys 800 Heat 3
- Boys 100 Dash Finals
- Boys 4x100
- Girls 4x100
- Boys 1600 Heat 3
- Girls 800 Heat 2
- Girls 300 Hurdles Heat 4
- Girls 100 Dash Finals
- Girls 1600 Heat 3
- Girls 200 Final
|100H||F 1 1st||13.42||Anna Cockrell||Providence Day School|
|100H||F 1 2nd||14.58||Akira Rhodes||Unattached (NC)|
|100H||p 4 1st||13.55||Anna Cockrell||Providence Day School|
|300H||F 4 1st||44.62||Anna Cockrell||Providence Day School|
|300H||F 4 2nd||45.60||Amaka Awuruonye||Olympic|
|LJ||F 1 1st||17-9.25||Cambria Shuford||Statesville|
|TJ||F 1 1st||36-5.5||Nicole Lawson||Hopewell|
|D||F 1 1st||142-0||Khayla Dawson||Olympic|
|D||F 1 2nd||124-0||Nia Baker||Butler|
|S||F 1 1st||45-6.5||Khayla Dawson||Olympic|
|100m||F 1 1st||10.75||Kadarius Lotharp||Sun Valley|
|200m||F 1 1st||22.00||Kadarius Lotharp||Sun Valley|
|400m||F 6 1st||48.78||Ty Jaye Robbins-Lockhart||Piedmont|
|800m||F 3 1st||1:55.38||Elijah Inuwa||Central Academy of Technology|
|800m||F 3 2nd||1:56.98||Vincent Crisp||North Mecklenburg|
|1600m||F 3 1st||4:21.70||Mitchell Resor||Weddington High School|
|1600m||F 3 2nd||4:23.22||Zachary Marchinko||Carson, Jesse C|
|1600m||F 3 3rd||4:23.67||Matthew Barrera||Butler|
|110H||F 1 1st||14.65||J'len Wilson||Bunker Hill|
|110H||F 1 2nd||14.69||Corey Thompson||Unattached (NC)|
|110H||p 2 1st||14.64||J'len Wilson||Bunker Hill|
|300H||F 3 1st||38.94||Corey Thompson||Unattached (NC)|
|HJ||F 1 1st||6-6||Christopher Garrick||Marvin Ridge|
|PV||F 1 1st||14-0||Bailey Frederick||Marvin Ridge|