Trenton Guy Jr. was after a national title and a car in the 100m dash while Kamorean Hayes was after a national title and a national record. Both had extra incentive to perform at their bests today at Nike Outdoor Nationals.
Trenton Guy Jr. ran 10.41 and ran away from the field. He was extremely excited, but I don't think he was as thrilled as Trenton Guy Sr. Pops jumped over the railing and was going nuts. It was a great thing to see! Trenton said to me with a laugh, "I really wanted 10.3 because my dad promised me a car. I should have leaned."
Well, it wasn't a car, but is a ring and a National title! Way to go.
Kamorean Hayes had told me earlier in the week she really was after the national record. That didn't happen today, as she won with a throw just over 50'. However, with Kamorean's win, she swept both National titles, indoor & outdoor, as a sophomore, junior, and a senior. That's remarkable. When I reminded her of that, she couldn't help but smile. Kamorean had hurt her hand a few weeks back was still able to perform when it counted. She has decided not to throw the discus, so she can "rest". This has become Kamorean's newest goal.
Other top performances from North Carolina athletes: (If I missed anyone, please let me know)
- 100m Dash - Gabby Mayo of SE Raleigh finished 2nd to sophomore sensation, Chalonda Goodman of GA.
- 100m Dash - Nyosha Bryant of Harding finished 5th with a quick time of 11.81.
- 400m Dash, Emerging Elite - Freshman Mimi Morlu of Providence Day ran a PR of 56.95 and finished 3rd overall.
- 100m Hurdles - Latoya James of Burlington Cummings was the 6th fastest qualifier. She ran 14.14 in the prelims.
- 100m Dash, Emerging Elite - Malai Walker of Charlotte Latin placed 2nd with a time of 12.05. Her time was just 1 one hundredth of a second behind 1st. It was a great race.
- 100m Dash, Emerging Elite - Christy Johnson of Athens Drive finished 4th in 12.18.
- 4x100m Relay - Harding University High School, last years champs, qualified 3rd in the prelims with a time of 46.62.
- High Jump - Patience Coleman of Southern Durham finished 2nd with a clearance of 5-08.
- 400m Dash, Emerging Elite - Ashboro's Mike Eddy won the race with a quick time of 48.84. With his win in the first ever emerging elite 400m he has established the meet record!
- 1 mile run, Emerging Elite - Sean Sewell of Cardinal Gibbons ran a fantastic race in the mile run. He took over the race with 600 to go, but was nipped at the line. Sean ran 4:15.97, 1st place was 4:15.95.
- 100m Dash, Emerging Elite - Chris Culliver of Garner won the race with a time of 10.99.
- 100m Dash, Emerging Elite - Chris Herring of Knightdale finished 4th in 11.09.
- 100m Dash - TJ Graham of Wakefield finished 3rd in the race. TJ ran a very solid 10.53.
- 4x100m Relay - Knightdale's boys qualified for the finals with the 7th fastest time, 41.97.
- 110m Hurdles, Emerging Elite - Robert Blanton of Butler finished 2nd in 14.63
- 110m Hurdles, Emerging Elite - Keare Smith of Garner was sixth in the same race with a 14.88.
- 110m Hurdles - North Carolina has 4 of the top 6 qualifiers for tomorrow's finals. National champ, Johnny Dutch of Clayton qualified 1st with a 13.64. Spencer Adams of Butler was the 3rd fastest in 13.83, with Wayne Davis II close behind in 13.88. Finally, Charlton Rolle of RJ Reynolds was the 6th fastest in 13.96. Tomorrow could be very special for NC!