Durham Striders Eastern HS Challenge 2012

• Mike Rowland
    User
    Insider
    ThrowsCchR
    Here I am with my excited (slightly biased) view on this Meet. The TOP THREE Boy Shot-Putters in the State are competing as well as five of the top seven shot-putters.

This should be a really competetive competition to watch!
  • Coach
    Insider
    CDoug
    Boys 55m

There are 12 boys listed faster than Tevin Hester who currently has the fastest FAT time in the nation. Will any of the boys seeded higher than him give him a challenge?
    Who will be the 8 in the finals?
  • Site Admin
    Insider
    CoachGeorgeRJR
    @bearcoach The highway 54 parking lot (corner of Raleigh Rd. and Country Club Rd.) is the closest walk to the facility, but can be hard to find a space depending on when you get there.
  • Robert McGimpsey,Jr.
    Coach
    Insider
    MackFHS
    @CDoug Coach, his time is not the fastest FAT time in the country right now.....it is the fastest time PERIOD!!!!. In a race as short as the 55 hand-times are just guesses and most of the time not very good guesses. All hand-times are just approximations and for distances like 40 yds,50 yds.,55 meters, 60 meters and yards and the 100....most hand times should just be thrown out; and are for official record purposes. there is no way there are 12 guys faster than that kid in this or any 3 states around us. Prediction, barring something unforseen....he wins again!!
  • Charles Douglas
    User
    Waddell
    @bearcoach
    It's a rolling schedule so it's hard to say a time for the 300 and 500.
    55 M Hurdles (Semis)
    55 M Dash (Semis)
    55 M Hurdles 55 M Dash (Finals)
    1600 M Run Seeded (Finals – Top 14 Entries)
    500 M Run
    1000 M Run
    300 M Dash
    4x400 M Relay
  • Coach
    Insider
    CDoug
    Notice the top 20 entered times for the Eastern Challenge compared to their times from the NC Opener. Only two entered the time from the NC Opener.

1 Milikien, Jamarii 6.20 entry time 6.69 NC Opener
    1 Little, Brandon 6.20 entry time 6.70 NC Opener
    3 Jackson, Taris 6.25 entry time 6.59 NC Opener
    4 Holt, Jaylon 6.30 entry time 6.74 NC Opener
    4 Hood, Elijah 6.30 entry time
    4 Harris, Barry 6.30 entry time
    4 Dove, Derrick 6.30 entry time
    4 McLean, Brandon 6.30 entry time 6.65 NC Opener
    4 Richardson, Terrell 6.30 entry time
    4 Jones, Trey 6.30 entry time
    4 Barbour, Tamerick 6.30 entry time
    12 McCoy, Darius 6.35 entry time
    12 Hester, Tevin 6.35 entry time 6.35 NC Opener
    14 House, James 6.40 entry time 6.73 NC Opener
    14 Johnson, Essa 6.40 entry time
    14 Blake, Eric 6.40 entry time 6.81 NC Opener
    14 Parker, Malik 6.40 entry time
    14 Sheppard, Darrell 6.40 entry time 6.73 NC Opener
    19 Gurley, Todd 6.44 entry time
    20 Tindall, Aaron 6.47 entry time 6.47 NC Opener
  • Coach
    Insider
    kvsmith95
    @CDoug
    Does it really matter in the 55? Top 8 will make the finals and the fastest will win. There is no reward for being for being seeded higher and the fastest man or women on that day will win. Does anyone go back to look at where someone was seeded after the meet? If people enter incorrect seed times they'll get rewarded when the gun goes off. The track doesn't lie!
  • Charles Douglas
    User
    Waddell
    @kvsmith95
    Seeding in the 55 does matter. Maybe not in a meet where they take the fastest times to the finals, but in a meet where they take the heat winner or the top places it matters. You could have two or three of the truly fastest runners in the same heat because they got bumped down because of someone else's inflated entry time and one doesn't make the finals because he finishes third, but his time is faster than another heat winner.
  • Coach
    Insider
    kvsmith95
    @Waddell Yes, your are definitely correct! It's pretty bad when two or three of top eight fastest times are sitting out the finals. That is the reason why I'm 100 percent against taking heat winners to the finals. The clock doesn't lie, so prelim time should always be the deciding factor of who makes the finals especially at the high school and college level.
  • Robert McGimpsey,Jr.
    Coach
    Insider
    MackFHS
    A few points: (1)I always look at seed times-any hand times that are not faster than my kids FAT times; I disregard......my kids faster....ex. Kid with a 6.5 hand time; my kid 6.64 FAT...my kid's probably going to win that matchup......I also use my own seed times to see how my kids are progressing....so I use the most accurate times that I have...keeps me from having unrealistic expectations....(2)I feel that in the short sprints indoors that we should go back to trials, semis and finals....it doesn't extend the meet that much more and the kids run faster as they go along; and more of the best kids race and sort themselves out; especially with such HUGE fields..that's pretty tight to take the top 8 times out of 100 kids....WOW!!. At least take the top 16 and have 2 semis; or take top 32; 4 semis and top 2 from each heat or top eight times then.....just thoughts. (3) Also based on the seed times given and giving preference to the Electronic times (as should be) here's how it shakes out-6.35, 6.47, 6.59, 6.65, 6.69, 6.70, 6.73, 6.73, 6.74, 6.81, then the miscellaneous hand-timed 6.30's, 6.40, 6.40,6.40, 6.50...add the conversions and you get their more realistic times; which for seed purposes could be used. You guys can do the conversions....ALSO, which brings me to (4) 6.54 FAT is not a realistic qualifying time for the STATE meet in the 55 dash....IT'S TOO D--- FAST!!!! How many legit (read FAT) 6.54's do we have in a year; then when you further sub-divide by class-1-A, 2-A, 3-A, and 4-A; how many do we really have??? Use MileSplit, filter out the hand-times and then divide by class....you might be surprised. Also, last point....because of the inaccuracies of hand-timing; you ALWAYS have bewildered kids, parents, and, sadly, coaches with that look on their face and whining, "I and/or he ran 6.4 at ____________? There must be something wrong with that time..." There's nothing wrong with the timing; that's just how fast you really are...the electronic eye don't lie!! As in all things; knowledge is the difference.