Nike does not like to place second

• User
    Insider
    KYinNC
    Because Sean McGorty and Sophie Chase did not run Nike Southeast, Their high schools were not given an at large berth to the National finals in Oregon.

Both schools (Chantilly and Lake Braddock) were ranked in the top 15 in the latest poll. Brett Honeycutt needs to do an expose.
  • Ben Hovis
    User
    Insider
    CoachHovis
    @KYinNC
    I may have to agree with you on this one. I was pretty shocked that Chantilly didn't make it. There was really no reason for them to get left off. I'm sure this sends a message.

It's such a tough choice for some kids. Too bad the NXN SE and FL S regions are on the same days.
  • Site Admin
    Insider
    CoachGeorgeRJR
    @CoachHovis It's especially tough because some of the NXN regionals are NOT the same day as the corresponding Foot Locker regional. So, for example, Texas runners can easily qualify for both NXN and Foot Locker, but apparently those in the Southeast cannot. What makes the decision look even more small and petty, in my opinion, is that Nike seems to be shooting themselves in the foot here: why wouldn't you want Sean McGorty in your race? The guy that crushed both WakeMed's course record and Foot Locker South's meet record in the same season? Since Cheserek is going to Foot Locker, McGorty could have been the headliner at NXN. Plus, what the Chantilly boys did without him was amazing; why punish the team for the athlete's decision? Seems very short-sighted to me.
  • User
    Insider
    4rnrgrlz
    If you are top flight team and your #1 opts to run in a competing race, what message is being sent to Nike? Whose to say the number 1's run in Portland with Footlocker the following week, even if the team was invited. Had each team's repsective number 1's run, they would have gone. I am curious for the coaches out there, if you had a team that was NXN qualifying good and are led by a stud #1, what would your position be relative to him/her running at footlocker?
  • User
    Insider
    SCXCcoach
    Another question is this: Why aren't all the NXN regionals run on the same day? Two of the regionals were run two weeks ago (Nov. 10 & 11). Three more of them were last week (Nov. 17). Finally, there were three more this past week (Nov. 24, including the one @ WakeMed). It seems there would be both advantages and disadvantages to running NXN Regionals just one week prior to the nationals, or running 2 or 3 weeks prior to nationals. But, all in all, it doesn't make sense, especially in light of the conflict it causes w/the FootLocker races. I can't imagine that Nike would be trying to out-do FootLocker, since I would suppose the number one selling brand @ FootLocker stores is Nike.
  • Site Admin
    Insider
    CoachGeorgeRJR
    @SCXCcoach I think a lot of people don't realize that NXN is a very small event for Nike, and it is mostly handled by a small committee of people. I can assure you that Phil Knight does not have a direct hand in operating the meet or deciding who attends (if he did, I am sure it would be based on marketing, because he is a smart man). All it takes is for a few people on that committee to have a very short-sighted, petty view of how things are supposed to go (like a "rivalry" with a meet sponsored by a company that sells your brand), and you can get poor results.
  • Coach
    adeyabo
    Chantilly definitely should've gotten the bid. Very petty on the part of the committee. As far as the coaches, technically, it isn't their call, especially with a senior, because they are running as a "club" and it is a post season meet not sanctioned by the high school associations.

Anyway, San Diego is pretty tempting a place to go over Portland, lol.