Ben Huffman led his Providence Day squad to one of the most impressive team performances of a great weekend.
What Did We Learn This Week (in no particular order, and certainly not covering every detail of a big weekend):
- Broughton's boys are the best in the state at this point; deep, talented.
- Christian White, 1:54 800 runner from Ardrey Kell, is now at Charlotte Latin. Big change in both 4A and NCISAA 3A state meets this spring!
- When you insert Rachel Bartolomeo and Samiiah Wilson (both in uniform but not racing Saturday), Cardinal Gibbons girls are very close to Green Hope.
- Providence girls are better than advertised, and will make some noise for the next two years.
- Mount Tabor's girls look a lot more like a top-10 4A team this weekend; excellent rebound, and still room to improve.
- Broughton's girls appear to have a depth problem, even when Mattie Blue is racing again.
- Mary Grace Doggett and Kayla Montgomery both opened the season with all-time PR's.
- Megan Sullivan is going to be a monster this year.
- Bakri Abushouk is in fantastic shape, and will make a serious run at being NC's top dog if he stays healthy.
- Cary's boys might be the #2 team in the state at this point.
- Freshmen Jeremy Brown of Broughton and Sophie Ebihara of Cardinal Gibbons are both the real deal.
- This week, it's the Weddington boys that don't look as good as they have been ranked, though they still look strong; again it's early.
- Jackson Park was a little wet and a little longer than last year, while McAlpine was perfect; take comparisons with a grain of salt. The top 100 at WNC this year were slower than the top 100 last year.
- Nikolaus Kreiling (Jordan) is early leader for most improved, with Tima Karginov (Chapel Hill) and Dalton Nickel (Mount Tabor) also on the ballot.
- Providence Day is the clear favorite for NCISAA 3A boys title right now, and could hang with almost anyone in NCHSAA.
- Darby Middlebrook is in fantastic shape; for context, she ran only 6 seconds behind former Spring Valley and Stanford runner Kate Niehaus, and Kate had another runner with her the whole way.
- With Lily Anderson on board, the TC Roberson girls will be contenders for a spot in the all-classes top 5 by the end of the year.
- AC Reynolds has a really good young girls' team; if Larissa Wood gets back to her top form, they have a chance to be outstanding next year.
- Watauga's girls showed their depth, running well without Doria Kosmala this weekend.
- I get the sense we haven't seen the best of Watauga's boys yet this year; could be training through their races right now. They need a 5th man to step up.
|Providence Invitational: Girls A Race||Providence Invitational: Boys B Race||Providence Invitational: Boys A Race|
- 5000 Meter Run - Megan Sullivan (Broughton) 18:12.00 SB; Sydney Foreman (Ardrey Kell) 18:14.00 SB; Mary Grace Doggett (Cardinal Gibbons) 18:21.00 SB; Malia Ellington (Community School of Davidson) 18:31.00 SB; Kayla Montgomery (Mount Tabor) 18:33.00 SB; Sophie Ebihara (Cardinal Gibbons) 18:34.00 SB; Faith Lifer (Hilton Head) 18:36.00 SB; Maura McDonnell (Green Hope) 18:40.00 SB; Anna Mcbride (Davie County) 18:41.00 SB; Meri Heneage (Lexington) 18:46.00 SB; Allie Castro (North Lincoln) 19:09.00 SB; Kelsey Moore (Broughton) 19:10.00 SB; Bianca Bishop (Providence) 19:10.00 SB; Grace Sullivan (Providence) 19:11.00 SB; Margot Corcoran (Charlotte Catholic) 19:14.00 SB; Anna McElrath (Independence) 19:17.00 SB; Sydney Teague (Ardrey Kell) 19:19.00 SB; Kristen Lospinoso (Green Hope) 19:22.00 SB; Mallary Price (Weddington High School) 19:23.00 SB; Haylee Love (Lexington) 19:31.00 SB; Allie Worsdale (Green Hope) 19:36.00 SB; Carly Kreber (Bishop McGuinness) 19:43.00 SB; Ashley Smith (West Forsyth) 19:46.00 SB; Katie Magee (Cardinal Gibbons) 19:47.00 SB; Morgan Garrett (Weddington High School) 19:48.00 SB; Emily Boesch (Green Hope) 19:50.00 SB; Samantha Teague (Ardrey Kell) 19:53.00 SB; Katie Tomasi (Green Hope) 19:54.00 SB; Helen Griffith (Providence) 19:57.00 SB; Katelin Killman (Lexington) 20:00.00 SB; Anna Gervasi (Mount Tabor) 20:03.00 SB; Alden Kessenich (Marvin Ridge) 20:04.00 SB; Sarah Jennings (Lexington) 20:06.00 SB; Kayla Glova (Providence) 20:08.00 SB; Bari Robinson (Lexington) 20:11.00 SB; Carley McGlinn (Hilton Head) 20:12.00 SB; Alex Simmons (Cuthbertson High School) 20:12.00 SB; Mary Klemons (Ardrey Kell) 20:14.00 SB; Kaitelin Keene (Lexington) 20:16.00 SB; Taylor Reardon (Marvin Ridge) 20:19.00 SB; Marissa Lundsten (Community School of Davidson) 20:20.00 SB; Kathryn Hayes (West Forsyth) 20:20.00 SB; Kylie Hennessey (Marvin Ridge) 20:21.00 SB; Sabrina Heck (Lake Norman) 20:27.00 SB; Abby Rice (Hickory Ridge) 20:28.00 SB; Ashley Herrin (Hickory Ridge) 20:28.00 SB; Charlotte Deiss (East Mecklenburg) 20:30.00 SB;
- 5000 Meter Run - Bakri Abushouk (Cary) 15:20.00 SB; Jack Manesiotis (Hilton Head) 15:22.00 SB; Tony Morales (Lexington) 15:26.00 SB; Zack Langston (Lexington) 15:40.00 SB; William Roberson (Broughton) 15:40.00 SB; John Dalton Rohr (Broughton) 15:40.00 SB; Dalton Nickel (Mount Tabor) 15:41.00 SB; Wyatt Maxey (Providence) 15:46.00 SB; Nikolaus Kreiling (Jordan) 15:56.00 SB; Abel Tecle (Cary) 15:57.00 SB; Asher Smith-Rose (Broughton) 15:59.00 SB; Jeremy Brown (Broughton) 16:02.00 SB; Ian Milder (Mount Tabor) 16:03.00 SB; Daniel Beamer (Jordan) 16:08.00 SB; Sean McMahon (Hilton Head) 16:09.00 SB; Allen Lawrence (Broughton) 16:10.00 SB; Nick Tyrey (Cardinal Gibbons) 16:14.00 SB; Matt Burns (Weddington High School) 16:16.00 SB; Patrick Sheehan (Lake Norman) 16:19.00 SB; Erik Wendt (Lexington) 16:20.00 SB; Andrew Krivsky (Mount Tabor) 16:21.00 SB; Tom Nobles (Green Hope) 16:22.00 SB; Andrew Fea (North Lincoln) 16:22.00 SB; Josh Barrett (Cary) 16:27.00 SB; Justin Lane (Cary) 16:28.00 SB; Sam Williams (Bishop McGuinness) 16:28.00 SB; Blake White (Lexington) 16:28.00 SB; Chris Boyle (North Lincoln) 16:30.00 SB; Tanner Glackin (Weddington High School) 16:33.00 SB; Robel Tecle (Cary) 16:35.00 SB; Alex Cornwell (Hickory Ridge) 16:38.00 SB; Colton Hennessey (Hilton Head) 16:38.00 SB; Evan Georges (Charlotte Catholic) 16:40.00 SB; Dean Abushouk (Cary) 16:41.00 SB; Will Sandin (Broughton) 16:43.00 SB; Ryan Shannon (North Lincoln) 16:44.00 SB; Cody Nagy (Cardinal Gibbons) 16:46.00 SB; Chris Burns (Weddington High School) 16:47.00 SB; Mason Lenox (Northwestern) 16:48.00 SB; Luke Warner (Weddington High School) 16:50.00 SB; Nathan Kirse (Mount Tabor) 16:51.00 SB; Joe Sullivan (Providence) 16:51.00 SB; Peter Millsaps (Broughton) 16:52.00 SB; Conor Honeycutt (East Rowan) 16:53.00 SB; Jake Zawada (Cardinal Gibbons) 16:53.00 SB; Mario Lund (Cardinal Gibbons) 16:54.00 SB; Michael Staples (South View) 16:59.00 SB; Garrett Farrimond (West Forsyth) 16:59.00 SB; Colton Lawson (Northern Durham) 17:00.00 SB; David Edwards (Cardinal Gibbons) 17:00.00 SB;
A look at the state and how runners fared with meets in North Carolina and South Carolina.
The 15-mile relay at Eastside and Run Wild Festival hosted by Richland Northeast highlight instate action this weekend. Several teams are traveling to North Carolina for the Providence Invitational and Western North Carolina Carnival.
- 5000 Meter Run - Darby Middlebrook (Watauga) 18:15.00 SB; Brooke Gordon (T.C. Roberson) 18:45.72 SB; Laura Miller (J.L. Mann) 19:06.99 SB; Lily Anderson (T.C. Roberson) 19:09.47 SB; Tristin Van Ord (Chapel Hill) 19:22.46 SB; Emma Brown (Providence Day School) 19:33.26 SB; Madison Harman (Watauga) 19:37.62 SB; Anna Vess (A.C. Reynolds) 19:50.15 SB; Rachel Koon (T.C. Roberson) 19:51.34 SB; Emma Himelein-wachowiak (A.C. Reynolds) 19:59.08 SB; Marija Crook (Chapel Hill) 20:21.06 SB; Emma Astrike-davis (Cary Academy) 20:21.73 SB; Regan Roeber (Chapel Hill) 20:25.19 SB; Katarina Ruehl (North Buncombe) 20:26.21 SB; Anastasia Soule (T.C. Roberson) 20:29.02 SB;
- 5000 Meter Run - Noah Green (Patton) 16:43.70 SB; Ben Huffman (Providence Day School) 15:56.61 SB; Colin Godwin (Cary Academy) 16:06.83 SB; Tanis Baldwin (East Henderson ) 16:17.19 SB; Tima Karginov (Chapel Hill) 16:21.72 SB; Zach Boone (Mitchell) 16:22.55 SB; Chris Reeder (Chapel Hill) 16:35.28 SB; Josh Anderson (Watauga) 16:36.66 SB; Nick Linder (Providence Day School) 16:42.80 SB; Josh Mitchell (Cary Academy) 16:44.66 SB; Ryan Lawson (Dorman) 16:48.33 SB; Drew Roeber (Chapel Hill) 16:49.80 SB; Dylan Johnson (Hayesville) 16:52.85 SB; Connor McCormack (Spring Valley) 16:58.34 SB; Paul Kovach (T.C. Roberson) 16:59.16 SB; River Gordon (T.C. Roberson) 16:59.86 SB;