Bojangles Apex Relays 2012
04/22/2012 4:53:42 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We all owe a heartfelt Thank-You to Roy Cooper. This was, as always, a great high school meet. A wonderful atmosphere, with the right amount of organization in a very relaxed setting. Excellent competition in every event. The kids and coaches of the 48 schools who attended are lucky to have such a meet. The preparation that goes into hosting a track meet of this magnitude is an enormous undertaking. To handle all the details so well is a very impressive feat. Our thanks go out to all the people who worked so hard to assist Roy, but he is the one who has to pull it all together. Great Job!
We all owe a heartfelt Thank-You to Roy Cooper. This was, as always, a great high school meet. A wonderful atmosphere, with the right amount of organization in a very relaxed setting. Excellent competition in every event. The kids and coaches of the 48 schools who attended are lucky to have such a meet. The preparation that goes into hosting a track meet of this magnitude is an enormous undertaking. To handle all the details so well is a very impressive feat. Our thanks go out to all the people who worked so hard to assist Roy, but he is the one who has to pull it all together. Great Job!
04/23/2012 12:03:39 PM
Coach
Totally agree with Coach Cullen and Coach Gray. Bojangle's is one of the meets (if not THE meet) we most look forward to every year. It's extremely well-organized, a reflection of the amount of time, effort, and attention to detail the folks at Apex put in. The competition is always outstanding. I really enjoyed the trivia questions given throughout the day this year. Fun way to keep the fans engaged, as if the races weren't doing that already! Coach Collins from Green Hope.
Totally agree with Coach Cullen and Coach Gray. Bojangle's is one of the meets (if not THE meet) we most look forward to every year. It's extremely well-organized, a reflection of the amount of time, effort, and attention to detail the folks at Apex put in. The competition is always outstanding. I really enjoyed the trivia questions given throughout the day this year. Fun way to keep the fans engaged, as if the races weren't doing that already! Coach Collins from Green Hope.
04/23/2012 4:37:55 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@jhgray *DISCLAIMER: this response is not directed at the Apex staff in any way, for they do a great job.* I find your response very interesting, considering nobody on here has asked or said anything about faster results. I believe one poster inquired about a single missing event, the only event that was not posted for spectators and coaches to read during the course of the meet. Since the athletes were told that those results would eventually be forthcoming, it seems like a valid question. The poster was polite, and seemed to understand the circumstances and move on. Here's another valid question: in this day and age, why can't spectators and coaches have both an excellent meet AND fast results? We can see event-by-event results of track and field competitions around the world, as they are happening, and often watch live video of the performances over the internet. Why should I need to "get a life" if I expect to see results from a major high school invitational within a few days? So, let me turn the sentence around, and you tell me how it feels to you: coaches who don't see the importance of reporting the results of their meet promptly need to "get with the times." I would say that the world is changing, but the truth is that it [i]already has changed[/i], and some coaches are clearly getting left behind. The days of each team bringing a scorebook to the meet and hand-writing everything should be long gone now, and even excel spreadsheets are behind the curve. With free meet management software available to everyone, there is simply no excuse anymore; it takes [i]less time[/i] after the meet to use the software than to do results by hand or by spreadsheet, and it is easier to report results. And by the way, this website (of which you were so dismissive) was visited by over 28,000 unique and separate people over the last 30 days, and has received 919,000 hits in the same time period. So maybe it's you that have the wrong idea about what is important to today's track and field community.
@jhgray *DISCLAIMER: this response is not directed at the Apex staff in any way, for they do a great job.*

I find your response very interesting, considering nobody on here has asked or said anything about faster results. I believe one poster inquired about a single missing event, the only event that was not posted for spectators and coaches to read during the course of the meet. Since the athletes were told that those results would eventually be forthcoming, it seems like a valid question. The poster was polite, and seemed to understand the circumstances and move on.

Here's another valid question: in this day and age, why can't spectators and coaches have both an excellent meet AND fast results? We can see event-by-event results of track and field competitions around the world, as they are happening, and often watch live video of the performances over the internet. Why should I need to "get a life" if I expect to see results from a major high school invitational within a few days?

So, let me turn the sentence around, and you tell me how it feels to you: coaches who don't see the importance of reporting the results of their meet promptly need to "get with the times." I would say that the world is changing, but the truth is that it already has changed, and some coaches are clearly getting left behind. The days of each team bringing a scorebook to the meet and hand-writing everything should be long gone now, and even excel spreadsheets are behind the curve. With free meet management software available to everyone, there is simply no excuse anymore; it takes less time after the meet to use the software than to do results by hand or by spreadsheet, and it is easier to report results.

And by the way, this website (of which you were so dismissive) was visited by over 28,000 unique and separate people over the last 30 days, and has received 919,000 hits in the same time period. So maybe it's you that have the wrong idea about what is important to today's track and field community.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.