Article Comment: NCRunners.com XC Coaches Poll #3
09/18/2008 7:59:39 AM
User
yesterday we ran against West Montgomery (1A), and they had a very strong team, I think they can sneak into states, they should be watched
yesterday we ran against West Montgomery (1A), and they had a very strong team, I think they can sneak into states, they should be watched
09/18/2008 8:45:14 AM
User
3A coaches: Don't forget about W. Carteret! If you know Coach Mayo, you know he will have good teams. Last week at our first conference meet, W. Cart. boys and girls blew the rest of the conference away. W. Carteret are annual state qualifiers, and I expect they will be again this year. Don't be surprised to see them in the top 10 by season's end. Another surprise team may be DHConley's boys. You may not have heard of them, but they will be good this year.
3A coaches: Don't forget about W. Carteret! If you know Coach Mayo, you know he will have good teams. Last week at our first conference meet, W. Cart. boys and girls blew the rest of the conference away. W. Carteret are annual state qualifiers, and I expect they will be again this year. Don't be surprised to see them in the top 10 by season's end.

Another surprise team may be DHConley's boys. You may not have heard of them, but they will be good this year.
09/18/2008 8:48:18 AM
User
In 1A Hayesville should be running against Hendersonville on Sat. Hayesville boys are dominating the Smoky Mountain Monfrence with 6 runners finishing in the top ten. Tyler Breedlove ran a 16:53 in the meet at Murphy yesterday. Go Jackets
In 1A Hayesville should be running against Hendersonville on Sat. Hayesville boys are dominating the Smoky Mountain Monfrence with 6 runners finishing in the top ten. Tyler Breedlove ran a 16:53 in the meet at Murphy yesterday. Go Jackets
09/18/2008 9:55:11 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I was wondering who votes on the teams to decide their rankings?
I was wondering who votes on the teams to decide their rankings?
09/18/2008 11:09:12 AM
User
You were wondering which of the coaches vote in the coaches poll? I am pretty sure it is open to any coach who takes the time to submit a ballot. http://nc.milesplit.us/articles/19290 I think early in the season the coaches who vote tend to vote for the strong teams in their area, as well as, teams that have done well in the past. Until the invitational start rolling around there is no real way to know much about a team you have not seen.
You were wondering which of the coaches vote in the coaches poll? I am pretty sure it is open to any coach who takes the time to submit a ballot.

http://nc.milesplit.us/articles/19290

I think early in the season the coaches who vote tend to vote for the strong teams in their area, as well as, teams that have done well in the past. Until the invitational start rolling around there is no real way to know much about a team you have not seen.
09/18/2008 1:42:24 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Yes, that is correct. It is open to any coach who takes the time to check the rankings, look at results, and do some comparing. I'd say there are about 20-25 coaches who participate, obviously most only vote for their classification. It's awesome that so many 1A coaches participate. I'd love to have more 2A coaches, half of those votes are coming from Coach McMahon and I. We need more input! Encourage your coach to vote! Or vote if you are a coach.
Yes, that is correct. It is open to any coach who takes the time to check the rankings, look at results, and do some comparing. I'd say there are about 20-25 coaches who participate, obviously most only vote for their classification.

It's awesome that so many 1A coaches participate. I'd love to have more 2A coaches, half of those votes are coming from Coach McMahon and I. We need more input!

Encourage your coach to vote! Or vote if you are a coach.
09/19/2008 4:08:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
do we just email you (coach hovis)? and when do we have to do it by?
do we just email you (coach hovis)? and when do we have to do it by?
09/20/2008 7:58:19 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Yes you do, email me at ben.hovis@providenceday.org. This week is an off week as the poll comes out every other week. Votes must be in by Monday at midnight. You can vote for as many classes as you'd like, as long as you are making educated decisions.
Yes you do, email me at ben.hovis@providenceday.org. This week is an off week as the poll comes out every other week. Votes must be in by Monday at midnight. You can vote for as many classes as you'd like, as long as you are making educated decisions.
09/22/2008 5:14:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
thanks!
thanks!
09/22/2008 6:51:58 PM
User
how about leesville? i heard they crushed sanderson the other day on an off day? is that true?
how about leesville? i heard they crushed sanderson the other day on an off day? is that true?
09/22/2008 8:43:21 PM
User
I have a question concerning rankings. Why is it there are meets posted with times on this sight, but the times are not posted in the rankings ? It seems they only post the times from the big meets. Shouldn't all the times be posted?
I have a question concerning rankings. Why is it there are meets posted with times on this sight, but the times are not posted in the rankings ? It seems they only post the times from the big meets. Shouldn't all the times be posted?
09/22/2008 9:21:52 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
If results are sent in using HYTEK then they are easily uploading into the database. If coaches send in results simply sent in using word, excel, etc. they aren't as "webmaster" friendly. Those results will not show up in the database. Possibly the top 5 overall or so.
If results are sent in using HYTEK then they are easily uploading into the database. If coaches send in results simply sent in using word, excel, etc. they aren't as "webmaster" friendly. Those results will not show up in the database. Possibly the top 5 overall or so.
09/23/2008 7:28:34 AM
User
When your opponent has 5 of the top 10 and 14 of the top 25 places, I wouldn't quite say that you "crushed" them. Especially, when 2 of their top 10 are doing a workout on the track during the meet. I will hand it to Leesville they are young, tough and will be a contender if not this year, definitely the next. I see a lot of similarities in both teams. Plus, boy do they know how to run up a flight of 30 stairs really quick. Wow what a different course!
When your opponent has 5 of the top 10 and 14 of the top 25 places, I wouldn't quite say that you "crushed" them. Especially, when 2 of their top 10 are doing a workout on the track during the meet. I will hand it to Leesville they are young, tough and will be a contender if not this year, definitely the next. I see a lot of similarities in both teams. Plus, boy do they know how to run up a flight of 30 stairs really quick. Wow what a different course!
09/23/2008 8:32:42 AM
User
Looking at the results, a 7 point win by Leesville does not really count as a "crushing", but they did win the meet. Sanderson may have had runners out, but not any of their top 7 acording to the data base. Leesville won the dual but Sanderson did better than Leesville at Wolfpack. Both are tough, young teams but being in the same Region as the top 3 4A teams, Green Hope, Chapel Hill and Broughton (according to the latest poll) will make it tough for any team to slip into an easy bid to States this year. Enloe and a surprisingly good Middle Creek should make this an exciting Regional and a great battle for that 4th bid.
Looking at the results, a 7 point win by Leesville does not really count as a "crushing", but they did win the meet. Sanderson may have had runners out, but not any of their top 7 acording to the data base. Leesville won the dual but Sanderson did better than Leesville at Wolfpack.

Both are tough, young teams but being in the same Region as the top 3 4A teams, Green Hope, Chapel Hill and Broughton (according to the latest poll) will make it tough for any team to slip into an easy bid to States this year. Enloe and a surprisingly good Middle Creek should make this an exciting Regional and a great battle for that 4th bid.
09/23/2008 10:54:08 AM
User
Here's the good and bad thing about XC. Regular season conference/dual meets don't mean anything. Coaches do many things w/those meets, but rarely are they used for peak performances. They might be used as part of a high mileage day. Or, they may be part of a tempo or fartlek day. Sometimes some or all of the top 7 don't run, esp. if they are getting ready for a weekend invite. Sometimes, members of the top 7 are teaching the younger runners how to pace & race. So if Sanderson beats Leesville, or vice versa, it doesn't mean anything b/c we don't know what the strategy of each team was. What we do know is that when conference meets come in a few weeks, each team better be bringing their "A game," b/c that's the first meet of the season that really means anything.
Here's the good and bad thing about XC. Regular season conference/dual meets don't mean anything. Coaches do many things w/those meets, but rarely are they used for peak performances. They might be used as part of a high mileage day. Or, they may be part of a tempo or fartlek day. Sometimes some or all of the top 7 don't run, esp. if they are getting ready for a weekend invite. Sometimes, members of the top 7 are teaching the younger runners how to pace & race. So if Sanderson beats Leesville, or vice versa, it doesn't mean anything b/c we don't know what the strategy of each team was. What we do know is that when conference meets come in a few weeks, each team better be bringing their "A game," b/c that's the first meet of the season that really means anything.
09/23/2008 12:04:57 PM
User
I agree with SCXCcoach. Our team has 4 girls that usually cross the finish line together at these dual meets but run times 2 minutes apart on the weekend meets. And yes, I have seen them run 5 miles before the meet and a mile cool down after the meet. So in no certain terms would I put much validity in dual meet times.
I agree with SCXCcoach. Our team has 4 girls that usually cross the finish line together at these dual meets but run times 2 minutes apart on the weekend meets. And yes, I have seen them run 5 miles before the meet and a mile cool down after the meet. So in no certain terms would I put much validity in dual meet times.
09/23/2008 8:34:37 PM
User
My mistake guys, I was just wondering why sanderson made the list and leesville did not even get any votes. It was just a question of curiosity. I've just run in the past, and was wondering about the local teams.
My mistake guys, I was just wondering why sanderson made the list and leesville did not even get any votes. It was just a question of curiosity. I've just run in the past, and was wondering about the local teams.
09/23/2008 9:56:35 PM
Coach
Raleigh Charter boys have started to run some good times for 1A. The Mid-State conference meets do not get entered here too much but Raleigh Charter had 2 runners at 17:05, another at 17:41 and 1 at 18:36. There 5th runner has been sick but normally runs close to the fourth runner. There is a pack of 3 others who are now poised to go under 20:00. These seem legit times to me since these same runners have run only slightly slower (30 to 40 seconds) times at Wake Med Soccer Park earlier this season when it was much hotter. They are worth keeping an eye on.
Raleigh Charter boys have started to run some good times for 1A. The Mid-State conference meets do not get entered here too much but Raleigh Charter had 2 runners at 17:05, another at 17:41 and 1 at 18:36. There 5th runner has been sick but normally runs close to the fourth runner. There is a pack of 3 others who are now poised to go under 20:00. These seem legit times to me since these same runners have run only slightly slower (30 to 40 seconds) times at Wake Med Soccer Park earlier this season when it was much hotter. They are worth keeping an eye on.
10/10/2008 10:39:37 AM
User
Will thanks for the comment but we owe it all to our coach. Even though it's his first yr coaching here at West and my first yr running it's quite obvious the impact he is having. We have gone from a last place team for yrs to being competitors all because of Coach Furr.
Will thanks for the comment but we owe it all to our coach. Even though it's his first yr coaching here at West and my first yr running it's quite obvious the impact he is having. We have gone from a last place team for yrs to being competitors all because of Coach Furr.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.