NCHSAA classes
05/02/2019 11:15:23 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Looks like NCHSAA will be adding a 5A class once they adjust the bylaws to permit it. This will certainly make a mess of the T&F Champs, necessitating another meet at the Regional and State level outdoors and State level indoors. Source: [url=https://www.highschoolot.com/nchsaa-seeks-to-add-5a-class-realignment-process-postponed/18361168/]https://www.highschoolot.com/nchsaa-seeks-to-add-5a-class-realignment-process-postponed/18361168/[/url]
Looks like NCHSAA will be adding a 5A class once they adjust the bylaws to permit it. This will certainly make a mess of the T&F Champs, necessitating another meet at the Regional and State level outdoors and State level indoors.

Source: https://www.highschoolot.com/nchsaa-seeks-to-add-5a-class-realignment-process-postponed/18361168/
05/02/2019 11:21:54 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The new realignment will include a sub-divided 4A classification. Beginning in 2021-2022, NCHSAA will have 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 4AA. NCHSAA will work on a vote to bylaws to change 4AA to 5A. NCHSAA realignment will occur during the 2020-2021 school year; collecting ADM numbers no later than March 2021. New alignment takes effect Aug. 1, 2021.
The new realignment will include a sub-divided 4A classification. Beginning in 2021-2022, NCHSAA will have 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 4AA.

NCHSAA will work on a vote to bylaws to change 4AA to 5A.

NCHSAA realignment will occur during the 2020-2021 school year; collecting ADM numbers no later than March 2021. New alignment takes effect Aug. 1, 2021.
05/02/2019 1:23:45 PM
Power User
This will also start to get expensive having multiple sites. We already want paid meet officials, moving to 5A will make things more difficult. I think we need to move toward what South Carolina does. They start with their region meets (aka conference) top 4 move to the state qualifier Some regions/conferences base the team champion based from duel meets during the season then us then use the meet as just a qualifying round, some use the conference meet as both. The state qualifier is pretty much a prelim meet, top 8 move on to the state meet. The state meet is a two day event with all 5 classifications at one site. I have linked the meet schedule below, 3A/4A/5A start on Friday and finish by lunchtime Saturday. 1/A/2A start their meet at 2pm. [url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1faXaq9KfGaYRTyzlq4M3Xu94wW4iHS-r/view]Meet Schedule[/url]
This will also start to get expensive having multiple sites. We already want paid meet officials, moving to 5A will make things more difficult. I think we need to move toward what South Carolina does.

They start with their region meets (aka conference) top 4 move to the state qualifier Some regions/conferences base the team champion based from duel meets during the season then us then use the meet as just a qualifying round, some use the conference meet as both.

The state qualifier is pretty much a prelim meet, top 8 move on to the state meet. The state meet is a two day event with all 5 classifications at one site. I have linked the meet schedule below, 3A/4A/5A start on Friday and finish by lunchtime Saturday. 1/A/2A start their meet at 2pm.

Meet Schedule
05/02/2019 3:18:40 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
How many would you propose coming from Conference to Regional, then Regional to State per event going forward? A reduction to 3 per Region to State (Ind & Relays) might make sense with the extra classification leading to an additional 250-ish athletes being able to compete at the State level with the current system.
How many would you propose coming from Conference to Regional, then Regional to State per event going forward? A reduction to 3 per Region to State (Ind & Relays) might make sense with the extra classification leading to an additional 250-ish athletes being able to compete at the State level with the current system.
05/04/2019 10:50:06 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@pwlockwood We're not going to do what South Carolina does. It's geographically impossible to do in a state this spread out, and NC also has twice as many schools in every classification. South Carolina doesn't follow the plan you describe in the smaller classes where many of the schools are near the edges of the state and might have both longer trips and smaller budgets. The idea that having five sets of regional and state meets will be too expensive, so we need to have everyone drive to Greensboro two weeks in a row, seems ... not well thought out. It also doesn't work unless you use a dual meet regular season to determine conference champions (because SC replaces conference meets with first-round state qualifiers), and I don't know anyone who wants to do that. I"m not saying there aren't people who want it, or even that I would be opposed in an ideal world with a long enough season, big enough team, and almost every school having a respectable track program. But in the real world of HS track, they are useless. My career experience with dual meets goes in 3 phases: growing up in WNC and never, ever running a dual meet; starting coaching in Wake County and asking "Why are we doing these dual meets? This is a waste of time. We run against teams without a single boy or girl running longer than 400 meters"; and moving back to the west and starting my current 15 year streak of never taking a team to a dual meet. How do you even officiate a meet with only two schools worth of coaches there? What this idea looks like to me is another attempt by Wake County to bypass regional qualifying. I've opposed every past effort to let strong regions take state meet spots from weak ones, in every forum. I'm opposed to this one, and I'll oppose any future ones. If you aren't good enough to qualify from your region, by definition, you don't deserve to make it to state. If you don't know how SC qualifying works, you don't need to spend time figuring it out because there is zero chance NCHSAA AD's and superintendents vote to do it here. I'm sorry for making you read this far. But other than that, it's a good plan.
@pwlockwood
We're not going to do what South Carolina does. It's geographically impossible to do in a state this spread out, and NC also has twice as many schools in every classification. South Carolina doesn't follow the plan you describe in the smaller classes where many of the schools are near the edges of the state and might have both longer trips and smaller budgets. The idea that having five sets of regional and state meets will be too expensive, so we need to have everyone drive to Greensboro two weeks in a row, seems ... not well thought out.
It also doesn't work unless you use a dual meet regular season to determine conference champions (because SC replaces conference meets with first-round state qualifiers), and I don't know anyone who wants to do that. I"m not saying there aren't people who want it, or even that I would be opposed in an ideal world with a long enough season, big enough team, and almost every school having a respectable track program. But in the real world of HS track, they are useless. My career experience with dual meets goes in 3 phases: growing up in WNC and never, ever running a dual meet; starting coaching in Wake County and asking "Why are we doing these dual meets? This is a waste of time. We run against teams without a single boy or girl running longer than 400 meters"; and moving back to the west and starting my current 15 year streak of never taking a team to a dual meet. How do you even officiate a meet with only two schools worth of coaches there?
What this idea looks like to me is another attempt by Wake County to bypass regional qualifying. I've opposed every past effort to let strong regions take state meet spots from weak ones, in every forum. I'm opposed to this one, and I'll oppose any future ones. If you aren't good enough to qualify from your region, by definition, you don't deserve to make it to state.

If you don't know how SC qualifying works, you don't need to spend time figuring it out because there is zero chance NCHSAA AD's and superintendents vote to do it here. I'm sorry for making you read this far.

But other than that, it's a good plan.
05/05/2019 9:15:23 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
My thoughts are they should keep the same format we have today of qualifying for regionals and the state meet. Going to 5 classes would keep the much larger schools together and smaller ones as well. Each year as more charter schools join the association it causes the public schools to get bunched up in the 3A and 4A classes. If you look at the 3A right now there are a number of 4A from several years ago just to equal the schools with the unbalance in regionals. Go to 5 classes and divide the equal this time. Do not divide by 25/30/30/25. Not fair to a number of schools. Just look at the football playoffs last fall and see how many teams did not have first round games because there were not enough teams. Should never happen.
My thoughts are they should keep the same format we have today of qualifying for regionals and the state meet. Going to 5 classes would keep the much larger schools together and smaller ones as well. Each year as more charter schools join the association it causes the public schools to get bunched up in the 3A and 4A classes. If you look at the 3A right now there are a number of 4A from several years ago just to equal the schools with the unbalance in regionals. Go to 5 classes and divide the equal this time. Do not divide by 25/30/30/25. Not fair to a number of schools. Just look at the football playoffs last fall and see how many teams did not have first round games because there were not enough teams. Should never happen.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.