3A West/Midwest regionals
02/28/2018 10:43:48 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
What are the teams different in the 3A West/Midwest regionals from XC to Track. Sent email to association but no reply in 2 weeks.
What are the teams different in the 3A West/Midwest regionals from XC to Track. Sent email to association but no reply in 2 weeks.
02/28/2018 11:11:11 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
As far as I can tell, the regions for track and XC are exactly the same
As far as I can tell, the regions for track and XC are exactly the same
02/28/2018 2:59:00 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Except Cuthbertson to West for Track & Midwest in XC. https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/2018TrackFieldRegionalAssignmentsRev.pdf
Except Cuthbertson to West for Track & Midwest in XC.
https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/2018TrackFieldRegionalAssignmentsRev.pdf
02/28/2018 3:15:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachSpencer Hadn't heard about that - what was the reason? It looks like it just shifts which region has one more team than all the others.
@CoachSpencer Hadn't heard about that - what was the reason?
It looks like it just shifts which region has one more team than all the others.
03/01/2018 7:33:51 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
so why would Cuthbertson be in the Midwest for XC and then move to the West for track
so why would Cuthbertson be in the Midwest for XC and then move to the West for track
03/01/2018 3:02:11 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Only speculation, but Midwest 3A had one more team than the other regions in XC so they moved one team to the West for Track for balance?
Only speculation, but Midwest 3A had one more team than the other regions in XC so they moved one team to the West for Track for balance?
03/02/2018 10:45:21 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachSpencer I get the concept but it doesn't make sense on so many levels. - If the number of teams is not a multiple of four, you can't have the same number per region. Moving a team so that one region has more in cross country and a different region has more in track does not make "balance" in either sport. - They did not (as far as I can tell) do this in any other classification, and we don't have identical numbers per region in all the other classes. - Even though there is a lot of crossover between coaches and athletes, cross country and track are completely separate sports. Do they move teams between regions for golf and wrestling for "balance"? - It hasn't been long since we could have 5+ more schools in one region than another, and the NCHSAA never worried about it then. Why would they be fussing around now with the differences that are unavoidable when you use whole numbers? I wondered if there was another school opening next year that would fall in the 3A Midwest, and they were moving now to level out the coming imbalance. But if that were the case, it seems like it would make a lot more sense to make the switch in the fall, when they new school was competing and when the new alignment would apply to the whole school year. Has Cuthbertson moved in any of the other four-region sports, like tennis or wrestling? This isn't meant as a criticism of Coach Spencer - just, I thought of the same thing, and if "balance" is really the reason it is the first time its ever been used by the NCHSAA and I've seen cases with MUCH larger imbalances between regions in the past and even today. I can't remember a region ever being changed in the middle of the school year for any reason.
@CoachSpencer I get the concept but it doesn't make sense on so many levels.
* If the number of teams is not a multiple of four, you can't have the same number per region. Moving a team so that one region has more in cross country and a different region has more in track does not make "balance" in either sport.

* They did not (as far as I can tell) do this in any other classification, and we don't have identical numbers per region in all the other classes.

* Even though there is a lot of crossover between coaches and athletes, cross country and track are completely separate sports. Do they move teams between regions for golf and wrestling for "balance"?

* It hasn't been long since we could have 5+ more schools in one region than another, and the NCHSAA never worried about it then. Why would they be fussing around now with the differences that are unavoidable when you use whole numbers?

I wondered if there was another school opening next year that would fall in the 3A Midwest, and they were moving now to level out the coming imbalance. But if that were the case, it seems like it would make a lot more sense to make the switch in the fall, when they new school was competing and when the new alignment would apply to the whole school year.
Has Cuthbertson moved in any of the other four-region sports, like tennis or wrestling?

This isn't meant as a criticism of Coach Spencer - just, I thought of the same thing, and if "balance" is really the reason it is the first time its ever been used by the NCHSAA and I've seen cases with MUCH larger imbalances between regions in the past and even today. I can't remember a region ever being changed in the middle of the school year for any reason.
03/02/2018 12:33:30 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Heyyy... It wasn't my decision & I'm not defending or criticizing it, just offering a possible reason why. I realize its a stretch but what other explanation could there be? After posting I realized what I posted was basically what you had previously said, making my statement redundant. I know you're not being critical of me personally though. If Cuthbertson weren't very competitive would we be having this conversation? ;) Kidding. It'll be tough across the state to get out of Regionals in 3A with 117 schools now and a good number of competitive 4A schools moving down. As I tell my kids, "Run fast," I guess.
Heyyy... It wasn't my decision & I'm not defending or criticizing it, just offering a possible reason why. I realize its a stretch but what other explanation could there be? After posting I realized what I posted was basically what you had previously said, making my statement redundant. I know you're not being critical of me personally though. If Cuthbertson weren't very competitive would we be having this conversation? ;) Kidding. It'll be tough across the state to get out of Regionals in 3A with 117 schools now and a good number of competitive 4A schools moving down. As I tell my kids, "Run fast," I guess.
03/02/2018 11:47:53 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Looking through the track region assignments the only similar case I noticed (likely missing another) is Leesville Road in the 4A Mideast for XC, 4A East for Track.
Looking through the track region assignments the only similar case I noticed (likely missing another) is Leesville Road in the 4A Mideast for XC, 4A East for Track.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.