State Meet Schedule changes
05/17/2017 2:23:07 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It looks like there are two changes from the way the state meet was run last year. - The prelims for hurdles and 100 are listed as before the 4x800. In the past the 4x800 has been the first running event of the day. - With the exception of the hurdles, it looks like they are running both girls and boys 1A races before the 3A races. In the past they ran both girls, then both boys in everything. Are these changes to the schedule posted on the meet page accurate?
It looks like there are two changes from the way the state meet was run last year.
* The prelims for hurdles and 100 are listed as before the 4x800. In the past the 4x800 has been the first running event of the day.

* With the exception of the hurdles, it looks like they are running both girls and boys 1A races before the 3A races. In the past they ran both girls, then both boys in everything.

Are these changes to the schedule posted on the meet page accurate?
05/17/2017 3:59:52 PM
User
The 3200 relay has been run at 11 am in the past. It is still at 11 am. In order to expedite the meet, it was thought that running the prelims first would get them out of the way preventing athletes in field events and prelims from having to run back and forth.
The 3200 relay has been run at 11 am in the past. It is still at 11 am. In order to expedite the meet, it was thought that running the prelims first would get them out of the way preventing athletes in field events and prelims from having to run back and forth.
05/17/2017 8:37:45 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
At some point, the prelims may have been first- hard for me to remember (though I don't recall it that way), but I'm positive last year, 4x800 was first. Confusing since up until yesterday or today, there was conflicting information about the schedule on the 3A MileSplit page. That schedule listed 4x800 going before prelims and also had the throws order backwards from the way it is on the NCHSAA site. ...a couple of other changes too. I would HIGHLY recommend looking at the NCHSAA page about the schedule for those of you (like me) who based your travel plans on the schedule listed on the MileSplit meet page. https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/1A%20%26%203A%202017%20T%26F%20State%20Meet%20Schedule.pdf
At some point, the prelims may have been first- hard for me to remember (though I don't recall it that way), but I'm positive last year, 4x800 was first.

Confusing since up until yesterday or today, there was conflicting information about the schedule on the 3A MileSplit page. That schedule listed 4x800 going before prelims and also had the throws order backwards from the way it is on the NCHSAA site. ...a couple of other changes too.

I would HIGHLY recommend looking at the NCHSAA page about the schedule for those of you (like me) who based your travel plans on the schedule listed on the MileSplit meet page.

https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/1A%20%26%203A%202017%20T%26F%20State%20Meet%20Schedule.pdf
05/18/2017 9:14:38 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Based on my calculations, I believe the 4x800 is still going to start around 11am. With doing the prelims beforehand, it should time up that way. The longest events at the meet are discus (mainly because there's only one area) and pole vault. I don't like the finals starting at 1pm. These athletes don't need 3 hours to wait for finals. They only run 110m max and it's not old days of having all the sprint prelims either. The extra rest is built into the super meet.
Based on my calculations, I believe the 4x800 is still going to start around 11am. With doing the prelims beforehand, it should time up that way. The longest events at the meet are discus (mainly because there's only one area) and pole vault. I don't like the finals starting at 1pm. These athletes don't need 3 hours to wait for finals. They only run 110m max and it's not old days of having all the sprint prelims either. The extra rest is built into the super meet.
05/18/2017 6:34:42 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=jknox]The 3200 relay has been run at 11 am in the past. It is still at 11 am. In order to expedite the meet, it was thought that running the prelims first would get them out of the way preventing athletes in field events and prelims from having to run back and forth.[/quote] @jknox I wasn't complaining, just trying to clarify for both 4x8 and hurdles athletes. As Coach Spencer noted, in every case I can remember the relay has come before the prelims. I favor the plan of starting running events at 10:00. But from the perspective of both distance runners and straightaway runners, I think it would've been better to just move the whole schedule forward by an hour. It's probably easier for a middle distance person than a sprinter to be fully warmed up for a 10:00am start. The distance kids also probably benefit from the extra hour break before individual events, while the sprinters might actually be better off if you kept the previous schedule of ~60 minutes between prelims and finals.
jknox wrote:

@jknox I wasn't complaining, just trying to clarify for both 4x8 and hurdles athletes. As Coach Spencer noted, in every case I can remember the relay has come before the prelims.
I favor the plan of starting running events at 10:00. But from the perspective of both distance runners and straightaway runners, I think it would've been better to just move the whole schedule forward by an hour. It's probably easier for a middle distance person than a sprinter to be fully warmed up for a 10:00am start. The distance kids also probably benefit from the extra hour break before individual events, while the sprinters might actually be better off if you kept the previous schedule of ~60 minutes between prelims and finals.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.