Regional Entries FOR ALL COACHES
04/27/2017 10:12:47 AM
Power User
Coaches I am sitting in the regional directors meeting and for you, here is the single MOST IMPORTANT REMINDER I can give you. ENTER YOUR BEST 3 ATHLETES IN EVERY EVENT EVEN IF THEY HAVEN'T MADE THE QUALIFYING STANDARD. Everyone please explain........
Coaches I am sitting in the regional directors meeting and for you, here is the single MOST IMPORTANT REMINDER I can give you.

ENTER YOUR BEST 3 ATHLETES IN EVERY EVENT EVEN IF THEY HAVEN'T MADE THE QUALIFYING STANDARD.

Everyone please explain........
04/27/2017 11:28:35 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=runnercoach64]Coaches I am sitting in the regional directors meeting and for you, here is the single MOST IMPORTANT REMINDER I can give you. ENTER YOUR BEST 3 ATHLETES IN EVERY EVENT EVEN IF THEY HAVEN'T MADE THE QUALIFYING STANDARD. Everyone please explain........[/quote] @runnercoach64 Translation: "If you enter your best three athletes, they MIGHT have the opportunity to compete in the regional meet. If you don't enter them, they most definitely will not be able to compete." This happened to me my first year at Dudley. I had a shot/discus young lady who had not met the standard. Being brand new to the system, I did not know they would allow the top 12 entries to compete if 12 did not meet the standard (She was #7 in the region!). Missed opportunity for her and a learning moment for the coach. EaZy
runnercoach64 wrote:
Coaches I am sitting in the regional directors meeting and for you, here is the single MOST IMPORTANT REMINDER I can give you.

ENTER YOUR BEST 3 ATHLETES IN EVERY EVENT EVEN IF THEY HAVEN'T MADE THE QUALIFYING STANDARD.

Everyone please explain........

@runnercoach64 Translation: "If you enter your best three athletes, they MIGHT have the opportunity to compete in the regional meet. If you don't enter them, they most definitely will not be able to compete."

This happened to me my first year at Dudley. I had a shot/discus young lady who had not met the standard. Being brand new to the system, I did not know they would allow the top 12 entries to compete if 12 did not meet the standard (She was #7 in the region!). Missed opportunity for her and a learning moment for the coach.

EaZy
04/27/2017 12:46:25 PM
User
The same goes for relay teams. We will take nonqualifiers to complete the field of 16. If you would like for your relay teams to have a chance to compete in regionals, enter them.
The same goes for relay teams. We will take nonqualifiers to complete the field of 16. If you would like for your relay teams to have a chance to compete in regionals, enter them.
04/27/2017 1:11:49 PM
Coach
It's a good practice to look at the rankings in your Region. If your athletes are top 16 or close to that top 16, enter them. Some athletes may qualify for an event but not be entered in it for various reasons. That opens the door for other athletes. Again, enter any athlete who's top 16 or close to that top 16, they may get in.
It's a good practice to look at the rankings in your Region. If your athletes are top 16 or close to that top 16, enter them. Some athletes may qualify for an event but not be entered in it for various reasons. That opens the door for other athletes. Again, enter any athlete who's top 16 or close to that top 16, they may get in.
04/27/2017 4:19:01 PM
Power User
@CDoug That is a good idea but personally I think just entering your best 3 - relays included, if they can compete is always a good idea. Looking at the rankings is a good starting point but more often than one would think, athletes cannot compete and spots are open.
@CDoug That is a good idea but personally I think just entering your best 3 - relays included, if they can compete is always a good idea. Looking at the rankings is a good starting point but more often than one would think, athletes cannot compete and spots are open.
04/28/2017 11:04:10 AM
Coach
On the counter, if you have an athlete that you KNOW is not going to compete in an event, don't enter them. There are few things worse in track than the scratch meeting at Regionals. Injuries are one thing, but putting a kid in with no intention of competing blocks another kid from making one of those last provisional qualifying spots. Seeing kids get marked out of events and then thinking back to kids on your team that sitting at home but were borderline and would have been the next one in is rough. Those are often the underclassmen looking to make it for the first time, and sometimes a Senior, who will be there knowing they aren't moving on to State but get to say they made the next round.
On the counter, if you have an athlete that you KNOW is not going to compete in an event, don't enter them. There are few things worse in track than the scratch meeting at Regionals. Injuries are one thing, but putting a kid in with no intention of competing blocks another kid from making one of those last provisional qualifying spots. Seeing kids get marked out of events and then thinking back to kids on your team that sitting at home but were borderline and would have been the next one in is rough. Those are often the underclassmen looking to make it for the first time, and sometimes a Senior, who will be there knowing they aren't moving on to State but get to say they made the next round.
05/05/2017 8:24:05 AM
Coach
@fletchthe2nd Yes, I second that. Coaches, please do not enter athletes who you know will not compete.
@fletchthe2nd
Yes, I second that. Coaches, please do not enter athletes who you know will not compete.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.