2017-18 Regional Assignments
02/16/2017 11:01:10 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There is no info on the NCHSAA page at this time about regional assignments for next year for cross country or outdoor track. However, there ARE regional assignments listed on the wrestling page. Wrestling competes in 4 regions, like cross country and track, and I'm pretty sure it has used the same conference-based assignments in the past. The assignment shown for next year does NOT use conferences at all, and it strictly based on longitude. (If you are interested, they even list the [url=https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-2018%20Wrestling%20Regional%20Assignments.pdf]teams within each region[/url] from East to West in order.) It looks like every region in every classification will have some conferences split at the boundaries. It's good they are equalizing teams in each region, and using geography to define the region, but going purely with longitude is a very clumsy way to do it and probably results in some unnecessary extra travel in some cases. But they've been doing that for years in setting up brackets in the playoff sports.
There is no info on the NCHSAA page at this time about regional assignments for next year for cross country or outdoor track.
However, there ARE regional assignments listed on the wrestling page. Wrestling competes in 4 regions, like cross country and track, and I'm pretty sure it has used the same conference-based assignments in the past.
The assignment shown for next year does NOT use conferences at all, and it strictly based on longitude. (If you are interested, they even list the teams within each region from East to West in order.) It looks like every region in every classification will have some conferences split at the boundaries. It's good they are equalizing teams in each region, and using geography to define the region, but going purely with longitude is a very clumsy way to do it and probably results in some unnecessary extra travel in some cases. But they've been doing that for years in setting up brackets in the playoff sports.
02/16/2017 11:22:39 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Break points between regions, from the chart on the wrestling page: 4A E-ME: between Leesville Rd (E) & Cardinal Gibbons (ME). All of Fayetteville/Lumberton area moves to Mideast. 4A ME-MW: Purnell Swett (ME) & Pinecrest (MW). Half of the Mideast is western Wake County. 4A MW/W: Butler (MW) & East Meck (W). This sends three Mecklenburg & one Union school SE of Charlotte to the Midwest, rather than schools on the north side of Charlotte that are actually closer to the Triad. 3A E/ME: West Johnston (E) & Triton (ME). 3A ME/MW: SE Guilford (ME) & Morehead (MW) 3A MW/W: Cuthbertson (MW) & Marvin Ridge (W). 2A E/ME: Bunn (E) & Clinton (ME). 2A ME/MW: Walkertown (ME) & Oak Grove (MW). 2A MW/W: Bunker Hill (MW) & Wilkes Central (W). 1A - they only have two regions so I don't think that is very applicable to track.
Break points between regions, from the chart on the wrestling page:
4A E-ME: between Leesville Rd (E) & Cardinal Gibbons (ME). All of Fayetteville/Lumberton area moves to Mideast.
4A ME-MW: Purnell Swett (ME) & Pinecrest (MW). Half of the Mideast is western Wake County.
4A MW/W: Butler (MW) & East Meck (W). This sends three Mecklenburg & one Union school SE of Charlotte to the Midwest, rather than schools on the north side of Charlotte that are actually closer to the Triad.

3A E/ME: West Johnston (E) & Triton (ME).
3A ME/MW: SE Guilford (ME) & Morehead (MW)
3A MW/W: Cuthbertson (MW) & Marvin Ridge (W).

2A E/ME: Bunn (E) & Clinton (ME).
2A ME/MW: Walkertown (ME) & Oak Grove (MW).
2A MW/W: Bunker Hill (MW) & Wilkes Central (W).

1A - they only have two regions so I don't think that is very applicable to track.
02/16/2017 11:29:05 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Looking at this further - I think the assignments must only include schools with wrestling teams. 4A has 76 schools and 3A has 113, which are pretty much the full number. But 2A has about 100 and 1A has about 50, which is significantly less. If they use longitude to break up regions, the ones shown for 3A and 4A should be very close to exactly right. (They match about what I figured out when I looked at it in the fall.) But the ones for 2A are just rough guides to the break points, because about a dozen schools are missing, and they may not be evenly distributed across the regions. And in the 1A, it seems like western schools are much more likely to have wrestling, so that east/west breakdown is not relevant to track at all.
Looking at this further - I think the assignments must only include schools with wrestling teams. 4A has 76 schools and 3A has 113, which are pretty much the full number. But 2A has about 100 and 1A has about 50, which is significantly less.
If they use longitude to break up regions, the ones shown for 3A and 4A should be very close to exactly right. (They match about what I figured out when I looked at it in the fall.) But the ones for 2A are just rough guides to the break points, because about a dozen schools are missing, and they may not be evenly distributed across the regions. And in the 1A, it seems like western schools are much more likely to have wrestling, so that east/west breakdown is not relevant to track at all.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.