No Scratches at State Meet
05/19/2016 1:40:38 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I just noticed no scratches at state meet....yikes this could interesting especially in the 3200. 25. There is NO Coaches’ Scratch Meeting for the outdoor State Meet. If an athlete fails to show up for an event, the athlete will be DISQUALIFIED FOR REMAINDER OF THE MEET. Event judges are to report any athletes who fail to report to the Meet Director. The athlete’s coach will be notified.
I just noticed no scratches at state meet....yikes this could interesting especially in the 3200.

25. There is NO Coaches' Scratch Meeting for the outdoor State Meet. If an athlete fails to show up for an event, the athlete will be DISQUALIFIED FOR REMAINDER OF THE MEET. Event judges are to report any athletes who fail to report to the Meet Director. The athlete's coach will be notified.
05/19/2016 1:44:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@popeka This is nothing new. Why would it in a problem in that particular event?
@popeka This is nothing new. Why would it in a problem in that particular event?
05/19/2016 1:45:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coach_eazy just noticed how many athletes are in multiple events that is all. Not complaining just an observation.
@coach_eazy just noticed how many athletes are in multiple events that is all. Not complaining just an observation.
05/19/2016 2:02:29 PM
Coach
@popeka So if an athlete has participated in an event prior to that athlete not showing up to compete at another event. Is that athlete striped of the event he/she did initially? So, essential all athletes have to check in for all their events and participate in them? 1) So, if athlete X shows up to run the 200m. Gets into the set position. Reacts to the gun by taking two steps forward and then walks off the track. Have they participated? 2) What about the same scenario but athlete X walks the 200m? Have they participated? 3) What about the same scenario but athlete X grabs their hip flexor, or quads, or biceps femoris and then limps off the track? Have they participated? In the Spirit of Sport
@popeka

So if an athlete has participated in an event prior to that athlete not showing up to compete at another event. Is that athlete striped of the event he/she did initially?
So, essential all athletes have to check in for all their events and participate in them?
1) So, if athlete X shows up to run the 200m. Gets into the set position. Reacts to the gun by taking two steps forward and then walks off the track. Have they participated?
2) What about the same scenario but athlete X walks the 200m? Have they participated?
3) What about the same scenario but athlete X grabs their hip flexor, or quads, or biceps femoris and then limps off the track? Have they participated?

In the Spirit of Sport
05/19/2016 2:11:15 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@StengthCoach All of those will count as participating. If the athlete did not check in and make an attempt to participate, then he/she would not be eligible to compete in any future events in that meet. It would not impact any events they previously competed in.
@StengthCoach
All of those will count as participating. If the athlete did not check in and make an attempt to participate, then he/she would not be eligible to compete in any future events in that meet. It would not impact any events they previously competed in.
05/19/2016 6:22:01 PM
Coach
I'm not a fan of this rule. The reason being, I had a kid a few years ago who didn't make it to the regional meet on time because of car trouble. He was disqualified from the 400 because he didn't make it in time to check in and was almost disqualified from the 4x400. We protested to the games committee and he was allowed to participate in the 4x400. What purpose does this rule serve if an athlete can just go to the line and take a few steps and walk off? Many say that this rule ensures full heats, but it's really not a full heat if an athlete or several athletes just go to the start line and just walks off after the gun. The same goes for an athlete in a field event. What purpose does the rule serve if an athlete can just get on the runway and run through the board one time and take a scratch and be done with that event? Some say this rule helps coaches not to put athletes in events that they know will not run. Again, this rule doesn't stop coaches from doing that because if an athlete is in the 1600, 800, and 3200, all they have to do is pick which event they want to run and just show up at the finish and walk off in the events that they don't want to run. Therefore the rule is ineffective. From what I have seen this rule only hurts athletes who have a really good reason for missing an event.
I'm not a fan of this rule. The reason being, I had a kid a few years ago who didn't make it to the regional meet on time because of car trouble. He was disqualified from the 400 because he didn't make it in time to check in and was almost disqualified from the 4x400. We protested to the games committee and he was allowed to participate in the 4x400.

What purpose does this rule serve if an athlete can just go to the line and take a few steps and walk off? Many say that this rule ensures full heats, but it's really not a full heat if an athlete or several athletes just go to the start line and just walks off after the gun. The same goes for an athlete in a field event. What purpose does the rule serve if an athlete can just get on the runway and run through the board one time and take a scratch and be done with that event? Some say this rule helps coaches not to put athletes in events that they know will not run. Again, this rule doesn't stop coaches from doing that because if an athlete is in the 1600, 800, and 3200, all they have to do is pick which event they want to run and just show up at the finish and walk off in the events that they don't want to run. Therefore the rule is ineffective.

From what I have seen this rule only hurts athletes who have a really good reason for missing an event.
05/20/2016 1:17:26 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coach_eazy In the 3200 it will be interesting to see how many of those doing multiple events show up to that particular event, since they most likely will not have another event after..... again not complaining just an observation.
@coach_eazy In the 3200 it will be interesting to see how many of those doing multiple events show up to that particular event, since they most likely will not have another event after..... again not complaining just an observation.
05/25/2016 1:37:30 PM
Coach
I am not in favor of the rule. We have a scratch procedure for the indoor meet and we do also in swimming. I would like to see the swimming procedure adopted for track. That is at the regional meet you have x amount of time to declare you are not going to participate in a event at the State Meet. This allows the next athlete the option to go. We as a team decided to go after the team title in the regional meet. It would have been great if we could have opted out of an event at the State Meet. If the NCHSAA thinks it is ok in swimming, why not track. It allows the athletes some flexibility.
I am not in favor of the rule.
We have a scratch procedure for the indoor meet and we do also in swimming.
I would like to see the swimming procedure adopted for track.
That is at the regional meet you have x amount of time to declare you are not going to participate in a event at the State Meet. This allows the next athlete the option to go.
We as a team decided to go after the team title in the regional meet.
It would have been great if we could have opted out of an event at the State Meet.
If the NCHSAA thinks it is ok in swimming, why not track.
It allows the athletes some flexibility.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.