NCHSAA 4A West Regional 2015 - Late Entries into Regionals
04/29/2015 9:03:41 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We should revisit allowing late entries into the Regional meet. To allow a coach the opportunity to see the entries and then decide which events their athletes can be in is unacceptable. For example, moving kids out of relays and into open events because they have a better chance to make it to the state meet in the open event. If you cannot meet the deadline for a major competition then too bad. If you want to make it painful for missing the deadline then make the late fee $500 not $50.
We should revisit allowing late entries into the Regional meet. To allow a coach the opportunity to see the entries and then decide which events their athletes can be in is unacceptable. For example, moving kids out of relays and into open events because they have a better chance to make it to the state meet in the open event. If you cannot meet the deadline for a major competition then too bad. If you want to make it painful for missing the deadline then make the late fee $500 not $50.
04/29/2015 9:43:12 AM
Coach
@tonyjdai I agree with most of what you said. But I believe its $50 dollars per a late entry. Which from my experience many times adds up to $500 per a team or more. Late entries in general should not be allowed. The deadline is very clear and has been posted the entire season. If a coach does not know about the deadline then they are not doing their job.
@tonyjdai

I agree with most of what you said. But I believe its $50 dollars per a late entry. Which from my experience many times adds up to $500 per a team or more.

Late entries in general should not be allowed. The deadline is very clear and has been posted the entire season. If a coach does not know about the deadline then they are not doing their job.
04/29/2015 9:51:00 AM
User
@tonyjdai Did this situation happen or is it hypothetical? Either way, I don't think it matters much.
@tonyjdai
Did this situation happen or is it hypothetical? Either way, I don't think it matters much.
04/29/2015 11:26:53 AM
Coach
That is $50 per entry. We had a situation in our regional last year where a team didn't compete because their coach forgot to enter by the deadline. When they found out it would cost several hundred dollars to enter late their AD decided not to allow them to participate. Terrible for the kids, but I do agree that it is the coach's responsibility to know and follow deadlines.
That is $50 per entry. We had a situation in our regional last year where a team didn't compete because their coach forgot to enter by the deadline. When they found out it would cost several hundred dollars to enter late their AD decided not to allow them to participate. Terrible for the kids, but I do agree that it is the coach's responsibility to know and follow deadlines.
04/29/2015 12:27:16 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@tonyjdai Coaches can already do this, even while meeting the entry deadline. They enter the kid in the open event and they enter the relay, and then they can decide who to actually run on the relay later (you can switch someone onto a relay team that wasn't originally entered, and you can scratch from an individual event). So why would having late entries change anything, when coaches can still do the same thing even when they enter on time? The late entry period is there to save the athletes' opportunity to compete when the coach screws up, and I think that's an admirable goal.
@tonyjdai Coaches can already do this, even while meeting the entry deadline. They enter the kid in the open event and they enter the relay, and then they can decide who to actually run on the relay later (you can switch someone onto a relay team that wasn't originally entered, and you can scratch from an individual event). So why would having late entries change anything, when coaches can still do the same thing even when they enter on time? The late entry period is there to save the athletes' opportunity to compete when the coach screws up, and I think that's an admirable goal.
04/29/2015 12:45:05 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@tonyjdai There were 4 late entries into the 4A West regional. One was an athlete who had a mark in the system that was incorrect. A meet director never corrected results after the meet was added to the milesplit system. Another was a coach who ran a meet on Saturday and the mark did not make it in the system in time to be updated. The other 2 were coaches who forgot to enter kids in events and paid the late fee. All were approved by the NCHSAA. None of these additions were top athletes in their events. In these cases it was not a coach seeking an advantage. Coaches make mistakes, the late entry process does offer an opportunity for a coaches error to be corrected.
@tonyjdai
There were 4 late entries into the 4A West regional. One was an athlete who had a mark in the system that was incorrect. A meet director never corrected results after the meet was added to the milesplit system. Another was a coach who ran a meet on Saturday and the mark did not make it in the system in time to be updated. The other 2 were coaches who forgot to enter kids in events and paid the late fee. All were approved by the NCHSAA. None of these additions were top athletes in their events. In these cases it was not a coach seeking an advantage. Coaches make mistakes, the late entry process does offer an opportunity for a coaches error to be corrected.
04/29/2015 1:57:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachGeorgeRJR First, I erroneously thought it was $50 for the entire team not per person per event. I feel slightly better about that. This always boils down to one thing - coaches are responsible for getting their entries in by the deadline. Leaving kids out of the meet - fault of the coach. We have all done that. But you cannot honestly convince anyone that you forgot one of your top athletes? Not likely. The default, feel good response is that it is for the good of the kids. However, there should be consequences greaand lessons learned by the athletes, coaches, parents and AD's. I know I will get some responses that I am being harsh and in the end it is about the kids. If that were the case then the NCHSAA wouldn't charge $50. I am sure the regional host does not get a penny of that money and they made the changes. Get your entries in on time. No problem. Handle your errors from meets you ran at before the deadline. No problem. I can guarantee that if coaches and AD's had to explain to their athletes and parents that they were not running at Regional's there would be serious consequences for the school and the athletic staff.
@CoachGeorgeRJR

First, I erroneously thought it was $50 for the entire team not per person per event. I feel slightly better about that. This always boils down to one thing - coaches are responsible for getting their entries in by the deadline. Leaving kids out of the meet - fault of the coach. We have all done that. But you cannot honestly convince anyone that you forgot one of your top athletes? Not likely.

The default, feel good response is that it is for the good of the kids. However, there should be consequences greaand lessons learned by the athletes, coaches, parents and AD's. I know I will get some responses that I am being harsh and in the end it is about the kids. If that were the case then the NCHSAA wouldn't charge $50. I am sure the regional host does not get a penny of that money and they made the changes.

Get your entries in on time. No problem. Handle your errors from meets you ran at before the deadline. No problem. I can guarantee that if coaches and AD's had to explain to their athletes and parents that they were not running at Regional's there would be serious consequences for the school and the athletic staff.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.