3rd Annual Unofficial Charlotte Area Winter Championships 2015
01/31/2015 10:21:10 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
First of all, let me say, I'm a huge fan of MileSplit & have been since it came online in NC almost a decade ago. Before that, I remember cobbling together spreadsheets of the top 20 in each event from our Region, drawing from ncpreptrack.com, coaches emails, and newspaper blurbs. I'd email the list out to coaches & many were amazed at this fantastic tool put before them. I sure am glad MileSplit made that a thing of the past. Sure was tedious. I can only imagine coaching in the days before the internet & how difficult it must have been to have a sense of what was going on in the state. I'm also a huge fan of Jeff George. Anyway, this is not a slight on Webmaster George or MileSplit on the least. This was a very busy weekend for track in NC with some high profile meets. Often times, Jeff gets complaints that he hasn't posted results when the meet director hasn't sent them to him. I've received several emails from other schools' parents & assistant coaches this evening wondering where results are from our meet today. I emailed them to coaches before most left the parking lot- 5 minutes after the meet was over & emailed them to Jeff/MileSplit at the same time- 1:45 PM. Again, now slight at all to Jeff. He's a busy dude on a busy weekend and does an incredible job on this site. [b]In no way do I want to suggest www.athletic.net is on par with MileSplit, but results have been posted there in case people have to see them tonight & their coach didn't email them out: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/MeetResults.aspx?Meet=232638#20151 [/b] Some good performances today with a good field. I really like this meet because it's small. We had 23 teams represented, but because you have to qualify, the field is small. The meet took 2 hours & 40 minutes on a day that started cold but ended up pretty nice. I'm sure Jeff will upload our results as soon as this is posted, making it moot, but thought I'd get it out there.
First of all, let me say, I'm a huge fan of MileSplit & have been since it came online in NC almost a decade ago. Before that, I remember cobbling together spreadsheets of the top 20 in each event from our Region, drawing from ncpreptrack.com, coaches emails, and newspaper blurbs. I'd email the list out to coaches & many were amazed at this fantastic tool put before them. I sure am glad MileSplit made that a thing of the past. Sure was tedious. I can only imagine coaching in the days before the internet & how difficult it must have been to have a sense of what was going on in the state. I'm also a huge fan of Jeff George. Anyway, this is not a slight on Webmaster George or MileSplit on the least.

This was a very busy weekend for track in NC with some high profile meets. Often times, Jeff gets complaints that he hasn't posted results when the meet director hasn't sent them to him. I've received several emails from other schools' parents & assistant coaches this evening wondering where results are from our meet today. I emailed them to coaches before most left the parking lot- 5 minutes after the meet was over & emailed them to Jeff/MileSplit at the same time- 1:45 PM. Again, now slight at all to Jeff. He's a busy dude on a busy weekend and does an incredible job on this site. In no way do I want to suggest www.athletic.net is on par with MileSplit, but results have been posted there in case people have to see them tonight & their coach didn't email them out:

http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/MeetResults.aspx?Meet=232638#20151

Some good performances today with a good field. I really like this meet because it's small. We had 23 teams represented, but because you have to qualify, the field is small. The meet took 2 hours & 40 minutes on a day that started cold but ended up pretty nice.

I'm sure Jeff will upload our results as soon as this is posted, making it moot, but thought I'd get it out there.
02/01/2015 6:41:10 AM
Coach
@CoachSpencer Coach Spencer, I usually don't email our results to Coach George. I add them on the meet page by copying and pasting. This seems to be the fastest way to get the results to show up. I think all Jeff has to do is verify the pasted results.
@CoachSpencer

Coach Spencer, I usually don't email our results to Coach George. I add them on the meet page by copying and pasting. This seems to be the fastest way to get the results to show up. I think all Jeff has to do is verify the pasted results.
02/01/2015 9:05:45 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachSpencer No offense taken - it's a valid criticism. Coach Douglas is right, though - if you're an approved coach of the host school, you can post the results directly to the meet page yourself. For major invitationals, though, we SHOULD get them up much more quickly than happened in this case, and it was absolutely an oversight on my part - I simply forgot to put them up before I left the house again last night. I was running late, but it would have taken me all of 1 minute to post, so there's no excuse. I'll do better in the future.
@CoachSpencer No offense taken - it's a valid criticism. Coach Douglas is right, though - if you're an approved coach of the host school, you can post the results directly to the meet page yourself. For major invitationals, though, we SHOULD get them up much more quickly than happened in this case, and it was absolutely an oversight on my part - I simply forgot to put them up before I left the house again last night. I was running late, but it would have taken me all of 1 minute to post, so there's no excuse. I'll do better in the future.
02/01/2015 10:13:11 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachGeorgeRJR What??? I had no idea that feature existed. I certainly would have used it all these years had I known. Sheesh. Jeff, not a criticism AT ALL. More of a defense of you than anything.
@CoachGeorgeRJR
What??? I had no idea that feature existed. I certainly would have used it all these years had I known. Sheesh.

Jeff, not a criticism AT ALL. More of a defense of you than anything.
02/01/2015 10:24:12 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachSpencer Thanks for that! I know you didn't mean it as a criticism, but I still should have had them up last night.
@CoachSpencer Thanks for that! I know you didn't mean it as a criticism, but I still should have had them up last night.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.