JDL Fast Track High School Kick-Off 2013
12/05/2013 9:35:49 PM
Coach
Need help. I do not see where you can enter our athlete for this meet. It do show our school as attending (Hillside) but I can't enter my athlete in their events. Thanks!
Need help. I do not see where you can enter our athlete for this meet. It do show our school as attending (Hillside) but I can't enter my athlete in their events. Thanks!
12/05/2013 10:07:02 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@rclodfelter Entries are through Direct Athletics for all JDL invitationals. If you look on the meet page, there is a link to the meet information on the JDL website, and there are more details there.
@rclodfelter Entries are through Direct Athletics for all JDL invitationals. If you look on the meet page, there is a link to the meet information on the JDL website, and there are more details there.
12/06/2013 7:42:52 AM
Coach
Thanks Coach!
Thanks Coach!
12/06/2013 12:16:50 PM
User
If you run unattached because your team is not going do the times count to qualify for states?
If you run unattached because your team is not going do the times count to qualify for states?
12/06/2013 1:57:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ptgillespie No. In order for your times to count towards qualification you must be running for your school, not unattached.
@ptgillespie No. In order for your times to count towards qualification you must be running for your school, not unattached.
12/10/2013 7:51:13 AM
Coach
Entries http://www.directathletics.com/view_public_entries.html?sport=track&meet_hnd=31237
Entries
http://www.directathletics.com/view_public_entries.html?sport=track&meet_hnd=31237
12/10/2013 10:14:52 PM
User
After my inspection of the entries, I found a few questionable things. 1. I thought this meet was open to High Schools or unattached athletes. Is Platinum Academy (Sports) a High School? 2. North Rowan girl 55-6.2 must be a mistake 3. Vance High School has 3 quys listed in the top 6 in the 300. 4. Vance High School girls in the 500, three at 1:20 or below and another at 1:22 5. Seventy-First girl 1:50 in the 1000 and Cary girl 2:15. Coaches be careful when entering times. 6. Vance High School has two guys at 2:40 or better in the 1000. 7. Ledford 7.3 55 hurdles 8. North Rowan boys in the 55 hurdles 6.0 & 6.9 9. Seventy First 1:33 4x400 10. Vance boy pole vaulter 9.0m 11. Dudley and N. Brunswick girls shot putters 29.5m & 28m
After my inspection of the entries, I found a few questionable things.

1. I thought this meet was open to High Schools or unattached athletes. Is Platinum Academy (Sports) a High School?
2. North Rowan girl 55-6.2 must be a mistake
3. Vance High School has 3 quys listed in the top 6 in the 300.
4. Vance High School girls in the 500, three at 1:20 or below and another at 1:22
5. Seventy-First girl 1:50 in the 1000 and Cary girl 2:15. Coaches be careful when entering times.
6. Vance High School has two guys at 2:40 or better in the 1000.
7. Ledford 7.3 55 hurdles
8. North Rowan boys in the 55 hurdles 6.0 & 6.9
9. Seventy First 1:33 4x400
10. Vance boy pole vaulter 9.0m
11. Dudley and N. Brunswick girls shot putters 29.5m & 28m
12/10/2013 10:31:43 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@inspector A man after my own heart! Platinum Sports is a club team composed of high school (and younger) athletes. Club teams are also allowed to enter the meet.
@inspector A man after my own heart! Platinum Sports is a club team composed of high school (and younger) athletes. Club teams are also allowed to enter the meet.
12/11/2013 7:06:18 AM
User
Actually we shut off club teams, but the unattached people can put an "affiliation." I wish they couldn't as it sometimes gets confusing and folks from the same club put down similar but different club names. The reason we turned off clubs is because unattached and clubs were the most likely to register and not show up. It was an easy fix for individuals to force them to pay online. There is no way to force clubs to pay online without forcing all teams to do so. If a HS habitually registers and doesn't show up I can easily lock them out of invitationals. Harder to do with clubs.
Actually we shut off club teams, but the unattached people can put an "affiliation." I wish they couldn't as it sometimes gets confusing and folks from the same club put down similar but different club names.

The reason we turned off clubs is because unattached and clubs were the most likely to register and not show up. It was an easy fix for individuals to force them to pay online. There is no way to force clubs to pay online without forcing all teams to do so. If a HS habitually registers and doesn't show up I can easily lock them out of invitationals. Harder to do with clubs.
12/11/2013 9:44:13 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@inspector Some of what you note are simple mistakes (29m should be 29ft) and others are gross estimates of desired times. I can understand the estimates (sorta, but barely) as sometimes you have a decent runner you want to be pushed and don't want to enter them with NT (which automatically puts them in a very slow heat). This is, however, a tiring concern as some coaches habitually place their athletes in situations that are embarassing to them due to their lack of performance. Please note: we know who you are and will adjust accordingly in the future.
@inspector Some of what you note are simple mistakes (29m should be 29ft) and others are gross estimates of desired times. I can understand the estimates (sorta, but barely) as sometimes you have a decent runner you want to be pushed and don't want to enter them with NT (which automatically puts them in a very slow heat). This is, however, a tiring concern as some coaches habitually place their athletes in situations that are embarassing to them due to their lack of performance. Please note: we know who you are and will adjust accordingly in the future.
12/11/2013 8:05:58 PM
Coach
@clonghurst At the Taco Bell track meet in Columbia, SC, we have made teams pay online for 3 years now. The first year there were lots of complaints and excuses. The 2nd year not as many issues and none last year, they all found a way to pay online. Hours are saved on the meet management end using the online pay. DirectAthletics is quick to get a check out to the meet director. @coach_eazy Glad to see others are changing entries. I know the NSAF does. I have done it since the advent of online stats (NCrunners). I have changed marks and moved athletes within heats and sections. Sometimes I feel that coaches send in bogus marks just to see if they will get changed. And of course you always get the I knew they would lie so I had to also. It is really a shame, I wonder if swim meets have as many issues with entries.
@clonghurst
At the Taco Bell track meet in Columbia, SC, we have made teams pay online for 3 years now. The first year there were lots of complaints and excuses. The 2nd year not as many issues and none last year, they all found a way to pay online. Hours are saved on the meet management end using the online pay. DirectAthletics is quick to get a check out to the meet director.

@coach_eazy
Glad to see others are changing entries. I know the NSAF does. I have done it since the advent of online stats (NCrunners). I have changed marks and moved athletes within heats and sections. Sometimes I feel that coaches send in bogus marks just to see if they will get changed. And of course you always get the I knew they would lie so I had to also. It is really a shame, I wonder if swim meets have as many issues with entries.
12/12/2013 9:44:05 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=Elgin]@clonghurst At the Taco Bell track meet in Columbia, SC, we have made teams pay online for 3 years now. The first year there were lots of complaints and excuses. The 2nd year not as many issues and none last year, they all found a way to pay online. Hours are saved on the meet management end using the online pay. DirectAthletics is quick to get a check out to the meet director. @coach_eazy Glad to see others are changing entries. I know the NSAF does. I have done it since the advent of online stats (NCrunners). I have changed marks and moved athletes within heats and sections. Sometimes I feel that coaches send in bogus marks just to see if they will get changed. And of course you always get the I knew they would lie so I had to also. It is really a shame, I wonder if swim meets have as many issues with entries.[/quote] @Elgin Funny you should ask about swimming: my son swims for his high school. For small meets (2-3 teams) it usually doesn't matter as some teams in this county are small and most times the pool is not full for heats. But at larger meets, sometimes it's painfully obvious that entry times were hopeful at best. I often volunteer to time and I'm dumbfounded when you have a kid get lapped in the 100yd free (yes, free -- please don't ask about the breaststroke) in the fast heat and a kid actully place in the top eight in the third fastest heat. I guess it doesn't bother me as much now that I'm not actually coaching anymore. But it sure makes for some awkward moments as an announcer.
Elgin wrote:
@clonghurst
At the Taco Bell track meet in Columbia, SC, we have made teams pay online for 3 years now. The first year there were lots of complaints and excuses. The 2nd year not as many issues and none last year, they all found a way to pay online. Hours are saved on the meet management end using the online pay. DirectAthletics is quick to get a check out to the meet director.

@coach_eazy
Glad to see others are changing entries. I know the NSAF does. I have done it since the advent of online stats (NCrunners). I have changed marks and moved athletes within heats and sections. Sometimes I feel that coaches send in bogus marks just to see if they will get changed. And of course you always get the I knew they would lie so I had to also. It is really a shame, I wonder if swim meets have as many issues with entries.

@Elgin Funny you should ask about swimming: my son swims for his high school. For small meets (2-3 teams) it usually doesn't matter as some teams in this county are small and most times the pool is not full for heats. But at larger meets, sometimes it's painfully obvious that entry times were hopeful at best. I often volunteer to time and I'm dumbfounded when you have a kid get lapped in the 100yd free (yes, free -- please don't ask about the breaststroke) in the fast heat and a kid actully place in the top eight in the third fastest heat. I guess it doesn't bother me as much now that I'm not actually coaching anymore. But it sure makes for some awkward moments as an announcer.
12/12/2013 2:26:42 PM
Coach
Where can the performance list be viewed?
Where can the performance list be viewed?
12/12/2013 4:44:41 PM
User
It is on the JDL Fast Track website on the Schedule page.
It is on the JDL Fast Track website on the Schedule page.
12/13/2013 6:18:51 PM
User
Could you change Parker Lee in the mile, his PR is 4:24 and the 4:45 is an error.
Could you change Parker Lee in the mile, his PR is 4:24 and the 4:45 is an error.
12/13/2013 7:26:51 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@parkersgr8 Athletes should not be seeded by their PR at this point in the year. Ethical coaches seed athletes according to what they are capable of running right now.
@parkersgr8 Athletes should not be seeded by their PR at this point in the year. Ethical coaches seed athletes according to what they are capable of running right now.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.