Article Comment: Boys All-Classes Rankings
04/30/2013 11:21:30 PM
Coach
where is Trent Friday for the 100, 200, and 400 rankings?
where is Trent Friday for the 100, 200, and 400 rankings?
05/01/2013 12:41:42 AM
User
@LNCXCcoachZ At the top, it states that hand times are not included for 400m on down, so if he has no automatic times, that may be why he isn't in these rankings.
@LNCXCcoachZ At the top, it states that hand times are not included for 400m on down, so if he has no automatic times, that may be why he isn't in these rankings.
05/01/2013 6:30:18 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@LNCXCcoachZ She is exactly right. I have gradually excluded hand times from the rankings, now reaching up to the 400. FAT is the standard for our sport now, internationally and across all levels from youth to professional. While I understand some schools have limited resources, it seems like a school could manage to attend one invitational with FAT during outdoor season. It's a shame that a legitimate star like Trent doesn't have an FAT time, but at the same time I will wager that his FAT time in the 100 from the state meet is at least 2 tenths slower than his best hand time. Hand times are simply unreliable, even when looking at an athlete as talented as he is.
@LNCXCcoachZ She is exactly right. I have gradually excluded hand times from the rankings, now reaching up to the 400. FAT is the standard for our sport now, internationally and across all levels from youth to professional. While I understand some schools have limited resources, it seems like a school could manage to attend one invitational with FAT during outdoor season. It's a shame that a legitimate star like Trent doesn't have an FAT time, but at the same time I will wager that his FAT time in the 100 from the state meet is at least 2 tenths slower than his best hand time. Hand times are simply unreliable, even when looking at an athlete as talented as he is.
05/01/2013 1:04:30 PM
Coach
I believe that you should not keep a kid off this list if his hand times have been as consistant as Trents have been. There have been many different people to have hand timed Trent this year, all of them can't have been wrong. Just my opinion.
I believe that you should not keep a kid off this list if his hand times have been as consistant as Trents have been. There have been many different people to have hand timed Trent this year, all of them can't have been wrong. Just my opinion.
05/01/2013 1:38:30 PM
Coach
@bcoach73 I don't think Coach George is saying that the hand time is wrong. I have a guy who consistently runs 10.5 hand timed by different people, but when he runs on FAT he runs high 10.8s or 11 flats. Trent has consistent hand times but when he runs on FAT his times will be 10.7ish. Therefore he should be left off of this list until we have a FAT time for him.
@bcoach73
I don't think Coach George is saying that the hand time is wrong. I have a guy who consistently runs 10.5 hand timed by different people, but when he runs on FAT he runs high 10.8s or 11 flats. Trent has consistent hand times but when he runs on FAT his times will be 10.7ish. Therefore he should be left off of this list until we have a FAT time for him.
05/01/2013 3:24:33 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@bcoach73 Again, FAT is the standard for our sport. Hand times are not accurate, even if they are consistent. There are several states in the MileSplit network that do not put hand times into the database at all. Our state accepts hand times for regional entry, and so they are in the database. You can view the hand times alongside FAT in the rankings if you are a subscriber. But they are not acceptable for true rankings, and so I will not include them in those that I publish.
@bcoach73 Again, FAT is the standard for our sport. Hand times are not accurate, even if they are consistent. There are several states in the MileSplit network that do not put hand times into the database at all. Our state accepts hand times for regional entry, and so they are in the database. You can view the hand times alongside FAT in the rankings if you are a subscriber. But they are not acceptable for true rankings, and so I will not include them in those that I publish.
05/02/2013 1:16:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Also, you run into the very gray area of how many hand times do you need to create "consistancy?" That is open to human judgment, which is fallible and beyond concensus.
Also, you run into the very gray area of how many hand times do you need to create "consistancy?" That is open to human judgment, which is fallible and beyond concensus.
05/02/2013 3:03:22 PM
Coach
Consistant hand times itself is inconsistant. How can multiple people at different track have the exact same time and reaction? That is nearly impossible. I love these rankings, so keep doing them how you guys are doing them. People just need to take them for informational purposes.
Consistant hand times itself is inconsistant. How can multiple people at different track have the exact same time and reaction? That is nearly impossible. I love these rankings, so keep doing them how you guys are doing them. People just need to take them for informational purposes.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.