High School Kick-off Registration now open
11/19/2012 2:23:40 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Registration for the first HS indoor meet of the season at JDL Fast Track is now open. This is the meet to be held on December 8. This meet will accept unattached athletes, but they must register as unattached and not as a club. Also, due to the number of unattached athletes who failed to show last year, we are requiring unattached athletes to pay online via Direct Athletics. Registration will be handled on a first come, first served basis, so I strongly recommend entering early, as I do anticipate a number of events closing before registration is over. In fact, we've already had over 200 entries, including 28 out of a possible 75 entries in the girls 300m dash.
Registration for the first HS indoor meet of the season at JDL Fast Track is now open. This is the meet to be held on December 8. This meet will accept unattached athletes, but they must register as unattached and not as a club. Also, due to the number of unattached athletes who failed to show last year, we are requiring unattached athletes to pay online via Direct Athletics.

Registration will be handled on a first come, first served basis, so I strongly recommend entering early, as I do anticipate a number of events closing before registration is over. In fact, we've already had over 200 entries, including 28 out of a possible 75 entries in the girls 300m dash.
11/21/2012 8:18:12 PM
Coach
Click on this link to see the entries so far [url=http://www.directathletics.com/view_public_entries.html?sport=track&meet_hnd=26621]JDL High School Kick Off Entries...[/url]
Click on this link to see the entries so far

JDL High School Kick Off Entries...
11/25/2012 10:29:24 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Here we go......somebody entered in boys 110 high hurdles @ 6.44 seconds; girl entered in HJ @ 3.0 meters.....about 9 feet for everyone to know......Wow....SSDY!!!!:-(:-S
Here we go......somebody entered in boys 110 high hurdles @ 6.44 seconds; girl entered in HJ @ 3.0 meters.....about 9 feet for everyone to know......Wow....SSDY!!!!
11/26/2012 4:48:52 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I saw those, too. I have emailed some of the coaches and asked them to please revise their entry marks. I figure having those marks published before the meet may cut down on coaches putting outlandish marks when they register.
I saw those, too. I have emailed some of the coaches and asked them to please revise their entry marks. I figure having those marks published before the meet may cut down on coaches putting outlandish marks when they register.
11/27/2012 12:58:53 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I understand why coaches would fudge marks, but when coaches go well over marks, I feel like one of two things should take place 1) the athletes should not be accepted, which I hate to see due to the careless error of the coach or 2) the coaches should be fine or charged the event fee since they are preventing an other athlete the opportunity to compete. How stupid do coaches think others are, 2:15 in the girls 1000, The Women's world record is 2:28.96 by Svetlana Masterkova from Russia. The Men's world record in the High Jump is 2.45 meters or (8-00.50),and we have a girl high jumper -- jumping 9ft 10 inches I'm impressed the state has these great athletes! @CLonghurst I would hope you were correct -- goes to show you that coaches really don't care how poor they look. My big question to coaches is -- If you want to help your athletes continue competing at the next level, what College coach would take your word on an athlete when you cant be honest in submitting entries?
I understand why coaches would fudge marks, but when coaches go well over marks, I feel like one of two things should take place 1) the athletes should not be accepted, which I hate to see due to the careless error of the coach or 2) the coaches should be fine or charged the event fee since they are preventing an other athlete the opportunity to compete. How stupid do coaches think others are, 2:15 in the girls 1000, The Women's world record is 2:28.96 by Svetlana Masterkova from Russia. The Men's world record in the High Jump is 2.45 meters or (8-00.50),and we have a girl high jumper -- jumping 9ft 10 inches I'm impressed the state has these great athletes! @CLonghurst I would hope you were correct -- goes to show you that coaches really don't care how poor they look. My big question to coaches is -- If you want to help your athletes continue competing at the next level, what College coach would take your word on an athlete when you cant be honest in submitting entries?
11/27/2012 7:18:16 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@catamount01 I think you're missing the true cause of those ridiculous marks. It's not dishonesty, it is incompetence. Simply put, the coaches in question [i]don't know how wrong they are[/i]. No coach would put in 3 meters for a girls' high jumper just to bump her up or meet a qualifying standard; that is simply a case of not knowing what you're doing. I suppose it is possible that there was a mistype, but I suspect some of them didn't even realize they were entering metric marks in the first place.
@catamount01 I think you're missing the true cause of those ridiculous marks. It's not dishonesty, it is incompetence. Simply put, the coaches in question don't know how wrong they are. No coach would put in 3 meters for a girls' high jumper just to bump her up or meet a qualifying standard; that is simply a case of not knowing what you're doing. I suppose it is possible that there was a mistype, but I suspect some of them didn't even realize they were entering metric marks in the first place.
11/30/2012 11:46:41 AM
Coach
Some of the events are full now.
Some of the events are full now.
11/30/2012 12:12:25 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Coach George........exactly!!!!
@Coach George........exactly!!!!
11/30/2012 11:17:54 PM
Coach
@clonghurst If unattached athletes do not pay after the entry deadline, will they be removed and those spots become available to team athletes that were not able to enter because an event was full?
@clonghurst
If unattached athletes do not pay after the entry deadline, will they be removed and those spots become available to team athletes that were not able to enter because an event was full?
12/02/2012 7:41:30 AM
User
And for those parents who haven't been to the JDL before - it's cold inside the building in the initial hours, with cold metal bleachers. Just a suggestion to bring a blanket or stadium seat pad to sit on and dress warmly.
And for those parents who haven't been to the JDL before - it's cold inside the building in the initial hours, with cold metal bleachers. Just a suggestion to bring a blanket or stadium seat pad to sit on and dress warmly.
12/03/2012 9:46:26 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
We have increased the entry limits in the following events: 55m, 55m Hurdles, 300, 500 and Shot Put. Any other events that fill up will NOT be expanded. Also, we keep the temperature in the building between 64-66 degrees and it should be at that level or very close when the doors open at 8 am.
We have increased the entry limits in the following events: 55m, 55m Hurdles, 300, 500 and Shot Put. Any other events that fill up will NOT be expanded.

Also, we keep the temperature in the building between 64-66 degrees and it should be at that level or very close when the doors open at 8 am.
12/03/2012 1:11:37 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Do coaches really think their runners will be able to run 2-3 seconds faster than their PRs (in short sprints) in the 1st meet of the new season? Especially when their seeded time is better than the time that won the NC state championship the previous year? Using Fast times for better seeding is a great idea (within reason), but are coaches considering the embarrassment their runner could possibly face by being a highly seeded in a heats where they are most likely going to be outclassed by others with reasonably seeded times? Who would want to go to an HS event where all or most of the registered times where world class or world record times? I say guilty parties should have their athletes placed in the lowest seeded position for the next meet at the facility and the coach/person who registered them should face additional fees the next time the register for a meet at the facility. JDL is an awesome facility that usually puts on awesome events! Athletes make the events great, but incompetent or dishonest coaches can quickly turn a great opportunity into a waste of time for their and other athletes. Let's get it together people!
Do coaches really think their runners will be able to run 2-3 seconds faster than their PRs (in short sprints) in the 1st meet of the new season? Especially when their seeded time is better than the time that won the NC state championship the previous year?

Using Fast times for better seeding is a great idea (within reason), but are coaches considering the embarrassment their runner could possibly face by being a highly seeded in a heats where they are most likely going to be outclassed by others with reasonably seeded times? Who would want to go to an HS event where all or most of the registered times where world class or world record times?

I say guilty parties should have their athletes placed in the lowest seeded position for the next meet at the facility and the coach/person who registered them should face additional fees the next time the register for a meet at the facility. JDL is an awesome facility that usually puts on awesome events! Athletes make the events great, but incompetent or dishonest coaches can quickly turn a great opportunity into a waste of time for their and other athletes. Let's get it together people!
12/03/2012 10:53:35 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@kvsmith95 I wonder if Lydia Laws is the real deal seeded #1 in the 300 (35... faster than every guy, including 400m state champ from last outdoor season) and 500 (1:10). Seems like quite the stretch but if she ran close to those times it'll be extremely exciting to watch!
@kvsmith95 I wonder if Lydia Laws is the real deal seeded #1 in the 300 (35... faster than every guy, including 400m state champ from last outdoor season) and 500 (1:10). Seems like quite the stretch but if she ran close to those times it'll be extremely exciting to watch!
12/04/2012 8:19:06 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@jbrunecz - At this point, I'm more intersted in knowing who registered her with those times! I guess we need to call USATF, ESPN and the local media, because she is going to break records at the 1st meet of the season.
@jbrunecz - At this point, I'm more intersted in knowing who registered her with those times! I guess we need to call USATF, ESPN and the local media, because she is going to break records at the 1st meet of the season.
12/11/2012 5:14:45 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I'm Lydia's mom and that was my fault about those marks. I had to register her to run unattached and she has never run those events so I just put something in without realizing it was unrealistic. I was just trying to get to the next page. Now that I have times for Lydia that won't happen again. Sorry to have caused a problem. I guess your right it is stupidity on my part but at least now I have marks to go by.
I'm Lydia's mom and that was my fault about those marks. I had to register her to run unattached and she has never run those events so I just put something in without realizing it was unrealistic. I was just trying to get to the next page. Now that I have times for Lydia that won't happen again. Sorry to have caused a problem. I guess your right it is stupidity on my part but at least now I have marks to go by.
12/11/2012 6:36:28 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Llgymdog Nobody used the word "stupidity," at least not to describe the person entering the seed times. For the record, I wouldn't have called an athlete out by name in a public forum, but at the same time other people have the right to do that if they want (as long as they aren't slandering the individual or being nasty). Lydia is a great runner (3A state champ in the 300 hurdles, right?), and she ran well on Saturday. It sounds like you learned something from the episode, and hopefully others did, too. I noticed that she was re-seeded at the meet, and I am guessing that means you contacted meet management ahead of time to fix the error. That shows your true intentions were not malicious, and I think that's the thing that matters. One mistake is not the issue. We have coaches who systematically and deliberately fabricate entry times, cheating deserving kids out of their proper seeds. Then, we have coaches that consistently fail to do basic research to remedy their ignorance, or are too lazy to think about what their athletes can run right now so they put in a PR from last season. Those are the ones we hope to influence through peer pressure. I'm sorry you got caught up in that movement.
@Llgymdog Nobody used the word "stupidity," at least not to describe the person entering the seed times. For the record, I wouldn't have called an athlete out by name in a public forum, but at the same time other people have the right to do that if they want (as long as they aren't slandering the individual or being nasty). Lydia is a great runner (3A state champ in the 300 hurdles, right?), and she ran well on Saturday. It sounds like you learned something from the episode, and hopefully others did, too. I noticed that she was re-seeded at the meet, and I am guessing that means you contacted meet management ahead of time to fix the error. That shows your true intentions were not malicious, and I think that's the thing that matters.

One mistake is not the issue. We have coaches who systematically and deliberately fabricate entry times, cheating deserving kids out of their proper seeds. Then, we have coaches that consistently fail to do basic research to remedy their ignorance, or are too lazy to think about what their athletes can run right now so they put in a PR from last season. Those are the ones we hope to influence through peer pressure. I'm sorry you got caught up in that movement.
12/11/2012 6:51:45 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachGeorgeRJR thank you for being so nice and yes I learned my lesson. I've never done this before and running unattached at JDL is the only way Lydia will be able to run at most of the meets. I feel so stupid hahaha that's why I said that. And thank you for the kind words about Lydia. She loves running track with all her heart and I'm trying as a mom to get her where she wants to be, and yes we got it straight before the meet. I was so glad about that. God bless you and have a great Chrismas.
@CoachGeorgeRJR thank you for being so nice and yes I learned my lesson. I've never done this before and running unattached at JDL is the only way Lydia will be able to run at most of the meets. I feel so stupid hahaha that's why I said that. And thank you for the kind words about Lydia. She loves running track with all her heart and I'm trying as a mom to get her where she wants to be, and yes we got it straight before the meet. I was so glad about that. God bless you and have a great Chrismas.
12/11/2012 8:48:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Llgymdog No worries. I agree 100% with what Coach George said. It's an honest mistake, unlike a lot of misseedings that look great on paper but just embarrass their athletes when they're in way too fast of a heat. At least you corrected it too. That says a lot about you. I actually didn't know who Lydia was at all. I was hoping that someone was going to reply back to give me some insight. I was hoping that she was close to those times and we would all witness something amazing. Congrats to her though because she still ran some very good times!
@Llgymdog No worries. I agree 100% with what Coach George said. It's an honest mistake, unlike a lot of misseedings that look great on paper but just embarrass their athletes when they're in way too fast of a heat. At least you corrected it too. That says a lot about you. I actually didn't know who Lydia was at all. I was hoping that someone was going to reply back to give me some insight. I was hoping that she was close to those times and we would all witness something amazing. Congrats to her though because she still ran some very good times!
12/11/2012 8:58:33 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@jbrunecz thank you also for being understanding. I bet Lydia wishes she could run those times too! Haha this has been embarrassing for me but I am new at this so thank goodness I have times now to go on. Thanks for your kind words and God Bless you and have a great Christmas.
@jbrunecz thank you also for being understanding. I bet Lydia wishes she could run those times too! Haha this has been embarrassing for me but I am new at this so thank goodness I have times now to go on. Thanks for your kind words and God Bless you and have a great Christmas.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.