Arden Vessie opened her season at Wendell Park with a 19:12, only 12 seconds behind her state meet time from 2013.
- 5,000 Meter Run - Arden Vessie (Corinth Holders) 19:12.11 SB; Maddy Ringenbach (Ravenscroft School) 19:40.57 SB; Haley Schaeffer (Jacksonville) 20:28.97 SB;
Transfers will have a big impact on the North Carolina cross country season, and Philip Hall is really fast.
Kayla Holder is in a new uniform, and Maddie McHugh is in a new state, and now they're both in the top 10 all-time at this meet.
Watch Philip Hall at his new school of South View High School (NC) win the Providence Invitational on August 23rd at McAlpine Greenway Park in Charlotte with the fastest 5K cross country time in the country so far this season in 15:19.
Four out of the top five boys teams, and three out of the top five girls teams in the returning rankings are set to compete at McAlpine on Saturday morning.
The first full 5K of the season on a fast McAlpine course will show which teams are serious about winning a state title come November.
- 5,000 Meter Run - Kayla Holder (Wake Forest) 18:13.00 SB; Jaeden Phelix (Piedmont) 20:10.00 SB; Maddie McHugh (Hough, William A) 18:19.00 SB; Nikkita Elminowski (Piedmont) 20:17.00 SB; Marissa Bishop (Cardinal Gibbons) 18:30.00 SB; Madeline Sides (North Lincoln) 20:27.00 SB; Alexa King (Marvin Ridge) 18:35.00 SB; Holly Bailey (Lake Norman) 18:38.00 SB; Sophie Ebihara (Cardinal Gibbons) 18:44.00 SB; Frances Massey (East Lincoln ) 18:50.00 SB; Kiley Aymor (Ardrey Kell) 18:57.00 SB; Malia Ellington (Community School of Davidson) 19:01.00 SB; Lindsey Lanier (Providence) 19:09.00 SB; Elly Henes (Green Hope) 19:16.00 SB; Alexia Noch (Cuthbertson High School) 19:28.00 SB; Morgan Adams (Green Hope) 19:31.00 SB; Katie Tomasi (Green Hope) 19:33.00 SB; Taylor Delaney (South View) 19:36.00 SB; Kayla Glova (Providence) 19:43.00 SB; Morgan Garrett (Weddington High School) 19:44.00 SB; Paige McKinney (Hough, William A) 19:45.00 SB; Kelly Fitzgerald (Green Hope) 19:46.00 SB; Cayla Rodney (Cary) 19:46.00 SB; Natalie Andrejchak (Robinson, Jay M) 19:49.00 SB; Frankie Schoning (Hilton Head) 19:50.00 SB; Ashley Smith (West Forsyth) 19:50.00 SB; Elizabeth McSoley (Sanderson) 19:55.00 SB; Mallory Liggett (Hilton Head) 19:57.00 SB; Lilly Price (East Chapel Hill) 20:00.00 SB; Theresa Enright (Green Hope) 20:01.00 SB; Josie Jordan (Ardrey Kell) 20:08.00 SB; Sarah LaTour (Cuthbertson High School) 20:09.00 SB; Kylie Hennessey (Marvin Ridge) 20:13.00 SB; Helen Griffith (Providence) 20:14.00 SB; Elisa Sargent (Green Hope) 20:16.00 SB; Alina Rovnak (Cardinal Gibbons) 20:17.00 SB; Claire Strickler (Providence) 20:18.00 SB; Lauren Ammons (Sanderson) 20:19.00 SB; Jennae Jacob (Marvin Ridge) 20:20.00 SB; Annie Pierce (Cardinal Gibbons) 20:21.00 SB; Hayden Callahan (Cardinal Gibbons) 20:24.00 SB; Abby Doyle (Cardinal Gibbons) 20:25.00 SB; Abbigale Gross (Hilton Head) 20:27.00 SB; Sheridan Wood (Green Hope) 20:28.00 SB; Zoey Bezanson (Lake Norman) 20:30.00 SB;
- 5,000 Meter Run - Philip Hall (South View) 15:19.00 SB; Zachary Marchinko (Carson, Jesse C) 15:58.00 SB; Jeremy Brown (Broughton) 15:33.00 SB; Tim Coffey (Mooresville) 16:08.00 SB; Ben Gilman (Hilton Head) 15:50.00 SB; Conor Honeycutt (East Rowan) 16:24.00 SB; Connor Lane (Cardinal Gibbons) 15:50.00 SB; Blanton Gillespie (Shelby) 16:33.00 SB; Cisco Ferré (Hilton Head) 15:53.00 SB; Matthew Rogers (Walkertown ) 16:35.00 SB; David Edwards (Cardinal Gibbons) 15:53.00 SB; Fisher Ramsey (East Mecklenburg) 16:40.00 SB; Jt Klimek (Cardinal Gibbons) 15:54.00 SB; Zach Wesson (North Lincoln) 16:44.00 SB; Robert Simmons (Broughton) 15:57.00 SB; Nick Erwin (Mooresville) 16:59.00 SB; Alex Cornwell (Hickory Ridge) 16:00.00 SB; Connor Peeples (Cardinal Gibbons) 16:01.00 SB; Kenny Kneisel (Mount Tabor) 16:01.00 SB; Connor McDonald (East Chapel Hill) 16:04.00 SB; Ethan Ready (East Chapel Hill) 16:04.00 SB; Peter Millsaps (Broughton) 16:05.00 SB; Colton Lawson (Northern Durham) 16:06.00 SB; Jose Rosas (Sanderson) 16:08.00 SB; Will Sandin (Broughton) 16:12.00 SB; Jackson Ellenburg (Ashley Ridge) 16:16.00 SB; Javier Alejandro (South View) 16:18.00 SB; Mitchell Resor (Weddington High School) 16:19.00 SB; Eladio Wilkinson (Hilton Head) 16:20.00 SB; James Gildard (East Chapel Hill) 16:22.00 SB; Matthew Conner (Weddington High School) 16:23.00 SB; Sam Grelck (Cardinal Gibbons) 16:25.00 SB; Will Harris (Cardinal Gibbons) 16:26.00 SB; Tanner Sutter (Providence) 16:35.00 SB; Jake Blizzard (Marvin Ridge) 16:36.00 SB; Brad Walter (Mount Tabor) 16:36.00 SB; Henry Pehr (Green Hope) 16:37.00 SB; Justin Dorner-Thomas (Broughton) 16:43.00 SB; Alex Hazan (Weddington High School) 16:47.00 SB; Lanier Derbyshire (Broughton) 16:48.00 SB; Ty Sauerbrey (Lake Norman) 16:50.00 SB; T j Kirby (Blythewood) 16:52.00 SB; Jack Mastandrea (Lake Norman) 16:52.00 SB; Ryan Hobbs (Weddington High School) 16:57.00 SB; Phillip Evans (Hilton Head) 16:59.00 SB; Austin Payeur (Marvin Ridge) 17:00.00 SB;
Another very early weekend of high school cross country action on the 4th weekend of August, but more momentum is building towards when all 50 states will be back to racing this fall. On Thursday, two high quality season openers were found in Colorado on the state meet course in Colorado Springs with the Cheyenne Mountain Stampede, while big names such as Conner Mantz and Lucy Biles debuted this season at the Highland Invitational in Utah.
Makenzie Jones and Morristown-West came to North Carolina and made a statement heard back in Tennessee.
Despite the heat and humidity and a conservative race plan, Tanis Baldwin still posted a strong opening time.
The Jackson Park course has an infamous bottleneck that requires runners to get out fast and best the pack to the first turn.
Lily Anderson takes on some serious individual talent, just as T. C. Roberson will be challenged in the team competition.
Tanis Baldwin is the defending champion and the favorite to win this year's 3A individual crown.
Photos: WNC Carnival by CoachGeorgeRJR
|Championship Boys Race||Championship Girls Race||Invitational Boys Race||Invitational Girls Race|
|Makenzie Jones Leads Morristown-West to Dominating WNC Win||Tanis Baldwin Repeats at WNC with a New Plan|
- 5,000 Meter Run - Makenzie Jones (Morristown-West High School) 18:39.10; Lily Anderson (T.C. Roberson) 19:05.80 SB; Kathleen Mansure (Watauga) 19:06.40 SB; Logan Morris (Spartanburg Christian) 19:17.70 SB; Ralene Kwiatkowski (Carolina Day School) 19:28.30 SB; Chantal Wilson (Morristown-West High School) 19:32.30 SB; Delaney Markham (Maryville High School) 19:34.40 SB; Anna Vess (A.C. Reynolds) 19:36.10 SB; Jennifer Stephenson (Village Christian Academy) 20:00.00 SB; Sarah Bodmer (Cary Academy) 20:03.20; Shawnda Martin (Robbinsville) 20:09.70 SB; Katlyn Haas (Morristown-West High School) 20:12.60 SB; Jessica Lord (Morristown-West High School) 20:19.50 SB; Cherie Wilson (Morristown-West High School) 20:22.90 SB; Clare Landis (Providence Day School) 20:29.80 SB;
- 5,000 Meter Run - Tanis Baldwin (East Henderson ) 15:49.60 SB; Micah Williams (Greer Middle College Charter) 16:15.30 SB; Nick Linder (Providence Day School) 15:55.50 SB; Zach Boone (Mitchell) 16:08.70 SB; Jack Paddison (Providence Day School) 16:35.70 SB; Michael Holland (Watauga) 16:46.50 SB; Patrick Hunter (Cannon School) 16:47.20 SB; Josh Mitchell (Cary Academy) 16:54.50; Wynn Johnson (Dorman) 16:59.30 SB;