The sprints and hurdles will be a little easier to win. Thanks to Coach Soash of Crest High School. He made the decision not to enter Harvey McSwain II and Demonte Wilson in the 3A West Regionals. Thank the good Lord these young men have already signed scholarships to run track in college. Because it's obvious their best interest wasn't an option.
- Why? The coach must have some reason.
- @coachmcswain That's an absolute tragedy for fans of this sport. Those two guys, by themselves, could have gotten Crest to second in the 3A state meet, and Harvey could potentially have won 3 state titles. I'm very sad to hear this, but I hope we will still get to see both of them at New Balance Nationals, so they can have a proper conclusion to their senior season.
What was the decision based on?
CoachGeorgeRJR@coachmcswain That's an absolute tragedy for fans of this sport. Those two guys, by themselves, could have gotten Crest to second in the 3A state meet, and Harvey could potentially have won 3 state titles. I'm very sad to hear this, but I hope we will still get to see both of them at New Balance Nationals, so they can have a proper conclusion to their senior season.
Although I agree it is a tragedy for the fans. I do not know if Harvey would have come close to beating TJ Logan (Northern Guilford High School) in the 100m. I guess their head to head record (2012) will always remain (TJ Logan 1/Harvey M 0). It would have been nice to see a rematch but sadly this will not happen now.
In the Spirit of Sport
Platinum Sports Academy/Northern Guilford Assistant
- @CDoug If you know these young men, you know they are great young men first and nationally ranked track athletes. Harvey McSwain II has been dealing with foot problem all season and was receiving professional help to get his foot better and stay in condition and healthy twice a week in Charlotte that was paid for by his family. Plus, he had to train on soft surface to protect foot. He had to do their work out on grass and straight line running. Even though, he would cover the distance in 100s, Coach felt he wasn't doing the workout. Coach Soash knew what Harvey' s doctor had recommend and decide that wasn't his way. He demanded that Harvey and Demonte Wilson train the same way as incoming freshman. By the way, Harvey and Demonte started training in Dec. not the the week of first day of outdoor track. How can you expect this young men to be successful and get ready for the next level you training them the same as an incoming freshman. The good Lord decree things and the good Lord allow things. I believe he has a bigger and better plan for these young men. Harvey is a 4 time state champion and Demonte has won a state title. You will great times from these young men over the summer. They will compete @ Golden South, New Balance, and all the top meets this summer. Last I remember track&field is a individual sport.
- @StengthCoach A valid point, TJ is a beast! Harvey is best at the 200, in my opinion, and you're right, the 100 would have been a challenge. I should point out that Harvey got a bad start in that one race against TJ (he had almost false-started before the starter called them up, then on the second start he was very conservative). Now, we'll never have an answer.
- @CoachGeorgeRJR Harvey would love to see TJ again hopefully TJ will run some summer track. We know TJ is a great football player and a great talent. No excuses, Harvey lost that one race but don't count him out in a rematch. Harvey is better at the 200/400 but his 100 is improving 10.57, he will run faster. Sorry the rematch won't happen next week. Good luck to TJ but Hudson from Berry has run 10.59.
- My hearts goes out to both Harvery and Demonte, knowing both of these young men like I do.
You could not have asked for two of most well-mannered young men.Harvery and Demonte have
reprensented themselves, their family, school and community with the most upmost pride that you can have.I remember last year when Harvey and Demonte was running in the National Youth Championship down in South Carolina.I was at my brother son wedding in Memphis Tenn.I was so busy keeping up with both of them via phone and text messages that I forgot that I was in Memphis to attend a wedding.
They both won the national in their events..I was happy for the both of them and I told the both of them
then that "God Has a Blessing with their name on it" and they both said Thanks Coach.
They was so humble they had such a calmness about them that it was unreal.
I was coach by one the best Coach Russell Blunt, and I ended up being one of his assistant coaches as well. Coach Blunt, coach until he was well into his 80's.He told me that one thing as a coach as
you have to change and adpat with the time. You cannot be so stubbon that you think that your way is always the right way. He said knowledge is the key.That is why me and him went to a lot of
track and field coaches clinic over the years.We use to talk hours and hours on how we going to place our runners to get the most points from them and how we set up our relays up so that we could win.
We had our disagreements but we always was on the same page when it came to coaching the athletes.
We won some meets we should not have won and we lost some meets that we should not have lost.But it goes with the territory as he use to say.
He also said this sometimes you just have to swallow your pride but it okay.You live to see another day.
To Harvey and Demonte I wishing the both of you the very best of luck.I know that you will learn from this and that it make the both of you that much more stronger. You in my prayers and in my thoughts
- @EACNUT Thanks Coach, it's good to know that someone cares and that people like yourselves and Coach George cares even when it's not your young men. These young men are still humble and they thank God every day just for another day to perform. The hard part is how can a coach just dismiss the hard work these young men have put these four years and just take their senior seasons away and don't what kind effect it would have on their lives or careers. TCU and East Carolina are aware of the situation and are just shocked. Thanks for the Love. Harvey and Demonte understand that this is a life lesson and that everyone is not for but when the Lord is for that's more than the world against you. When it's all said and done, Harvey and Demonte will make us proud.
- Harve, I'm sorry about the situation; tell your son and Wilson to keep their heads up and; if they ever become coaches; remember....I'll talk to you more in private when I see you at a meet...Later, Mc Gimpsey-Patton High School
- @MackFHS Thanks Coach, the young men appreciate the love that they have received around the state and country . Some times a coach thinks it's more about their ego and pride and forget the needs of young people under their leadership. Harvey and Demonte are in great spirits. Coaches with agendas shouldn't be in coaching because they really don't realize how much affect they have on young people lives. These young men are truly blessed.