Let her rip . . .
- I guess no one wants to talk. I will go on record to say that NC Science and Math is way better than 4th in 1A. I think they have a legit shot at winning.
Kimmel is a transfer from Durham Academy and is running very well. Curley will probably win the 1A title, so there is quite possibly less than 8 pts. for their front 2, then Yarborough went sub 18:00 last year. Mark my words.
Also, I think in 4A girls . . . 6th through about 15th could mix it up on any given day. I believe that those rankings will continue to change quite a bit.
Finally, Reagan\'s boys ahead of Asheville? Didn\'t Asheville prove themselves when they ran right with TC Roberson at the Buncombe Country meet. Asheville is much better than their WNC performance.
- I will jump in here and say a few thoughts.
Starting with 4A: Myers Park is way underrated in both the boys and girls polls. They were right behind TC at Jackson Park and they have a habit of peaking when it counts. I think a lot of the votes must have taken Seahawk and more recent results and ignored WNC Carnival. (Footnote: Last year, 13 out of 14 State Championship Teams ran at the WNC Carnival. The meet is legit. Correct me if I am wrong.) On the same note, Broughton is way is my sleeper in the 4A mideast. Forget about the fact that the 4A mideast has 16 more schools than any other region, the competition is ridiculous. You can\'t run fast in August or September if you want to make it to States. Broughton will be there and they will be strong. Green Hope, on the other hand, always seem to be very strong this time of year. I hope they can maintain and make the podium stand at States.
In the 3A division:h I think that TC will be tough to race against come November. In the meantime, they will do what all the marquee programs do: train hard, race sparingly, and get ready. On that note, 3A is the division of the year. With the reemergence of Reagan (great coach so watch out) and Mooresville, the 3A races have become just that: races. This will be one to watch in November.
In the 1A/2A world, we are working hard. One team you have never heard of: Cedar Ridge. They are solid from 1-5 and could finish top five in any division. They should be ranked #2 in the 2A division. NCSSM is also a threat. They get a new crop of talented juniors in every year and they train hard.
In the independents, I have been very impressed with the Providence Day girls. I would call them my \"upset\" pick to win the 3A girls race. Jill Yandle will be 3A champ. Bet on it.
- TC Roberson is definitely the team to beat in 3A but not sure any of the East Carolina teams are getting the credit they deserve. Jacksonville is a sleeper that should be ranked 5th or higher. Certainly higher than West Carteret who\'ve they already beaten this year head to head. Suspect they will be a factor in the states as well. Everyone from their young 9th place team last year returned and they picked up a very fast freshman who has turned in some elite times. She should factor in the top 5 3A runners.
- I agree that Cedar Ridge should be number two in 2A boys. They return everyone from a good last years team. Also in 2A boys, who does West Stokes and Reidsville have this year? I know they were the top two 4x8 teams in the state for outdoor but they both lost a ton of seniors. Stokes has the 1:52 800 meter guy, but is he good on the course? Reidsville has Roach, 8th in the state last year, but his whole gang graduated. These are two teams that seem to lack, unlike Cedar Ridge, a strong 1-5. Let me know if they have some new guys or some runners that got a lot better. I also think by the end of the year TC will take Mooresville and the rest of the 3A field at State.
- Over all it looks good but theres some things I would change.
4A- I haven\'t paid too much attention to Mount Tabor, but they seem low for girls and boys. I know one of their girls has been hurt and Dame hasn\'t had the year he was hoping for so far. I thought he & Ryan Hill would be right in it for fastest in the state. I didn\'t count on Wacker. We\'ll have to watch Mount Tabor, but I bet they finish higher than that at the state meet. Weddington is running better than most expected. I\'d like to see Myers Park and Pinecrest do good. PC\'s girls are better than I thought with out the Fields\'s. Wacker has to be the fave now. Will it beFike, Spano, Cozzarelli, Whittington, Lutz in that order for girls/
3A- Reagan boys haven\'t shown they need to be talked about with Mooresville and Roberson. I like Will Taylor for #2 after Hill, but someting tells me Josh Dubin will get him. There girls look like a firm #2. This is a really good team on both sides but don\'t go overboard on them. There boys will not win. I don\'t know about that girl from Jacksonville, but with Ester, Kirby, Brentnell, Van Epern, Chapman, Gaddy, and some of the other girls in the state, I wouldn\'t say she\'s top 5, but who knows. Are Sun Valley girls this good? I like Lake Norman. Coach Scranton said 3A was the hot classification this year. The race for 3A boys team and girls individual titles will be good, but I think 4A is more interesting.
2A- Do you need to know anything more than the initials CG? As long as they\'re a 2A NCHSAA team I wouldn\'t plan on bringing home any first place awards.
1A- I don\'t think many people outside of 1A know that NCSSM is 1A. Bishop McGuniss girls are pretty good. Who wins this for the girls? Elliot?
- i agree with your comments on the 1A/2A world.
- 2A is a very interesting group this year and i agree with your comment.
- Science and math is extremely strong and they proved it at the DA meet 2 saturdays ago.
- On the 1A men\'s side South Stokes should be ahead of Bishop. In 3 head to head meetings this year South Stokes has won all three. Another 1A men\'s team that might should slide in the rankings would be Alleghany who in the latest Northwest 1A preconference meet finished 3 points behind Bishop and has a pretty strong team.
- The North Moore girls should be ranked in the top 10. They have beaten both Chatham Central and South Davidson twice.
What were the times in the Northwest conference pre meet?
- They are posted now.
- 3A Boys- Sun Valley is overrated. Will Taylor is a great runner, but the rest of the team is not good enough to be ranked 6th. White Oak beat them at the Seahawk invitational. Also Reagan does not deserve to be ranked 4th. They have varsity runners in the 19s. White Oak and Williams should definitely move up.
- Good insights...but if the White Oakt girls deserve to move up then Jacksonville deserves to be in the poll too. The Jacksonville girls have beaten White Oak twice and West Carteret once already this season and are only going to get stronger.
- By the looks of the latest girls 2A results DSA ought to move way up the rankings.
- DSA is 2A
- Thanks for the catch.