4x200 meter relay?

• Coach
    Insider
    coach_eazy
    @willijs8 The proposal was sent to the NCHSAA and they rejected it.

Now, for full disclosure, adding another relay would also stretch some teams too thin. Adding the 4x2 indoors will not, in itself, increase participation. What it will do, however is reduce the emphasis on individual athletes in the indoor meet (which I happen to love!). Nothing worse than having an athlete on the team just to run one relay -- waste of training time and energy.
  • Coach
    Insider
    coach_eazy
    @willijs8 Coach, what do you mean by thinning of teams? Participation has never been greater in indoor track. We actually added a couple of teams this year, most notaly Kings Mountain who actually won a medal on the men's side in their first year.

BTW, the unofficial reason given was length of the meet, which boggles my mind. We hit the 3200 in the 1/2/3A Meets at 12:15p on Saturday (2h 15mins after the meet begun). Then with four heats of the 3200 and 5 heats of the 4x4, we end around 1:30p. But to finish a meet in under 4 hours is unheard of.
  • User
    RunnerRunner
    To me, the 4x200 is the relay that makes the most sense in Indoor. It gives the true sprinters a relay to perform in, it's one trip around for each leg, and it's fast and exciting. The 4x400 and 4x800 events seem to have the same participants in Indoor, typically the middle distance and distance athletes that are also doing the 1600, 1000, and 500 events. I'd like to see the sprint relay one day at State Indoor. Perhaps it would also get some more schools interested in putting Indoor teams together. I think JDL has definitely made Indoor more accessible for more people. Expansion would be natural.
  • Coach
    Insider
    coach_eazy
    @RunnerRunner @willijs8 First, believe me when I say NCHSAA does not consider spreading athletes thin when it comes to adding events. That was my personal opinion included at an odd place in this discussion. Second, as much as I love the 4x2 indoors, adding it because other state do is an insult to us, IMHO. Yes, it should have been added in the beginning; however, I think it would behoove us to seek out those who developed indoor track in NC to ascertain their reasoning for not including the 4x2. Lastly, starting an indoor program in a North Carolina public high school is a arduous endeavor. If you, as a coach, do not have the backing of an AD, a principal and the district it will not happen.
  • User
    RunnerRunner
    Frankly, most of our smaller schools in my area of the state are lucky to have any of that backing for any sport other than what they perceive to be the "main" or "revenue" sports. Our track teams provide most of their own funding through their own efforts, yet they are the first teams threatened to be disbanded when budget talks happen. It is very frustrating.
  • User
    RunnerRunner
    I must've jumped in on someone else's argument and complaint. My comment has nothing to do with what other states are doing. I was only talking about giving the sprint athletes a relay and giving the spectators another fun event to watch. With or without it, the State meets were very well run and will only get better with the folks over at JDL involved. State was great in Chapel Hill too, but at JDL things just seem smoother and roomier. It helps the athletes and the spectators to have a more enjoyable experience. At JDL it is also more enjoyable to be able to hear and understand the announcements and commentary. In Chapel Hill, it was so hard to understand the announcements that the athletes seemed to have to stay on edge not to miss a cue. The lack of confusion and the ease of moving around the facility seemed to make the state meets move more quickly more than any other reason (from what I was observing).
  • Coach
    BroughtonHigh Edited
    I'm for the $x200
    I think we should offer it because other states do. My teams qualified for nationals in the 4x200, but we had to travel all the way to VTech to run it, and bc of money we weren't going back if we didn't qualify. So we had 1 shot. So now we're headed to NBIN in NYC competing against teams that have run this race all season long. They've had the chance to work out kinks and to get their bodies adjusted to running a 200. No matter how good our teams are (Knightdale and Wakefield, who also qualified), we're at a disadvantage.