Keeping our athletes in State for college.

• Jamal Willis
    Coach
    willijs8
    I thought that has popped into my head and I have actually discussed with numerous coaches, Why do so many of our best athletes leave North Carolina to attend school? Are the schools in North Carolina not recruiting them, or are the programs not up to par? Just a very curious question with not ridicule intended.
  • User
    Ready2Throw
    Easy answer - I had my two college bound kids research what types of jobs they would want and the companies that excelled in those jobs. Then, find the universities that those companies recruited at. Those were the universities that were producing the top graduates that they needed to be. For my first kid, the best school ended up being a specialized college in Georgia. Nothing in NC came close. For my second kid, the best school for her major ends up being a public state university – again in Georgia. I wish my kids could have stayed closer, but setting your kids on a path to a successful future is the bigger goal.
  • Addison Johnson
    User
    CavVaulter99
    High school mentality. Bigger is better. The top sprinters want to go to big name schools like SEC schools. Some turn out to do great, others get lost in the numbers. Those big programs are traditionally "next man up" programs that if you don't fit their mold you fall to the way side. One thing I have been proud of NC universities is taking the 2,3,4 kids and taking them to be some of the best in the nation. A lot of times the NC university that gets the kid that finishes top 5 at states but does not win ends up turning them into a national qualifier that beats the state champ from that year that goes off to a SEC school.
  • User
    Insider
    gvtucker
    @willijs8

Turn that statement around. There are thousands of colleges and universities in this country where a kid could run. It is rather presumptuous to state that the best place for every kid in North Carolina must be a North Carolina school.
  • User
    Ready2Throw
    willijs8
    @Ready2Throw So are you saying that out of all of the schools in north carolina they could not find a school that fits them academically and athletically?

@willijs8

That would be correct. Real eye opener to us, too, trying to find a match for both academic and athletic. If either student was going after a more common major, things might have been different. There are many outstanding colleges in NC - but not every specialty major is covered in every state. Many, many coaches contacted us to explore recruiting - but only one out-of-state recruiter had the college offering the specialty major my daughter is going for (but due to excessive expenses, she isn't going to that college, either). So, for academic reasons, both are headed out of NC. The reasons for athletes going out-of-state aren't always simple or what you'd expect.

(Another eye opener: 6 college applications went out at the same time; 5 out-of-state and 1 in NC. All 5 out-of-state acceptance letters and various merit scholarships came back to us 1.5 months before the NC college even began processing the application. Way behind the 8 ball in the whole timeline.)
  • Coach
    coach_eazy
    Ready2Throw
    willijs8@Ready2Throw So are you saying that out of all of the schools in north carolina they could not find a school that fits them academically and athletically?

@willijs8

That would be correct. Real eye opener to us, too, trying to find a match for both academic and athletic. If either student was going after a more common major, things might have been different. There are many outstanding colleges in NC - but not every specialty major is covered in every state. Many, many coaches contacted us to explore recruiting - but only one out-of-state recruiter had the college offering the specialty major my daughter is going for (but due to excessive expenses, she isn't going to that college, either). So, for academic reasons, both are headed out of NC. The reasons for athletes going out-of-state aren't always simple or what you'd expect.

(Another eye opener: 6 college applications went out at the same time; 5 out-of-state and 1 in NC. All 5 out-of-state acceptance letters and various merit scholarships came back to us 1.5 months before the NC college even began processing the application. Way behind the 8 ball in the whole timeline.)

@Ready2Throw This is the kind of dialogue I like to see!! Contrary to popular belief, most of these kids are doing what is best for them, not what is best for track and field in North Carolina! Personally, I don't care where a kid goes to school as long as they have the opportunity to attend college and get a degree without having massive debt when they graduate. If I want to see an athlete compete, I am willing to travel to make that happen -- no matter where that may be.
  • User
    Ready2Throw Edited
    @coach_eazy - Since you mentioned it, I'd like to expand on the "degree without having massive debt" in the hope it helps an athlete when college hunting. Depending on the student, their goals, their history of applying themselves to their studies, their major's potential job's wages, etc, there are many cases that the student should consider the benefits of taking on student loans to attend a more expensive school for their major with a higher percentage of job placement upon graduation, than settling for a more affordable school that might have stats showing less graduate job placement for that major. Track & Field has some of the smartest and highest GPA student-athletes and they should be encouraged to explore their options with their future in mind, instead of having road blocks of "stay in state" or "do it without getting into debt".

(Pssst - and for the high academic student with good extracurricular activities, I have several examples of students who had more scholarships from an excellent expensive private college (in Durham) that made it CHEAPER to go there than one of the excellent public colleges in the same area (Chapel Hill). Don't put up walls stopping your own future success without exploring the options in detail.) (I'll step off my soapbox of College Hunting PSA now... )
  • Coach
    BroughtonHigh
    It also seems that many of the school in NC don't recruit sprinters. NC State seems to be changing, Duke doesn't, UNC doesn't, Wake Forest.... The only big school in NC that really actively go after sprints are NCA&T and ECU. Many of the top sprinters end up at South Carolina. Things look a little different this year, but traditionally that model fits.